Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Best Harness for my needs?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


Shabby


Feb 17, 2013, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 46 (7462 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 16, 2013
Posts: 9

Best Harness for my needs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, just asking a simple question...

I'm getting a harness for my climbing, but I will be primarily doing indoor and sport climbs.
I am leaning towards the Blackdiamond harness' so what is the best BD harness for my needs?

I have been having a look at the Momentum SA, because I also want to have something that I can use for trad if ever needed.

Cheers,
Shabby


shotwell


Feb 17, 2013, 6:09 PM
Post #2 of 46 (7425 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Posts: 366

Re: [Shabby] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Shabby wrote:
Hey guys, just asking a simple question...

I'm getting a harness for my climbing, but I will be primarily doing indoor and sport climbs.
I am leaning towards the Blackdiamond harness' so what is the best BD harness for my needs?

I have been having a look at the Momentum SA, because I also want to have something that I can use for trad if ever needed.

Cheers,
Shabby

If it fits, that would be a fine harness. Ideally you'll be able to try it out in store. Being a fairly popular model, you should be able to.


Shabby


Feb 17, 2013, 6:21 PM
Post #3 of 46 (7421 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 16, 2013
Posts: 9

Re: [shotwell] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thankyou for the reply.

Fortunately the only store in my city has it xD


bearbreeder


Feb 17, 2013, 6:56 PM
Post #4 of 46 (7409 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Shabby] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

as said if it fits youll be fine

the momentum lasts a long time ... 5 years and still strong

just replaced it this year with a 20 smackaroo harness Wink


acorneau


Feb 19, 2013, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 46 (7272 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [Shabby] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shabby wrote:
Fortunately the only store in my city has it xD


My suggestion is to go to said store and try on every harness they have. (By "try on" I mean put it on and hang in it for ~30 seconds fully suspended.)

That should give you a good idea of what harness fits you best. Buy that one.


Kartessa


Feb 19, 2013, 7:34 PM
Post #6 of 46 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [acorneau] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Shabby wrote:
Fortunately the only store in my city has it xD


My suggestion is to go to said store and try on every harness they have. (By "try on" I mean put it on and hang in it for ~30 seconds fully suspended.)

That should give you a good idea of what harness fits you best. Buy that one.

You make me hate my job.

9/10 times when you try ONE harness on, it's pretty darn comfortable (as comfy as a harness can be), especially when compared with the seatbelt style rentals you find in most gyms. Nothing wrong with comparing a couple, but if I tried on 22 different pairs of pants, I wouldn't be able to remember how the first one fit versus the last one.

I tell customers to pick and try on a few (3-4), not every one. Where I work, we sell 22 different harnesses in prices ranging from $25 to $135.

A process that I find works most of the time (95% success rate):

1. Pick your favourite colour

2. Try on the harness.

If you find a major issue, like leg loops are too tight or loose, rubbing, pinching, hot spots, poking... then it's not for you, and go back to step 1. There are exceptions to this, like when someone needs a specialized harness, but for the large majority of your "My-first-harness" types out there, this will be fine.


bearbreeder


Feb 19, 2013, 8:56 PM
Post #7 of 46 (7243 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

try on every darn harness ... find the best fitting one ...

just like shoes

you have the time and its not like the harnesses are in the back at MEC ... self serve ... besides those NICE MEC employees are there to make their members happy Tongue

its that simple ... again Wink


Kartessa


Feb 19, 2013, 9:00 PM
Post #8 of 46 (7238 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [bearbreeder] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
try on every darn harness ... find the best fitting one ...

just like shoes

you have the time and its not like the harnesses are in the back at MEC ... self serve ... besides those NICE MEC employees are there to make their members happy Tongue

its that simple ... again Wink

You seriously try on every pair of shoes?!

More money than brains... More time than sense


Kartessa


Feb 19, 2013, 9:02 PM
Post #9 of 46 (7236 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
try on every darn harness ... find the best fitting one ...

just like shoes

you have the time and its not like the harnesses are in the back at MEC ... self serve ... besides those NICE MEC employees are there to make their members happy Tongue

its that simple ... again Wink

You seriously try on every pair of shoes?!

More money than brains... More time than sense

In a half size up and a half size down, to be sure


bearbreeder


Feb 19, 2013, 9:05 PM
Post #10 of 46 (7229 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

You seriously try on every pair of shoes?!

More money than brains... More time than sense

how rude of you Wink

i try on EVERY pair of shoe at MEC ... even the womens versions ... to find the one that FITS best

and i buy the ones that fits best for what i wanna do at the price i wanna pay

its that simple ... again Tongue

or is there some RC secret your gonna die thing if you try on all the shoes you can Shocked


Kartessa


Feb 19, 2013, 9:34 PM
Post #11 of 46 (7217 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [bearbreeder] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

You seriously try on every pair of shoes?!

More money than brains... More time than sense

how rude of you Wink

i try on EVERY pair of shoe at MEC ... even the womens versions ... to find the one that FITS best

and i buy the ones that fits best for what i wanna do at the price i wanna pay

its that simple ... again Tongue

or is there some RC secret your gonna die thing if you try on all the shoes you can Shocked

But since when does a beginner know exactly how something should feel and the difference between the dozens of options?


bearbreeder


Feb 19, 2013, 9:56 PM
Post #12 of 46 (7211 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
But since when does a beginner know exactly how something should feel and the difference between the dozens of options?


theyll never know if they dont try them on the wall

usually even newbs can tell when a shoe DOESNT fit

start from there

FIT is everything ... and to find out what fits or doesnt fit, you need to TRY em on

its that simple Wink


donnie


Feb 20, 2013, 7:48 AM
Post #13 of 46 (7162 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 13

Re: [Shabby] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

a first harness can last several years, so take the time and find one that will be comfortable for you. There is no rule that says you have to hurry and grab the first one you see. As a beginner, you will probably spend some bit of time hang-doggin on routes, and you'll want to be comfy while you make your belayer work haha. honestly though, take some time, try a few on, hang in them, see what works best for you. most harnesses nowadays are really comfy and work for a multitude of uses and climbing styles, so look at options on the harnesses as well. do you want adjustible leg loops, or the ease of not having to double-back your harness straps, etc. with bd harnesses you have to double back your straps, which isnt a big deal, just another step to remember (or forget...oops). I use the Petzl Adjama, and love it. ive used it for everything from 50 foot sport routes to thousand foot + alpine and gear climbs. it pays to find "the one", so dont be afraid to take some time. it's your money and gear, get what works best and feels best for you.


donnie


Feb 20, 2013, 7:49 AM
Post #14 of 46 (7160 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 13

Re: [bearbreeder] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

You seriously try on every pair of shoes?!

More money than brains... More time than sense

how rude of you Wink

i try on EVERY pair of shoe at MEC ... even the womens versions ... to find the one that FITS best

and i buy the ones that fits best for what i wanna do at the price i wanna pay

its that simple ... again Tongue

or is there some RC secret your gonna die thing if you try on all the shoes you can Shocked

maybe not RC, could be a secret-ish sales assistant thing though....


Kartessa


Feb 20, 2013, 8:46 AM
Post #15 of 46 (7149 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [donnie] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The OP is looking for an indoor/sport harness.

Its just not that complicated.

You pick one that's pretty, check that it has room for quickdraws, you know how to do it up, put it on and check that the fit is right, hang in it and see that its comfortable.

If everything works on the first try, feel free to try a second one, or even a third for comparison. If you find something better, go for it, and try another one too, just to be sure, but if you're barely noticing a difference, its because these days, harnesses are so similar and padded.


Kartessa


Feb 20, 2013, 8:48 AM
Post #16 of 46 (7148 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [donnie] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

donnie wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

You seriously try on every pair of shoes?!

More money than brains... More time than sense

how rude of you Wink

i try on EVERY pair of shoe at MEC ... even the womens versions ... to find the one that FITS best

and i buy the ones that fits best for what i wanna do at the price i wanna pay

its that simple ... again Tongue

or is there some RC secret your gonna die thing if you try on all the shoes you can Shocked

maybe not RC, could be a secret-ish sales assistant thing though....

So long as he stays on his coast, I won't cut his rope


bearbreeder


Feb 20, 2013, 9:03 AM
Post #17 of 46 (7139 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
The OP is looking for an indoor/sport harness.

Its just not that complicated.

You pick one that's pretty, check that it has room for quickdraws, you know how to do it up, put it on and check that the fit is right, hang in it and see that its comfortable.

If everything works on the first try, feel free to try a second one, or even a third for comparison. If you find something better, go for it, and try another one too, just to be sure, but if you're barely noticing a difference, its because these days, harnesses are so similar and padded.

i tried on every harness at MEC recently ... each one fit different enough for me not to buy it

until i found the best fitting harness at some store ... some 20$ el cheapo apex equator ... which i tested with multiple whippers of course

the edelrid jay gave me squishy ballz syndrome ... in fact i know someone who bought that harness, took a test whipper, sang like a soprano for a week ... and took the harness back to MEC telling the nice lady "it squished my ballz" ... he didnt spend enough time trying on every other harness Tongue

its the "newbs" time, and the harnesses are usually kept out from ... so its their time to "waste" ... and its their money

FIT is EVERYTHING Wink


donnie


Feb 20, 2013, 9:45 AM
Post #18 of 46 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 13

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hahahaha


Kartessa


Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 AM
Post #19 of 46 (7111 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [bearbreeder] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
The OP is looking for an indoor/sport harness.

Its just not that complicated.

You pick one that's pretty, check that it has room for quickdraws, you know how to do it up, put it on and check that the fit is right, hang in it and see that its comfortable.

If everything works on the first try, feel free to try a second one, or even a third for comparison. If you find something better, go for it, and try another one too, just to be sure, but if you're barely noticing a difference, its because these days, harnesses are so similar and padded.

i tried on every harness at MEC recently ... each one fit different enough for me not to buy it

until i found the best fitting harness at some store ... some 20$ el cheapo apex equator ... which i tested with multiple whippers of course

the edelrid jay gave me squishy ballz syndrome ... in fact i know someone who bought that harness, took a test whipper, sang like a soprano for a week ... and took the harness back to MEC telling the nice lady "it squished my ballz" ... he didnt spend enough time trying on every other harness Tongue

its the "newbs" time, and the harnesses are usually kept out from ... so its their time to "waste" ... and its their money

FIT is EVERYTHING Wink

I just take whatever I can get for free and live with it... never had a problem beyond a numb ass when hanging for 2+ Hours.


bearbreeder


Feb 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Post #20 of 46 (7109 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I just take whatever I can get for free and live with it... never had a problem beyond a numb ass when hanging for 2+ Hours.

you lack squishy ballz Tongue


Kartessa


Feb 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #21 of 46 (7104 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [bearbreeder] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
I just take whatever I can get for free and live with it... never had a problem beyond a numb ass when hanging for 2+ Hours.

you lack squishy ballz Tongue

'Cuz I'm not constantly fellating myself in the corner.


(This post was edited by Kartessa on Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 AM)


bearbreeder


Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #22 of 46 (7098 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Kartessa] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
'Cuz I'm not constantly fellating myself in the corner.

how RUDE !!!

Shocked


donnie


Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #23 of 46 (7073 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 13

Re: [bearbreeder] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Kartessa's been spying on you i see. and he's not fellating himself, he's doing research on alternative grip methods on lowballs and screamer tensile strength when under load...Tongue


Awensrose


Feb 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #24 of 46 (6796 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2013
Posts: 3

Re: [Shabby] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

my husband just got the momentum in this week... looks great and he says it comfortable.... we do indoor/gym climbing.....


tsich21


Feb 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #25 of 46 (6790 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 12

Re: [Shabby] Best Harness for my needs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The best thing to do is go try them on, and make sure they have a place you can hang on them. I personally like the Mammut harnesses better. I went in planning to buy a BD momentum and found the Mammut Ophir 3 more comfortable.

Go to a real climbing shop, hang around in them and buy the most comfortable one for your body and budget.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$77.36 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook