Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Rename: adjusting to new shoe styles (see last post)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

codral

Feb 21, 2013, 5:34 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1325 views)
Shortcut

Rename: adjusting to new shoe styles (see last post)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

My shoes are about 10 years old now, have probably only done two years of climbing in them over that time... Yep, feet haven't grown since 16, although toes are a bit sore at the base if I don't have enough excess lace (tight on my feet, loose as you look at the shoe)

I'm doing a fair amount of bouldering atm, as well as walls, so I am considering upgrading to something a bit more pointy, bouldering style, that's still comfortable.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has seen or have their own reviews on my current shoes, the Saltic Spirit.

All I Can find is this:

http://www.gearreview.com/climbshoes_704.php#spirit

Have also just found a pair on the Saltic Website but they're a revised model... with contours on the heel :o

The reason I ask is because I have nothing to compare it to myself, and if these shoes are actually really good I'll just pay to get em re-soled...
They're pretty worn now, and it won't be long before they start peeling off..

I remember when I purchased them asking for a beginner shoe, so was thinking I should probably take the next step, if it'll help my climbing.

Cheers!

(This post was edited by codral on Feb 22, 2013, 9:53 PM)

shockabuku

Feb 21, 2013, 7:28 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codral] Anyone got a shoe review Saltic Spirit/ upgrade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

codral wrote:
Hey guys,

My shoes are about 10 years old now, have probably only done two years of climbing in them over that time... Yep, feet haven't grown since 16, although toes are a bit sore at the base if I don't have enough excess lace (tight on my feet, loose as you look at the shoe)

I'm doing a fair amount of bouldering atm, as well as walls, so I am considering upgrading to something a bit more pointy, bouldering style, that's still comfortable.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has seen or have their own reviews on my current shoes, the Saltic Spirit.

All I Can find is this:

http://www.gearreview.com/climbshoes_704.php#spirit

Have also just found a pair on the Saltic Website but they're a revised model... with contours on the heel :o

The reason I ask is because I have nothing to compare it to myself, and if these shoes are actually really good I'll just pay to get em re-soled...
They're pretty worn now, and it won't be long before they start peeling off..

I remember when I purchased them asking for a beginner shoe, so was thinking I should probably take the next step, if it'll help my climbing.

Cheers!

Wow, I didn't realize Saltic still made shoes. I used to have a pair a long time ago but haven't seen any in a while. I looked at their website and the newer models look fairly nice. If the pair you have isn't working well for you then I'd get new ones. I suspect they're stiffly soled so they probably aren't ideal for bouldering but if they meet your needs then why get new ones? The next step is probably in your movement, not in your shoes.

codral

Feb 22, 2013, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Anyone got a shoe review Saltic Spirit/ upgrade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah well theyre up for a resole... ended up taking the shoes into the store to get em to quote for resole... yhen changed mimd and bought la sportiva katana... improveme is amazing, heaps more feedback and concentrates the weight way better, very happy!

shockabuku

Feb 22, 2013, 9:09 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codral] Anyone got a shoe review Saltic Spirit/ upgrade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you.

codral

Feb 22, 2013, 9:14 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Anyone got a shoe review Saltic Spirit/ upgrade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Further to this... Haaaate these shoes.

The rubber is so thick that you can't feel anything and smearing is all but impossible using the front of the shoe... the point that it forces your toe into is hard to fill because it's so sharp and the old ones had much better feedback. The support is good for the middle but that's about it.

Sooo, gonna try climb a little more and change the way I climb to match the shoes a bit but will probably just try get a resole of my old ones and sell these cheaply

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook