Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Gunks weather/climate Easter (late March)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


dagibbs


Feb 22, 2013, 7:53 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 887

Gunks weather/climate Easter (late March)  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Upstate: The_Gunks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A group of us from Ottawa are thinking of making a trip down to the Gunks for Easter weekend (March 30th or so, this year) and we were wondering what the weather tends to be like around that time of year. I know one can't predict this year's weather -- but what are the temperature ranges? Does this tend to be a reasonable time for climbing, especially given we don't mind climbing in chilly weather? How wet with run-off does the rock tend to be? Any other issues or concerns we should have?

(This would be our first trip to the Gunks for all of us. We're generally moderate climbers; generally comfortable on a 5.7-5.8 trad lead in Red Rocks for example, or 5.9-5.10a sport at Rumney.)


gblauer
Moderator

Feb 22, 2013, 9:22 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2002
Posts: 2814

Re: [dagibbs] Gunks weather/climate Easter (late March) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey...it can be cold, warm, wet, or dry or all of the above!

Can't predict. If it's dry (and you can handle potential cold weather), then you will be able to climb.

Where there is a will there is a way...if you make the investment in time to get there, I am sure you will find a way to climb. It may not be optimal...

Let me know if you are coming, I am up there all the time. Happy to show you around.


dagibbs


Feb 22, 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 887

Re: [gblauer] Gunks weather/climate Easter (late March) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Hey...it can be cold, warm, wet, or dry or all of the above!

Can't predict. If it's dry (and you can handle potential cold weather), then you will be able to climb.

Where there is a will there is a way...if you make the investment in time to get there, I am sure you will find a way to climb. It may not be optimal...

Let me know if you are coming, I am up there all the time. Happy to show you around.

We don't tend to mind coldish, dry, and sun, especially if the cliff exposure is west to south. Wet, not so good, of course; and cold & wet is just miserable.

It sounds like it is going to need to be a last minute final commitment type decision -- look at the weather forecasts in the week running up to that weekend, and go from there.

I appreciate the offer to show us around, that would be great. Having a local to show one around a new crag is really helpful -- I've got a copy of a guide to the Gunks which looks fairly recent, IIRC, but local beta is great, if nothing else, for getting oriented at the crag, and figuring out what the picture in the book corresponds to.


mojomonkey


Feb 22, 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1360 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 843

Re: [dagibbs] Gunks weather/climate Easter (late March) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I've got a copy of a guide to the Gunks which looks fairly recent, IIRC, but local beta is great, if nothing else, for getting oriented at the crag, and figuring out what the picture in the book corresponds to.

Hopefully it is not this guide (some discussion of its failings here). You can likely get by with Mountain Project for a weekend though, and maybe asking other climbers. And if Gail takes you around, you should be all set.

If you are looking to get a guide though, you'll want the Dick Williams guides. Probably just the Trapps one for a weekend. Peterskill is a good place for a new group to get accustomed to the Gunks too, and has a small guide too.


dagibbs


Feb 22, 2013, 3:43 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 887

Re: [mojomonkey] Gunks weather/climate Easter (late March) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
I've got a copy of a guide to the Gunks which looks fairly recent, IIRC, but local beta is great, if nothing else, for getting oriented at the crag, and figuring out what the picture in the book corresponds to.

Hopefully it is not this guide (some discussion of its failings here). You can likely get by with Mountain Project for a weekend though, and maybe asking other climbers. And if Gail takes you around, you should be all set.

If you are looking to get a guide though, you'll want the Dick Williams guides. Probably just the Trapps one for a weekend. Peterskill is a good place for a new group to get accustomed to the Gunks too, and has a small guide too.

I was wrong about my guide being new -- I have The Gunks Guide by Todd Swain. Hopefully, a reasonable guide.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$16.16 (10% off)
$175.73 (10% off)
$193.46 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook