Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Introduction to Rock Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 


Elektra


Feb 28, 2013, 11:28 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2400 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 7

Introduction to Rock Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. I am taking an Introduction to Rock Climbing 2- day course with a mountain guide. Would it be helpful if I obtained some practice at a climbing gym beforehand?

Thanks for your advice,

Elektra Smile


wivanoff


Feb 28, 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 23, 2007
Posts: 144

Re: [Elektra] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Why not? If you already knew how to tie in and belay because of your gym experience, you might be able to move on to other things with the guide sooner.


jmeizis


Feb 28, 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2360 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 25, 2006
Posts: 630

Re: [Elektra] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Is it a private course or you and a bunch of other people?

If it's a private course then it'd be good to know some stuff because then they can move on and cover more stuff.

If it's a group of you and other people you don't know it's likely at least one person in the group won't have a clue at what's going on and the whole group will be slowed down to their pace. In which case it's not going to hurt and may even help a little but could also be kind of a waste of money.


(This post was edited by jmeizis on Feb 28, 2013, 12:55 PM)


Kartessa


Feb 28, 2013, 1:10 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [Elektra] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Elektra wrote:
Hi. I am taking an Introduction to Rock Climbing 2- day course with a mountain guide. Would it be helpful if I obtained some practice at a climbing gym beforehand?

Thanks for your advice,

Elektra Smile

You won't regret getting a little basic knowledge and some movement and technique before you go.


qwert


Mar 1, 2013, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [Elektra] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Elektra wrote:
Hi. I am taking an Introduction to Rock Climbing 2- day course with a mountain guide. Would it be helpful if I obtained some practice at a climbing gym beforehand?
"with a mountain guide"
So that sounds a bit like it will be "in the mountains"? If so, some gym course might not be helpful. While gym climbing and alpine climbing are related (you are climbing up a more or less steep "something" while using a rope) they are quite different when it comes to rope work and safety techniques.

I would suggest to just ask your guide how he plans to do the course and if he would reccomended that you learn some stuff beforehand or not.

qwert


wivanoff


Mar 1, 2013, 8:32 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2216 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 23, 2007
Posts: 144

Re: [qwert] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
"with a mountain guide"
So that sounds a bit like it will be "in the mountains"? If so, some gym course might not be helpful. While gym climbing and alpine climbing are related (you are climbing up a more or less steep "something" while using a rope) they are quite different when it comes to rope work and safety techniques.

I would suggest to just ask your guide how he plans to do the course and if he would reccomended that you learn some stuff beforehand or not.

qwert

qwert, do you think "Introduction to Rockclimbing" would be alpine climbing in the mountains? If it is, I'll sign up ;)


Kartessa


Mar 1, 2013, 8:45 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [wivanoff] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wivanoff wrote:
qwert wrote:
"with a mountain guide"
So that sounds a bit like it will be "in the mountains"? If so, some gym course might not be helpful. While gym climbing and alpine climbing are related (you are climbing up a more or less steep "something" while using a rope) they are quite different when it comes to rope work and safety techniques.

I would suggest to just ask your guide how he plans to do the course and if he would reccomended that you learn some stuff beforehand or not.

qwert

qwert, do you think "Introduction to Rockclimbing" would be alpine climbing in the mountains? If it is, I'll sign up ;)

I always find it hilarious when people call gym climbing "Mountain Climbing"


jp_sucks


Mar 1, 2013, 8:47 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 240

Re: [qwert] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A "mountain guide" is someone who has attained full guide certification in rock, alpine and ski guiding. This is the international (IFMGA) standard.

So yes, a "mountain guide" can teach rock climbing courses.


Elektra


Mar 2, 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [wivanoff] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. I haven't been to a gym yet, but will try to take a basic course in belaying, etc. Thanks for your advice.

ElektraSmile
In reply to:


Elektra


Mar 2, 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [jmeizis] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'm the only person on the course and haven't tried climbing since 1975. I think I'll try to take some basics beforehand and also ask the guide if he thinks this would be helpful.

Thanks for your reply,


Elektra Smile


Elektra


Mar 2, 2013, 10:28 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [Kartessa] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, Thanks for your advice and wish me luck.

All the best,

Elektra Smile


Elektra


Mar 2, 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [qwert] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I'll contact the guide and ask what he thinks I should do.

All the best,

Elektra Smile


Elektra


Mar 2, 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [jp_sucks] Introduction to Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. You are right. I went snow climbing and hiking with this guide and didn't need to take any courses beforehand. He obviously knew what he was doing and what I was capable of doing.

Thanks for the advice.

Elektra Smile


Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook