Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Hello !!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 


Mikeeman


Feb 28, 2013, 5:30 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2013
Posts: 7

Hello !!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All,

Mike is my name, i am from sydney. I am about to embark on some indoor rock climbing. I decided to start this for weight loss and fitness. I am a bigger boy, and i expect it to be hard, and i hope that every week it will get easier and easier.

I guess i want to get into a sport that motivates me to go further.

What sort of goals do people have on this forum. what do they aim to achieve with practice and training. What sort of goals should i be aiming for in the immediate future next year etc

I have a work mate who is going to be my climbing partner for now, i hope that in the future i can find/meet a group of people who love adventure

Love to hear your stories/goals


qwert


Mar 1, 2013, 2:01 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Posts: 2394

Re: [Mikeeman] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mikeeman wrote:
What sort of goals do people have on this forum. what do they aim to achieve with practice and training. What sort of goals should i be aiming for in the immediate future next year etc
The only goal i am always having (and I'd suggest you make these your goals too) are:
-dont't get killed
-dont't get injured
-have fun

Everything else is optional and depends on my current situation. At the moment my other goals are to get back into/ get better at ice climbing, because i had a really really hard time to get up some short WI3/4 last weekend and to find a job at a place that is closer to the alps or another climbing area.

qwert


rsmillbern


Mar 1, 2013, 6:41 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 318

Re: [qwert] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
Mikeeman wrote:
What sort of goals do people have on this forum. what do they aim to achieve with practice and training. What sort of goals should i be aiming for in the immediate future next year etc
The only goal i am always having (and I'd suggest you make these your goals too) are:
-dont't get killed
-dont't get injured
-have fun

Everything else is optional and depends on my current situation. At the moment my other goals are to get back into/ get better at ice climbing, because i had a really really hard time to get up some short WI3/4 last weekend and to find a job at a place that is closer to the alps or another climbing area.

qwert

I am right there with the 'finding a job closer to the alps' part! It is about 6 hours to Garmisch for me. Were you climbing in Germany? I am looking for some ice climbing that is not too far from Munich...


rsmillbern


Mar 1, 2013, 6:44 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 318

Re: [Mikeeman] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Expect it to get easier, and then harder, and then easier...

Keep it fun though. Aside from safety that should be the focus (I think).


lena_chita
Moderator

Mar 1, 2013, 7:18 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1803 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5717

Re: [Mikeeman] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mikeeman wrote:
What sort of goals do people have on this forum. what do they aim to achieve with practice and training. What sort of goals should i be aiming for in the immediate future next year etc

People climb for a variety of reasons, and have different personalities, so I doubt you will find two people whose climbing goals are the same. Even assuming that everyone has GOALS in climbing is assuming too much, IMO.

I would say, for you, you haven't even started. First, find out if you like it enough to stick with it long-term. Plenty of people try climbing for a few months and them drift on to something else.

If you are "embarking" on your indoor climbing with weight loss and fitness as your primary goal, you might be disappointed. Climbing in itself is not a great weight-loss exercise. A lot of people get MOTIVATED to lose weight when they discover that they love climbing, and feel that losing some weight will help them climb better, but they usually lose weight by changes in diet, and addition of other, more sustained, aerobic exercise.

I know plenty of people who climb regularly, and enjoy climbing, despite being bigger guys/gals. But in most cases, they have been climbing for years and they are still at the same weight that they were when they started.

The weight-loss caveat aside, go to the gym with a positive attitude, don't compare yourself to others, keep track of your improvement. make a point of learning good technique and practicing movement skills. And have fun.


Mikeeman


Mar 1, 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2013
Posts: 7

Re: [lena_chita] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks Guys for your response.

I dont get any ice in Sydney's western Suburbs of Australia!!! The only ice i have is in my scotch !!!

Have fun seems to be the most important message i am getting! I will start with the indoor climbing, and over time progress to the harder walls.

For the moment i plan to do it one day a week. I am back doing swimming training 2-3 nights a week.

What sparked me to start rock climbing is because i have changed my Diet, i have cut out all caffeine for a month now, and this last week i have cut out all soft drinks, so now all i am drinking is water, Decaf Green Tea and the occasional decaf coffee.

I feel heaps better cutting this crap out of my diet. and the money i am saving in buying soft drinks i was going to get a personal Trainer, but then i though, why dont i go and start climbing one night a week

If i start to excel with weight loss, diet and fun factor, i am sure i will start going more times and perhaps find a climbing group in the area and start going to the Blue mountains near home.

Thanks for your input :) i guess a big goal would to be fit and strong enough to come over and do some ice climbing one year!

I saw a documentary on Johnny, Wade and Micah on Mt Egdar, very sad, but truly inspiring people !!!

Have a great weekend !


rsmillbern


Mar 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 318

Re: [Mikeeman] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mikeeman wrote:
Thanks Guys for your response.

I dont get any ice in Sydney's western Suburbs of Australia!!! The only ice i have is in my scotch !!!

Have fun seems to be the most important message i am getting! I will start with the indoor climbing, and over time progress to the harder walls.

For the moment i plan to do it one day a week. I am back doing swimming training 2-3 nights a week.

What sparked me to start rock climbing is because i have changed my Diet, i have cut out all caffeine for a month now, and this last week i have cut out all soft drinks, so now all i am drinking is water, Decaf Green Tea and the occasional decaf coffee.

I feel heaps better cutting this crap out of my diet. and the money i am saving in buying soft drinks i was going to get a personal Trainer, but then i though, why dont i go and start climbing one night a week

If i start to excel with weight loss, diet and fun factor, i am sure i will start going more times and perhaps find a climbing group in the area and start going to the Blue mountains near home.

Thanks for your input :) i guess a big goal would to be fit and strong enough to come over and do some ice climbing one year!

I saw a documentary on Johnny, Wade and Micah on Mt Egdar, very sad, but truly inspiring people !!!

Have a great weekend !

Sounds like you have the right idea! Losing weight involves lots of factors. Keep at it!!


Mikeeman


Mar 5, 2013, 12:52 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2013
Posts: 7

Re: [rsmillbern] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so first rock climbing night done...........how am i typing??

Forearms and hands are dead, legs are sore, and i am exhausted.

I had soo much fun, and have a new found respect for rock climbers.

i managed to get to the top of one climb, but most of them i couldnt finish, next time i will get some rock shoes, the standard runner/trainer ended up wasting my energy trying to find a firmer footing

had a ball, cant wait for next time out !!!


Syd


Mar 6, 2013, 2:12 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2012
Posts: 300

Re: [Mikeeman] Hello !! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's worth having some lessons. Most beginners seem to think that "getting to the top" is what it's all about; get sick of it after a few weeks; and become one of the huge majority who fail to appreciate the sport.

If you're out west, go to Sam Berry for a lesson in her gym.


Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook