RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

climberoon

Mar 11, 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 15 (11340 views)
Shortcut

Finger strength training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there an efficient way to improve your finger strength without using a fingerboard?

shotwell

Mar 12, 2013, 2:49 AM
Post #2 of 15 (11275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climberoon] Finger strength training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

climberoon wrote:
Is there an efficient way to improve your finger strength without using a fingerboard?

Bouldering.

namoclimber

Mar 14, 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #3 of 15 (11126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make something that looks like a finger board and call it something else.Tongue
but really, just climb lots and try things above your level. Really hard moves even ifonly1 or two moves at a time on smaller or harder holds.(oh wait that's bouldering never mind).

fitzontherocks

Mar 15, 2013, 2:57 AM
Post #4 of 15 (11092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do "finger curls." No, really. A 40 lb (or whatever works for you) hand weight in each hand. Sit. Lay your arms on your thighs, palms up, and open and close your fingers with the weights in each hand. Let the weight roll down your fingers as far as you can without dropping it. I do two sets of 20.
Or you could just climb more.

redlude97

Mar 15, 2013, 3:20 AM
Post #5 of 15 (11086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Campus board Wink

naitch

Mar 15, 2013, 3:29 PM
Post #6 of 15 (11022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://sicgrips.blogspot.com/

Partner camhead

Mar 15, 2013, 4:43 PM
Post #7 of 15 (11001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Finger strength training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:
I do "finger curls." No, really. A 40 lb (or whatever works for you) hand weight in each hand. Sit. Lay your arms on your thighs, palms up, and open and close your fingers with the weights in each hand. Let the weight roll down your fingers as far as you can without dropping it. I do two sets of 20.

This is the best answer of the lot, but for effective hypertrophy, you will need WAY more than 40 lbs in each hand, which is only about enough for an average sized male to warm up. You may as well just hang off of door jams for intervals.

Effective heavy finger rolls require an Olympic style squat rack, bar, and weights ranging from your body weight to 200 lbs or so. Obviously, this is great if you have access to a gym, but not a hangboard.

The other obvious solution, if you do not have a hangboard, is to make one out of strips of sanded wood. It's pretty simple, and allows you to tailor specifically to the sizes that you need to work on.

redlude97

Mar 15, 2013, 5:19 PM
Post #8 of 15 (10987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Finger strength training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

This is the best answer of the lot, but for effective hypertrophy, you will need WAY more than 40 lbs in each hand, which is only about enough for an average sized male to warm up. You may as well just hang off of door jams for intervals.

Effective heavy finger rolls require an Olympic style squat rack, bar, and weights ranging from your body weight to 200 lbs or so. Obviously, this is great if you have access to a gym, but not a hangboard.

The other obvious solution, if you do not have a hangboard, is to make one out of strips of sanded wood. It's pretty simple, and allows you to tailor specifically to the sizes that you need to work on.
Do you have any evidence that finger rolls actually help with climbing specific hand strength? IIRC in previous threads where this came up the consensus is that it doesn't actually help. The only other anecdotal evidence I have is of a friend who weight trains alot who can finger curl 300+ points but can't even come close to "hanging" on one of my hangboard workouts, let alone climbing.

Partner camhead

Mar 15, 2013, 5:28 PM
Post #9 of 15 (10982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Finger strength training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

Do you have any evidence that finger rolls actually help with climbing specific hand strength? IIRC in previous threads where this came up the consensus is that it doesn't actually help. The only other anecdotal evidence I have is of a friend who weight trains alot who can finger curl 300+ points but can't even come close to "hanging" on one of my hangboard workouts, let alone climbing.

No evidence. Todd Skinner, Steve Bechtel, and Eric Hörst have all gone into the details of how heavy finer rolls build finger and forearm srength, but that's all I know.

Out of curiosity, how much does your 300 lb finger-curl friend weigh?

fitzontherocks

Mar 15, 2013, 6:01 PM
Post #10 of 15 (10973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Works for me. Your results may vary.

redlude97

Mar 15, 2013, 6:11 PM
Post #11 of 15 (10970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

No evidence. Todd Skinner, Steve Bechtel, and Eric Hörst have all gone into the details of how heavy finer rolls build finger and forearm srength, but that's all I know.

170ish. I weigh 175-180. I generally follow Eva Lopez's philosophy that using smaller edges in lieu of added weight is just as effective, and I guess maybe my buddy just can't hang onto those edges as well.

shotwell

Mar 15, 2013, 6:17 PM
Post #12 of 15 (10966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

170ish. I weigh 175-180. I generally follow Eva Lopez's philosophy that using smaller edges in lieu of added weight is just as effective, and I guess maybe my buddy just can't hang onto those edges as well.

We're about the same weight and I'm always curious about hangboarding results versus results from targeted bouldering/movement training. What is your height and age? What kind of improvement in max ability sport climbing or bouldering have you seen through hangboarding?

I'm not out to start an argument; just trying to decide whether I want to stick with my current training philosophy or change things up!

Partner camhead

Mar 15, 2013, 6:38 PM
Post #13 of 15 (10954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you on that, too, though I do my fair share of adding weight, too. As for your friend, it is obvious that he just illustrates the fact that you can't improve your climbing by hangboarding, if you have not already built a solid, multi-year technical base.

This kind of relates to Shotwell's question about hangboarding versus normal gym bouldering (variety of techniques, some projecting, some circuits, some 4x4s). For me, both are essential, but I'm coming to get more comfortable with taking a month off each year or so for just hangboarding (though this year, the hangboarding was forced because of a broken foot).

Oh, and some stats that Shotwell was asking about:
I'm 34, 165 lbs. Was a .12c or so climber for nearly a decade, and dealt with some injury issues: shoulder aggravation, and some sort of tendon injury once every couple years (I think I've had four pulley strains that required me to take significant time off).

I started doing specific hangboarding exercises about 2 years ago, and as of last fall, was getting to be a fairly well-rounded .13a/b climber (face, slab, enduro, bouldery, crack). My bouldering did not improve as significantly, but I don't boulder as much outside, and my gym does not grade problems, so I'm not ever sure what level I'm at. But my flashes got a bit better when I did go bouldering.

Most important, I have not had any overuse injuries despite moving up through grades more quickly than I did in the past decade.

Hope that helps.

redlude97

Mar 15, 2013, 6:42 PM
Post #14 of 15 (10953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Finger strength training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
camhead wrote:
fitzontherocks wrote:

We're about the same weight and I'm always curious about hangboarding results versus results from targeted bouldering/movement training. What is your height and age? What kind of improvement in max ability sport climbing or bouldering have you seen through hangboarding?

I'm not out to start an argument; just trying to decide whether I want to stick with my current training philosophy or change things up!
I honestly don't know for sure yet. I decided this winter to try a periodization training schedule, started with the hangboard/campus training and then went into endurance with lots of lapping and 4x4s etc. but the weather hasn't been nice enough in the NW to get outside yet. I also wasn't really training before hand other than just climbing in the gym 3-4x a week. So I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook