No, I don't keep my shoes on between climbs. I don't need this product. 6 / 55%
11 total votes

elliotnasser

Mar 10, 2013, 8:01 PM
Post #1 of 18 (13174 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by elliotnasser
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

notapplicable

Mar 10, 2013, 8:52 PM
Post #2 of 18 (13134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elliotnasser] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the whole, I'm just not sure they make sense.

At the sport crag, taking that thing on and off will be no faster than a velcro shoe and only marginally faster than a lace up, so why strap something over an uncomfortable climbing shoe when you could just switch to something better in nearly the same amount of time?

Concerning multi-pitch walk offs. Unless they are less bulky than a pair of sandals, Toms or five fingers, it makes no sense to buy a specialized piece of foot wear that cannot be used for any other purpose when you could buy something that can also be worn in your everyday life.

When I topout, I want to take my shoes off and be comfortable. Now, I may be a bit bias because every walk off I've done in the last 6-7 years has been barefoot but if I were to carry something up 3-10 pitches, it would be something I would actually WANT to wear on the hike out and my climbing shoes are not one of those things.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Mar 10, 2013, 8:55 PM)

marc801

Mar 10, 2013, 9:56 PM
Post #3 of 18 (13098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Remember to quote the original in case the OP is a lame ass who deletes their posts. Looks like he was so supportive of his product that he couldn't stand a single bit of criticism.

From what I could tell from the one response, who the hell would want to wear their climbing shoes for the walk-off/hike descent??? The thought makes my feet wince in pain.

JimTitt

Mar 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #4 of 18 (13086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its still available for viewing on MP.

notapplicable

Mar 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
Post #5 of 18 (13079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
In reply to:
Remember to quote the original in case the OP is a lame ass who deletes their posts. Looks like he was so supportive of his product that he couldn't stand a single bit of criticism.

From what I could tell from the one response, who the hell would want to wear their climbing shoes for the walk-off/hike descent??? The thought makes my feet wince in pain.

I suspect he was asked to remove it because it was an advertisement, of sorts. The same criticisms were made at MP and it's still up there.

http://www.mountainproject.com/...rock-shoes/108033249

BillyCrook

Mar 12, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #6 of 18 (12909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found climbing shoes that i could cinch down, and still be comfortable walking in. If I was afraid of damage to the shoes walking around, I'd use those shoe covers surgeons wear, or perhaps a oversized pair of fluffy slippers, as suggested on MP. That's a funny idea.

The biggest reason this WalkOffs product won't work, is because it needs to be elastic, not a damn buckle. If it takes any time at all to put on/take off, forget it.

rsd212

Mar 12, 2013, 5:57 PM
Post #7 of 18 (12882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BillyCrook] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best part about multipitch is peeling off the stinky, sweaty shoes from my stinky, aching feet when you top out. Totally worth the extra weight to carry a full pair of shoes.

notapplicable

Mar 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
Post #8 of 18 (12817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsd212] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rsd212 wrote:
Best part about multipitch is peeling off the stinky, sweaty shoes from my stinky, aching feet when you top out. Totally worth the extra weight to carry a full pair of shoes.

This is actually incorrect but you keep believing it if youd like.

rsd212

Mar 13, 2013, 2:17 AM
Post #9 of 18 (12780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:

Sorry, guess my opinion is wrong...guy on teh interwebs corrected me. Apologize to any who were harmed by the misinformation.

notapplicable

Mar 13, 2013, 3:49 AM
Post #10 of 18 (12764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsd212] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rsd212 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Sorry, guess my opinion is wrong...guy on teh interwebs corrected me. Apologize to any who were harmed by the misinformation.

The first step is admitting you are wrong. Good job.

Seriously though. Your harness isn't a backpack. There are better options. Starting with barefoot and descending from there according to weight/bulk.

marc801

Mar 13, 2013, 2:56 PM
Post #11 of 18 (12705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
rsd212 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Seriously though. Your harness isn't a backpack. There are better options. Starting with barefoot and descending from there according to weight/bulk.
Have you ever done any long descents, most any Yosemite descent, or things in the Sierra or Rocky Mtn NP? I'm with rsd212 - some kind of shoe you can walk in is essential on those kind of climbs.

notapplicable

Mar 13, 2013, 5:53 PM
Post #12 of 18 (12670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
rsd212 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Have you ever done any long descents, most any Yosemite descent, or things in the Sierra or Rocky Mtn NP? I'm with rsd212 - some kind of shoe you can walk in is essential on those kind of climbs.

1. I never said foot covering wasn't a good idea, I said a full sized pair of shoes should be a last resort. Unless you're hauling packs/gear. Then it's whatever.

2. I've approached and descended from just about everywhere on the EC barefoot, including Cannon. I hiked a 14er with scree and snow fields in CO last year barefoot. I've hike for days at a time barefoot. I walk around the city barefoot all the time. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend any but the first of those to someone who isn't just more comfortable that way, but when it comes to bulking up you're harness with superfluous crap on a multi-pitch climb, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say thats not a good idea. I've had shoes on my harness, including my partners when they were climbing a pitch the shoes would get in the way for, it sucks.

I repeat, there are better options.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Mar 13, 2013, 5:54 PM)

marc801

Mar 13, 2013, 6:21 PM
Post #13 of 18 (12660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
2. I've approached and descended from just about everywhere on the EC barefoot, including Cannon. I hiked a 14er with scree and snow fields in CO last year barefoot. I've hike for days at a time barefoot. I walk around the city barefoot all the time. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend any but the first of those to someone who isn't just more comfortable that way, but when it comes to bulking up you're harness with superfluous crap on a multi-pitch climb, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say thats not a good idea. I've had shoes on my harness, including my partners when they were climbing a pitch the shoes would get in the way for, it sucks.

But for most people, barefoot really isn't a good option. Most feet aren't as tough as yours - you need to realize that you're an outlier before giving that kind of advice. The risk of a serious laceration or broken toe(s) that can put someone out of action for weeks outweighs the slight added nuisance of a pair of light running or approach shoes.

Sure, I can see that hanging a pair of running shoes off your harness could be a real PITA if you're one of the clueless who puts their entire trad rack on the harness, but who's dumb enough to do that?

JimTitt

Mar 13, 2013, 6:59 PM
Post #14 of 18 (12646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bare feet is for neanderthals though IŽll agree there are better options than to carry boots. Helicopters for example.

USnavy

Mar 13, 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #15 of 18 (12590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
rsd212 wrote:

I second that. I prefer raps over walkoffs for this exact reason (unless the climb is low angle). If the walkoff does not lead back to the base of the climb, I have to carry everything with me: my main pack, shoes, ect. I prefer to leave that crap on the ground as it does not help me on a climb. Thus, by rapping the route I can avoiding bringing any gear that is not required to climb the route.

notapplicable

Mar 14, 2013, 6:05 AM
Post #16 of 18 (12527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

But for most people, barefoot really isn't a good option. Most feet aren't as tough as yours - you need to realize that you're an outlier before giving that kind of advice. The risk of a serious laceration or broken toe(s) that can put someone out of action for weeks outweighs the slight added nuisance of a pair of light running or approach shoes.

See bold. I'm not saying everyone needs to go barefoot but they could if they wanted to. I didn't until I started climbing and realized how much of a pain in the dick it was to keep track of and carry a nonclimbing related pair of shoes all day.

notapplicable wrote:
There are better options. Starting with barefoot and descending from there according to weight/bulk.

In reply to:
Sure, I can see that hanging a pair of running shoes off your harness could be a real PITA if you're one of the clueless who puts their entire trad rack on the harness, but who's dumb enough to do that?

If you're racking on a sling so you can fit more crap on your harness, you've solved the wrong problem.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Mar 14, 2013, 6:11 AM)

notapplicable

Mar 14, 2013, 6:06 AM
Post #17 of 18 (12525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Would you buy this product? Walk Offs - climbing shoe skins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
rsd212 wrote:

I second that. I prefer raps over walkoffs for this exact reason (unless the climb is low angle). If the walkoff does not lead back to the base of the climb, I have to carry everything with me: my main pack, shoes, ect. I prefer to leave that crap on the ground as it does not help me on a climb. Thus, by rapping the route I can avoiding bringing any gear that is not required to climb the route.

True story

billcoe_

Mar 16, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #18 of 18 (12403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
who the hell would want to wear their climbing shoes for the walk-off/hike descent???
Right here. Me.

When people delete there posts we all need to guess what they actually said. Not sure how to vote on this one.
Elliotnasser wrote:
blah blah blah velcro to keep the Sheep attached when yer having sex with them after climbing.....blah blah

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook