RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

MangoMatto

Mar 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4873 views)
Shortcut

internal structure of gym walls
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to build a four sided tower similar to what would be found in a gym. I am planning on building a metal structure and build off of that. I am not sure what the internal stucture of the climbing walls look like and was hoping maybe you could help me. By the way I run a fabrication shop and I want my wall to be as close to commercial standards as possible. Thanks

acorneau

Mar 15, 2013, 1:28 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MangoMatto] internal structure of gym walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MangoMatto wrote:
I want to build a four sided tower similar to what would be found in a gym. I am planning on building a metal structure and build off of that. I am not sure what the internal stucture of the climbing walls look like and was hoping maybe you could help me. By the way I run a fabrication shop and I want my wall to be as close to commercial standards as possible. Thanks

Outside/inside?
Free-standing/attached to an existing roof?
Wood/concrete/fiberglass surface?

Lots of variables there.

I suggest consulting with a reputable wall-builder and/or a certified structural engineer first.

MangoMatto

Mar 15, 2013, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] internal structure of gym walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It will be outside free standing approx. 30' tall. I have access to engineers, but I guess my biggest question is pertaining to how the holds are attached. Texas rock gym has a cement like surface with nuts built in. I am trying to figure out if there is a rebar skeleton with gunite sprayed over it, if so how are the nuts secured? I'm not even certain that it's gunite. Just trying to get some of those types of details figured out before I get one of my engineer buddies to help me.

shotwell

Mar 15, 2013, 3:40 AM
Post #4 of 10 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

MangoMatto wrote:
It will be outside free standing approx. 30' tall. I have access to engineers, but I guess my biggest question is pertaining to how the holds are attached. Texas rock gym has a cement like surface with nuts built in. I am trying to figure out if there is a rebar skeleton with gunite sprayed over it, if so how are the nuts secured? I'm not even certain that it's gunite. Just trying to get some of those types of details figured out before I get one of my engineer buddies to help me.

I would ask to peek behind the walls at the gym you mentioned. You're not quite on the right track at the moment. The structure is typically angle iron and plywood. The nuts are called t-nuts and pounded or screwed into the plywood. Surfaces can be lath and concrete, epoxy based textures, or simple textured paint Building it right definitely requires an engineer's assistance, especially for the anchoring points.

To be totally real with you, this is a damn big project. If you're doing this with the intention of having anything than some giant monstrosity for your personal use, I would strongly suggest you work with an established gym builder.

MangoMatto

Mar 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #5 of 10 (4762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] internal structure of gym walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So its angle iron with plywood and t-nuts that gets stucco over it? I'm going this weekend I'll see if they will let me take a peek. The engineering side for me is the easy part I run a shop that builds structures that can hold upto 20k lbs. I have seen the plywood and t-nuts I guess I was just over thinking this project. Thanks for your help with this.

acorneau

Mar 15, 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our gym was built with square tubular steel for the super-structure; angle iron-framed plywood panels welded to each other and to the super-structure with more angle iron; wire lath layered over the plywood then sprayed with gunite.

Many outdoor climbing towers are made with telephone poles and 2x12's, but you would need to look to the "challenge course" industry for those types of building spec's.

MangoMatto

Mar 15, 2013, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely not into the challenge course. Allen is there any chace you would be willing to give me a" behind the scenes look. Ill be out there on Sunday?

acorneau

Mar 15, 2013, 6:15 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM sent.

doktor_g

Mar 16, 2013, 4:36 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos/Indoor/My_home_gym_plan_103324.html

My internal structure of a space saving garage woodie. Best suggestion is DONT go too overhung. Bad for feet training IMHO.
DrG

Partner camhead

Mar 16, 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doktor_g] internal structure of gym walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

doktor_g wrote:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos/Indoor/My_home_gym_plan_103324.html

My internal structure of a space saving garage woodie. Best suggestion is DONT go too overhung. Bad for feet training IMHO.
DrG

That plan really has nothing to do with what the OP wants to do, and for a tower, it would pretty much be impossible for him to get too overhung.

Also, I would respectfully disagree with you about "don't get too overhung" for a garage woodie, but that's a conversation for another thread.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook