Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
coming back to VT
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jtm89till

Mar 21, 2013, 1:42 AM
Post #1 of 3 (671 views)
Shortcut

coming back to VT  (North_America: United_States: Vermont: Northern_VT: Smugglers_Notch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in the Bolton Area, and I'm looking for some climbs that would be bolted and around the 5.9 difficulty area... I have heard people top rop off trees but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that cause it will most likely ruin the rope I'm using... does anyone have suggestions for me of where I can find this type of climbing in VT? thanks.

dagibbs

Mar 22, 2013, 4:56 PM
Post #2 of 3 (611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jtm89till] coming back to VT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jtm89till wrote:
I live in the Bolton Area, and I'm looking for some climbs that would be bolted and around the 5.9 difficulty area... I have heard people top rop off trees but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that cause it will most likely ruin the rope I'm using... does anyone have suggestions for me of where I can find this type of climbing in VT? thanks.

There's recently been produced a guide to climbing in (northern) Vermont called "Tough Schist". You might want to look into ordering or getting a copy.

As far as top-roping off trees, you don't run your climbing rope around the tree -- you use a tree (or trees, depending on size/solidity) to build an anchor, and run your rope through the carabiners in the anchor. You would generally run webbing around the trees.

carabiner96

Mar 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #3 of 3 (578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jtm89till] coming back to VT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jtm89till wrote:
Petra Cliffs in Burlington offers anchor building classes, it sounds like you may benefit from them so you can be more confident when you're out on your own. I don't think the group lessons are crazy pricey, and Steve and Andrea (the new owners) are awesome.

Lower West Bolton, off of the Bolton Notch road, is a great place to start, in the last few years chain or bolt anchors have been installed to protect the trees that were getting beat up. They're not sport anchors, you still need to be comfortable building your own anchor using the bolts. Very easy to walk up to the top of the climbs to toss down your rope and either rappel or walk down.
Points awarded when you find me in the guide book!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$26.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook