RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

tnchick

Mar 25, 2013, 2:38 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3754 views)
Shortcut

starting bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been reading up on rock climbing, and want to try it out. there is only one rock climbing gym around me and that kind one sucks, or so the reviews have said. so I was just going to get some climbing shoes and try bouldering outside instead of at a gym, I figure, its low enough to the ground I wont get seriously hurt, I watched a youtube video and the guys there had pads so if they fell off they would have some padding. do any of you use that? I mean is this a smart decision to just jump right into bouldering or should I figure something else out?

darrell702

Mar 25, 2013, 3:11 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tnchick] starting bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would start climbing at the gym regardless if it sucks or not. Its cool though that you want to jump rite on it and go outside, but you need to build some strength and technique before you go out there alone and get hurt. Plus you might meet some people to go out with to spot you from falling on your head.

curt

Mar 26, 2013, 2:36 AM
Post #3 of 7 (3663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You certainly don't need to learn at the gym, unless that sort of thing appeals to you. If you do head outside on your own to go bouldering however, I'd suggest that you find someone who knows what he/she's doing to accompany you.

In addition to shoes, a bouldering pad and a chalk bag, it's also nice to have someone who can give you a little direction and spot for you.

Curt

shockabuku

Mar 26, 2013, 3:25 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the gym anyway - you can go only once. Certainly you don't need to but it shouldn't hurt. You might even meet some people to climb with and something to make the process easier.

What gym is it? Some gyms suck in comparison to others because of size and other factors that don't really matter when you're not used to better facilities.

Not to mention that bouldering doesn't capture all of the parts of climbing that some people find most interesting - namely being far off the ground and the process to keep yourself relatively safe. Bouldering is great stuff but it's not the same as climbing on a rope.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Mar 26, 2013, 3:28 AM)

tnchick

Mar 26, 2013, 11:47 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] starting bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok I will try the gym once, but I want to get into real rope climbing, I just figured I can do bouldering first since I have no one to go with me on my rock climbing trips.

brooklynclimber

Mar 26, 2013, 1:08 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can learn either at the gym or at the crag, but it's true you might meet some people at the gym who would be helpful. You can also pick up a copy of Better Bouldering:

http://www.falcon.com/books/better-bouldering-2nd

There are used copies on abe.com for a few dollars. It's a pretty good overview. The pads you saw people using are called crash pads. You can sometimes find them used on craigslist. Ive found that the prices on ebay are not much lower than buying one used. Having someone spot you so you don't fall on your head is not a bad idea, either.

Ruff_Dog

Apr 6, 2013, 6:58 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also "+1" going to the gym first. They probably have crash pads and a place to boulder there and you can get used to falling if need be. And yes, most people use crash pads...even if they're expensive. I'd say it's worth the investment.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook