RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

TheMallit

Mar 23, 2013, 4:58 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6549 views)
Shortcut

Best Starting Hangboard?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing several years now and I really feel like my contact strength is what's keeping me from breaking this roof I've hit. I'm thinking of buying a blank slate for the flexibility it offers and because I can't mount a hangboard in my house, but I'm wondering what a good hangboard to start off with would be.
*disclaimer: I'm aware of the injury risk that hangboarding carries and that there's no replacement for climbing to improve in climbing, so there's no need to tell me*

(This post was edited by TheMallit on Mar 24, 2013, 4:36 PM)

Partner camhead

Mar 23, 2013, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheMallit] Best Strating Hangboard? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no perfect hangboard out there, but you will want to consider which holds you feel most likely to injure yourself on, or which are your weaknesses, or which are on the routes you want to send.

The prevalent starter hangboard would be DRCC's 5.12 board, I believe it is called. It is not perfect: its pinch is useless, and there are no pockets, but for a few starting cycles, and then adding weight, it is really good. Easy on the skin, too.

Definitely do some searching around to see how to do this without injury. Hangboarding is actually less likely to injure you than climbing is, but it is still a very intense workout.

TheMallit

Mar 25, 2013, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 10 (6405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Best Strating Hangboard? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any thoughts on the Beastmaker 1000 series?

Partner camhead

Mar 25, 2013, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 10 (6397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheMallit] Best Strating Hangboard? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheMallit wrote:

I've used the 2000, and it is the best advanced hangboard I've ever touched. Even though I can only hold onto like a third of the holds.

The 1000 is made for less experienced trainers, but if it has the same craftsmanship and texture as the 2000 (which I'm sure it does), I would recommend it based on that alone.

naitch

Mar 25, 2013, 8:27 PM
Post #5 of 10 (6353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheMallit] Best Starting Hangboard? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://SICgrips.com

Not specifically a hangboard but they can be non-destructively mounted and accomplish most of the functions of of a hangboard plus more. Very versatile and each grip position can be adjust from easy to heinous.

granite_grrl

Mar 26, 2013, 2:01 AM
Post #6 of 10 (6318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
TheMallit wrote:

I've used the 2000, and it is the best advanced hangboard I've ever touched. Even though I can only hold onto like a third of the holds.

The 1000 is made for less experienced trainers, but if it has the same craftsmanship and texture as the 2000 (which I'm sure it does), I would recommend it based on that alone.

We have the 1000 but it's not mounted yet. It also seems challenging though. Hopefully it'll be going up this weekend so I can give better comments on it soon.

wmfork

Mar 26, 2013, 4:44 PM
Post #7 of 10 (6270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
It definitely is. My gym has both (& I just found out the US distributor is in Boulder, no shipping 4 me!). I think what you are really missing on the 1000 are the mono & sloping pockets. The 45 degree sloper on the 2000 feels impossible (maybe one day I can do one hand on the 45 & one hand on the 35), so you aren't missing too much there.
What I do like about both beastmaker is the holds in the middle are shaped for one arm hang (one of the biggest weakness of the DRCC V5.12, IMO).

Partner camhead

Mar 26, 2013, 5:23 PM
Post #8 of 10 (6260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Best Strating Hangboard? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
What I do like about both beastmaker is the holds in the middle are shaped for one arm hang (one of the biggest weakness of the DRCC V5.12, IMO).

Are you just saying that after the recent Webb-Parsons video, or were you doing one-arms before they were cool?Smile

wmfork

Mar 26, 2013, 8:35 PM
Post #9 of 10 (6241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Are you just saying that after the recent Webb-Parsons video, or were you doing one-arms before they were cool?Smile
You got me thereTongue. I actually tried one arm hang after realizing my hand strength is lacking, but the holds in the middle of the V5.12 are all slopers. I wished it was the other way (slopers outside & incuts middle). The pockets didn't bother me nearly as much as you can always try fewer fingers on a large edge.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook