Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbing Certifications Worldwide?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Climbing Certifications Worldwide?
Poll??? 0 / 0%
Poll??? 0 / 0%
Poll??? XD 0 / 0%
0 total votes

tdamour

Mar 26, 2013, 6:04 PM
Post #1 of 3 (942 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Certifications Worldwide?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey

I was wondering how did the climbing certifications work exactly? If I have a rock guide certification from Canada, should I be able to go work pretty much anywhere I want in the world? Seems silly, but I'm curious. Cheers

Kartessa

Mar 26, 2013, 9:07 PM
Post #2 of 3 (910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tdamour] Climbing Certifications Worldwide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tdamour wrote:
Hey

I was wondering how did the climbing certifications work exactly? If I have a rock guide certification from Canada, should I be able to go work pretty much anywhere I want in the world? Seems silly, but I'm curious. Cheers

It depends on who it's through. If you have and ACMG cert, its up to IFMGA code and should be widely accepted. If it's through something like PCGI or something smaller, then it depends on where you go.

colatownkid

Mar 27, 2013, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 3 (884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tdamour] Climbing Certifications Worldwide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tdamour wrote:
Hey

The International Federation of Mountain Guide Associations (IFMGA) is the only internationally certifying body for mountain guides of any kind. Each member country of the IFMGA has its own guides association. For example, Canada has the ACMG, the United States has the AMGA. Any individual guide who has completed all of the certifications for their respective country's association is granted status as a fully-certified IFMGA guide. This usually takes years to do. Once completed, though, IFMGA certified guides (and ONLY IFMGA guides) are eligible to guide in any other IFMGA member country, anywhere else in the world.

In Euorpe, most countries are IFMGA members, so you must be an IFMGA guide to work in Europe (generally speaking). However, in places like South America where there is not a whole lot of IFMGA membership, you don't necessarily need to have any type of credentials to guide.

So, if you are fully certified as an IFMGA guide by the ACMG, yes you should be able to work pretty much anywhere in the world. Anything less than that (ie. just ACMG rock guide), you may be able to work in other member countries, maybe not. You can probably work in non-member countries regardless.

Hope that helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook