Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Dariusz

Mar 27, 2013, 4:52 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3890 views)
Shortcut

Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have the "Edelrid Cobra 10.3Mm Dynamic Climbing Rope"
I got in to climbing about a year ago and climbed outdoors last summer mostly top rope haven't gone out too much. a few times. can i use that same rope this year to try some trad climbing? It is dynamic after all and practically brand new condition.

notapplicable

Mar 27, 2013, 5:00 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dariusz] Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dariusz wrote:
I got in to climbing about a year ago and climbed outdoors last summer mostly top rope haven't gone out too much. a few times. can i use that same rope this year to try some trad climbing? It is dynamic after all and practically brand new condition.

Yep. Assuming the rope is in good condition over all, you're good to go.

shockabuku

Mar 28, 2013, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 11 (3751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dariusz] Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dariusz wrote:

I don't know - can you trad climb? Is this like the 'I got surgery and can I play the guitar now joke'?

Dariusz

Mar 28, 2013, 3:52 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is only one way to learn trad climbing by actually doing it right? I have read a couple of books about setting anchors. "Rock Climbing Anchors by Craig Luebben" and the "50th anniversary Mountaineering freedom of the hills" I have a whole set of DMM Dragon Cam, a set of black diamond stoppers, a set of Wild Country Anodized Rockcentric Hexnuts and quick draws. i was just going to use the same rope i have used for top roping which is practically brand new.

ps thanks to notapplicable for the quick feedback

notapplicable

Mar 28, 2013, 5:22 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dariusz wrote:
There is only one way to learn trad climbing by actually doing it right? I have read a couple of books about setting anchors. "Rock Climbing Anchors by Craig Luebben" and the "50th anniversary Mountaineering freedom of the hills" I have a whole set of DMM Dragon Cam, a set of black diamond stoppers, a set of Wild Country Anodized Rockcentric Hexnuts and quick draws. i was just going to use the same rope i have used for top roping which is practically brand new.

ps thanks to notapplicable for the quick feedback

No worries. And I did the "learn by doing" thing myself. It gets the job done but comes with certain hazards. Just take your time, don't push grades and you're gear placing ability at the same time and double check everything.

Kartessa

Mar 28, 2013, 5:59 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All I can say is that if you're in S. Ontario, be extra careful.

That shit is choss

Dariusz

Mar 28, 2013, 6:57 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya I mostly climb rattle snake point. In Milton or wherever that is

marc801

Mar 28, 2013, 2:09 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
No worries. And I did the "learn by doing" thing myself. It gets the job done but comes with certain hazards. Just take your time, don't push grades and you're [sic] gear placing ability at the same time and double check everything.
This.
Also, practice, practice, practice, placing gear while standing on the ground. It's one of the usual ways to get the feel for what you're doing before you're depending on your placements to keep you from getting injured, maimed, or killed. Another good idea is to try really hard to hook up with someone who has experience and can critique your gear placements.

I basically also learned by doing, but I had a mentor to guide me. I consider this critical for any beginning leader, whether you met a mentor at the gym or you're paying a guide/instructor.

shimanilami

Mar 28, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yer gonna die !!!!

markc

Mar 28, 2013, 4:27 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Can i use same rope for top roping and trad climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
No worries. And I did the "learn by doing" thing myself. It gets the job done but comes with certain hazards. Just take your time, don't push grades and you're [sic] gear placing ability at the same time and double check everything.
This.
Also, practice, practice, practice, placing gear while standing on the ground. It's one of the usual ways to get the feel for what you're doing before you're depending on your placements to keep you from getting injured, maimed, or killed. Another good idea is to try really hard to hook up with someone who has experience and can critique your gear placements.

I basically also learned by doing, but I had a mentor to guide me. I consider this critical for any beginning leader, whether you met a mentor at the gym or you're paying a guide/instructor.

All good advice. I seconded an experienced climber for a while, experimented with placements and building anchors on the ground (with feedback from him and another friend), and started off on routes where the climbing difficulty was a non-issue. I focused on placing protection, extending pieces properly, and thinking of the system as a whole, gradually increasing the route and/or placement difficulty. Definitely don't push both at once while you're learning!

A potential problem with being self-taught is the lack of feedback. Some can take information from a book or from theory and readily apply it. Some may misinterpret information or develop bad habits that just haven't impacted them yet. Teaching yourself requires you to be really critical and objective when reviewing what you're doing. Take your time and stay safe. We don't always get second chances.

yodadave

Mar 29, 2013, 2:28 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rattlesnake point is where i did a lot of my first trad leads. Great place to start. Easily protectable and has some fun really easy climbs to start on. Your rope is perfect for a beginning leader but i fear you will have major rope drag issues if you use only quickdraws. My memory is that some of the routes there wander a wee bit so buy a handful of longer slings to extend with. This will in turn extend the life of your rope as you won't be sharply dragging it over edges.

Have fun and be safe!!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook