Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ecade

Apr 1, 2013, 8:20 PM
Post #1 of 30 (13148 views)
Shortcut

Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Happy Monday,

the skinny:
I have a credit with Air Canada from a trip I couldn't make. My credit is for about $650. It must be used by December.

So that leaves really 1 option, I guess I have to go on a climbing trip, damn life sucks eh

I want to climb predominately trad if the place also has 5 star sport routes I'd award it some points too. I would ideally like a mix of easy multi-pithes upto 5.8 that have breathataking scenery balanced by harder, ideally pure crack climbs going up to 5.10. I don't want limestone so no rockies. I want bomber granite or beautiful windgate sandstone. I would like rock that I can trust that I could push myself on.

Ideally I'd like to go over Labour day or Thanksgiving. but prefer labour day if its not too hot, I guess if I want sandstone i have to go Canadian thanksgiving (October).

Places I've been thinking about, but I'm sure there are many others I've not considered.
Squamish
Moab
Zion
(No red rocks, done twice and will probably go again in December)

Input appreciated. If you can include routes of mention in the areas that would be great. Ideally a place I can camp and have cheap expenses so that this trip can be snuck into the 2013 budget.

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 8:29 PM
Post #2 of 30 (13140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JOSHUA TREE!!!! W000Ooooo

jeepnphreak

Apr 1, 2013, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 30 (13127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Right now or in the late fall or eles it will 100*F at night.

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 8:41 PM
Post #4 of 30 (13122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Right now or in the late fall or eles it will 100*F at night.

Troo dat

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 8:42 PM
Post #5 of 30 (13121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Happy Monday,

the skinny:
I have a credit with Air Canada from a trip I couldn't make. My credit is for about $650. It must be used by December.

So that leaves really 1 option, I guess I have to go on a climbing trip, damn life sucks eh

I want to climb predominately trad if the place also has 5 star sport routes I'd award it some points too. I would ideally like a mix of easy multi-pithes upto 5.8 that have breathataking scenery balanced by harder, ideally pure crack climbs going up to 5.10. I don't want limestone so no rockies. I want bomber granite or beautiful windgate sandstone. I would like rock that I can trust that I could push myself on.

Ideally I'd like to go over Labour day or Thanksgiving. but prefer labour day if its not too hot, I guess if I want sandstone i have to go Canadian thanksgiving (October).

Places I've been thinking about, but I'm sure there are many others I've not considered.
Squamish
Moab
Zion

Input appreciated. If you can include routes of mention in the areas that would be great. Ideally a place I can camp and have cheap expenses so that this trip can be snuck into the 2013 budget.

What's with people needing multi-pitch climbing? There are some awesome single-pitch places out there... just because Onterrible is a shit hole, doesnt mean the others are.

ecade

Apr 1, 2013, 8:57 PM
Post #6 of 30 (13102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
What's with people needing multi-pitch climbing? There are some awesome single-pitch places out there... just because Onterrible is a shit hole, doesnt mean the others are.

Hey, lets not fully dis our home on native land.
She has some saving graces, and she's better than Nebraska (sorry nebraskans).
I like heights. And it makes climbing easy routes worthwhile. Besides its human nature to want what you don't have. We don't have multi pitch climbs and last I checked I'm human.

(This post was edited by ecade on Apr 1, 2013, 8:59 PM)

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 9:33 PM
Post #7 of 30 (13086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still standing by my recommendation of Joshua Tree.

Fan-freaking-tastic single-pitch climbing, some bolts (not many), solid rock, cheap camping, great culture, awesome rest-day activites, beautiful.

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 9:38 PM
Post #8 of 30 (13083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not make a pilgrimage to Yosemite? Just do a day or two in the valley and mosey on over to Tuolumne, lots of big, easy climbs, inexpensive...

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 9:38 PM
Post #9 of 30 (13081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wyoming?

Kartessa

Apr 1, 2013, 9:39 PM
Post #10 of 30 (13079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I managed a flight to France last spring for $600 RT from Pearson... from there, train down to the south and get your climb on in the Gorges... it's all bolts though.

ecade

Apr 2, 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #11 of 30 (12950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Wyoming?

Devil's Tower is a dream for me, I love to stem.
Problem: no climbing partner of mine enjoys stemming

Yosemite seems great too, been working on my aid climbing. But when I think Yosemite, I get that scene from Wayne's World when they meet Alice cooper backstage in my, "we're not worthy..." One day, but still not ready to tackle big walls, she is the reason I dreamed this dream to begin with, but I'm not ready. I know she has more to offer, but I'm to narrow minded to see past my own dreams.

Thanks for the suggestions Kartessa!

granite_grrl

Apr 2, 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #12 of 30 (12936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Wyoming?

You need to find new partners.

Also, the Tower is for the most part a crack area (though there are face routes too). Sometimes you need to stem, sometimes you're cramming your feet into the crack. Depends on the route.

billl7

Apr 2, 2013, 1:21 PM
Post #13 of 30 (12919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Yosemite seems great too, been working on my aid climbing. But when I think Yosemite, I get that scene from Wayne's World when they meet Alice cooper backstage in my, "we're not worthy..." One day, but still not ready to tackle big walls, she is the reason I dreamed this dream to begin with, but I'm not ready. I know she has more to offer, but I'm to narrow minded to see past my own dreams.
... then just keep Tuolumne in the back of your mind ... was there last summer for a week. Lot's of multi-pitch and never really noticed anything that made me think of aid climbing. Of course, there is the other extreme in the area of protection ... that a Tuolumne 'R' may very well be an 'X'.

Bill L

Kartessa

Apr 2, 2013, 1:47 PM
Post #14 of 30 (12906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Wyoming?

Thanks for the suggestions Kartessa!

So damn picky. You're not going to find one perfect place where everything is multi-pitch, just your grade, just your skills, and appealing to your partner.

Zion has a lot of aid/big wall/hard shit,
Moab is freaking remote for a Canadian flying in... you're gonna spend a fortune on gas/car rental.
Squamish can be ass expensive if you dont book ridiculously early (It's $650 now), and want a car ($300 for 4 days).

No point offering more suggestions though, because in the end, you're going to find a problem with anything anyone else offers :p

ecade

Apr 2, 2013, 2:08 PM
Post #15 of 30 (12900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks?

Can anyone speak highly of her, she looks damn sexy.

(This post was edited by ecade on Apr 2, 2013, 2:14 PM)

ecade

Apr 2, 2013, 2:13 PM
Post #16 of 30 (12897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
So damn picky.

No point offering more suggestions though, because in the end, you're going to find a problem with anything anyone else offers :p

Would you rather I was easy? What fun would there be in that :)

marc801

Apr 2, 2013, 2:41 PM
Post #17 of 30 (12875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
That is so myopically narrow minded that it's laughable. Quit yer whining already. I didn't do a big wall until my 5th Yosemite trip. Lot's of climbers go to Yosemite and never do big walls. That's not the only climbing there.

Kartessa

Apr 2, 2013, 2:49 PM
Post #18 of 30 (12864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
ecade wrote:
That is so myopically narrow minded that it's laughable. Quit yer whining already. I didn't do a big wall until my 5th Yosemite trip. Lot's of climbers go to Yosemite and never do big walls. That's not the only climbing there.

Somebody climbs for glory Tongue

dagibbs

Apr 3, 2013, 3:40 AM
Post #19 of 30 (12784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Happy Monday,

the skinny:

Squamish
Moab
Zion

Got a climbing partner for this trip, yet? :)

Flatirons in Colorado?

New Hampshire probably isn't far enough, unfortunately -- but Whitehorse and Cathedral Ledge provide some awesome multi-pitch trad (up to about 1100 ft) on solid granite, and you're not far from 5-star sport in Rumney. But, probably you could drive there more easily than fly, so doesn't use up that credit.

ecade

Apr 3, 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #20 of 30 (12740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

Sometimes a kick in the behind is needed to dislodge a head from the ass, so thanks.

Having looked more closely at Yosemite, I think a pilgrimage could be in order.

Found a ton of great easy multipitches. I found a few single pitches but could you advise any areas that lend themselves to cragging single pitch trad 5.9-10 good cracks with great pro?

(This post was edited by ecade on Apr 3, 2013, 1:01 PM)

ecade

Apr 3, 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #21 of 30 (12735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Where to go, I really don't know, I really don't know where to go... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"dagibbs wrote:

Got a climbing partner for this trip, yet? :)

Flatirons in Colorado?

New Hampshire probably isn't far enough, unfortunately -- but Whitehorse and Cathedral Ledge provide some awesome multi-pitch trad (up to about 1100 ft) on solid granite, and you're not far from 5-star sport in Rumney. But, probably you could drive there more easily than fly, so doesn't use up that credit.

No partner and seems like my partners might not be interested. are you up for a trip to Yosemite? I was thinking Thursday August 29 - Monday September 2nd (Labour day weekend)
Air Canada has cheap flights to San Diego, drive time is roughly the same as LA but cheaper to fly to San Diego (at present its about 610 return on AC, direct flights both ways) and you avoid LA, its people and traffic (sorry LA'rs sure there are some great folks there but ya, you know).

We could meet up at Val David and Montagne D'argent and other places prior to climb.

I've been to Rumney and love it, its my favourite style of sport climbing, but you're right it wouldn't use the credit, Flat Irons look beautiful but "every thought that stung a knot in my mind, I might go insane if it couldn't be sprung..." and now, with my Myopic eyes, I can't see past the Valley and Meadow

(This post was edited by ecade on Apr 3, 2013, 12:59 PM)

Kartessa

Apr 3, 2013, 1:15 PM
Post #22 of 30 (12727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

San Diego!?! Are you mad?

What about San Francisco? It's about 3.5 hours closer (At Least! Since you won't have to drive through LA) and I'm finding flights for your dates at $663 with Air Canada... You'll save at least $50 on gas and sanity.

ecade

Apr 3, 2013, 1:26 PM
Post #23 of 30 (12717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

What about San Francisco? It's about 3.5 hours closer (At Least! Since you won't have to drive through LA) and I'm finding flights for your dates at $663 with Air Canada... You'll save at least $50 on gas and sanity.

Yup, that's a brain fart, I often mix'em up, and I'm spent some time in San Fran...Coffee, need that.

Kartessa, what would i do without you, well besides ending up in the wrong place and losing more marbles than i can afford.

Kartessa

Apr 3, 2013, 1:27 PM
Post #24 of 30 (12716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Yup, that's a brain fart, I often mix'em up, and I'm spent some time in San Fran...Coffee, need that.

Kartessa, what would i do without you, well besides ending up in the wrong place and losing more marbles than i can afford.

I'm an asshole because I care

Kartessa

Apr 3, 2013, 1:35 PM
Post #25 of 30 (12703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also: Do you really want to spend just the labor day weekend? It's going to be a zoo, there will be lineups and passing if you stick to the valley.

Don't forget to give yourself time for Tuolumne? I found it to be infinitely nicer than the valley, much quieter, way more routes, some exploring (longer approaches though)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook