Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Area has developed greatly...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kf8mo

Apr 2, 2013, 8:37 PM
Post #1 of 1 (367 views)
Shortcut

Area has developed greatly...  (South_and_Central_America: Costa_Rica: Cartago: Piedra_de_Cachi)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

... since the material above was posted. It's now Escalada Cachi, a sort of hybrid between a climbing gym and wild rock. There are many routes (over 30), ranging from 5.6 to 5.13, with some having topropes set and others being sport climbs. 5.9 and under are toproped, 5.11 and up are sport, and the 5.10s can be done either way. New routes are being developed continuously. They have tarps down at the bases of the toprope climbs, rent gear, and local guides (based at the outdoor artificial wall at CATIE in Turrialba) give lessons. Route starts are marked, but you're on your own to find the holds to the anchors. The basalt is clean and very good to climb. Its appearance is deceptive though. In photos it looks like holds everywhere, but you quickly find there aren't.

There is a detailed description posted at http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/costa-rica/area/223884492. Based on my having climbed there for two days at the end of March 2013, the description is very accurate.

Careful about the "driveway" down from the road though. If you don't have a 4x4 with creeper gears and high ground clearance, it's not passable even in dry season.

I wouldn't go to CR to climb, but if you're going to CR it's definitely worth climbing at Cachi. It's perfect for a family trip; beginners can do suitable routes on toprope while the hardcore can knock themselves out on 5.12 sport climbs.

(This post was edited by kf8mo on Apr 2, 2013, 8:56 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook