Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing RR Partner and Information: Please Help!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

thompsonbd1367

Apr 5, 2013, 1:07 PM
Post #1 of 3 (594 views)
Shortcut

Climbing RR Partner and Information: Please Help!  (North_America: United_States: Nevada)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am flying in to vegas on Monday (April 8) to spend a few days for my sisters wedding.

I am hoping to get some climbing in on Monday and/or Tuesday. The problem is my wife is in the wedding party so she might not be able to come with me, which means I may need a climbing partner.

A question I have is if there is anywhere where I can set up the top rope without needing a stick clip or to lead climb, because currently I can't lead very well-I've only tried once and it was a 5.8. I am currently working 9s and 10s, so I don't plan on climbing really intensely.

So if anyone can answer the above question and/or will be available to climb on 4/8/13 or 4/9/13, please respond and let me know!

Thanks!

Brendan Thompson

brinosaur

Apr 5, 2013, 1:25 PM
Post #2 of 3 (578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thompsonbd1367] Climbing RR Partner and Information: Please Help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you bringing trad gear to set anchors with, or are you looking for bolted anchors? There are plenty of climbs that have easy top access, but I'm not sure how many of these (if any at all) have chains or bolts for anchors that can be reached safely. You will not find many trees or features that can or should be slung as anchors.

You stated you aren't comfortable leading, but are you comfortable (and more importantly, experienced) giving a lead belay? You could certainly find someone to be your ropegun by creeping about or posting a note at the BLM campground. Mountain project is also a good way to find partners.

If all else fails, hire a guide. If you have the cash to spare, it will save you time and uncertainty about finding safe partners, fun climbs, etc.

Good luck!

thompsonbd1367

Apr 5, 2013, 1:31 PM
Post #3 of 3 (569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] Climbing RR Partner and Information: Please Help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply! I was looking for bolted anchors, preferably no more than 30 meters.

I am great at lead belaying-my friend who has been teaching me how to climb normally leads a route and I lead belay, and then it is set up for me to top rope. I just started leading, and have only led one route, so I don't want to climb out of my comfort zone on this trip.

thanks for the tip on mountain project- you're the second person to point me that direction!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook