RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Winemaker

Apr 6, 2013, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 16 (8872 views)
Shortcut

Newbie hello
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone, Newbie older climber wannabe here with my first post. I've been lurking for a while and want to thank all of you who post some great information and useful suggestions.

I started climbing top rope at the Columns outside Tieton, Wa last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately last August I slipped on rock descending from Camp Muir and severed my left quad tendon. Surgery and rehab have gotten me back to abut 70% on the leg. I've been climbing indoors with my daughter for the last two months and this has really helped mobility (and provided a lot of fun).

Last weekend I lead my first bolted route at Frenchman Coulee. I was amazed how leading versus top roping changed my perspective and increased the difficulty. The relief when I clipped the second bolt was pretty great, as the reality of a potential ground fall didn't sink in until it was possible. Certainly I knew intellectually the potential consequences, but real life is different than imagination. Rigging the top rope anchor was also a concentrating experience, as I was fully aware of the consequences of error. I certainly checked everything multiple times but loading the rope, even while still clipped in, was sobering.

I had a blast and look forward to improving both physically and intellectually and thanks again for all the great posts.

dagibbs

Apr 6, 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #2 of 16 (8809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Winemaker] Newbie hello [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the world of climbing! Leading certainly is a different head-game, isn't it?

marc801

Apr 7, 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #3 of 16 (8793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Winemaker wrote:
Hi everyone, Newbie older climber wannabe here with my first post. I've been lurking for a while and want to thank all of you who post some great information and useful suggestions.

I started climbing top rope at the Columns outside Tieton, Wa last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately last August I slipped on rock descending from Camp Muir and severed my left quad tendon. Surgery and rehab have gotten me back to abut 70% on the leg. I've been climbing indoors with my daughter for the last two months and this has really helped mobility (and provided a lot of fun).

Last weekend I lead my first bolted route at Frenchman Coulee. I was amazed how leading versus top roping changed my perspective and increased the difficulty. The relief when I clipped the second bolt was pretty great, as the reality of a potential ground fall didn't sink in until it was possible. Certainly I knew intellectually the potential consequences, but real life is different than imagination. Rigging the top rope anchor was also a concentrating experience, as I was fully aware of the consequences of error. I certainly checked everything multiple times but loading the rope, even while still clipped in, was sobering.

I had a blast and look forward to improving both physically and intellectually and thanks again for all the great posts.

Since this is the free-for-all that is rc.com, you're gonna get smacked upside the head at some point so....

From: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread:

epoch wrote:
NEW FOLKS…
We are a dynamic community and some of the regulars have been around since the inception of rockclimbing.com. There are lots of covered topics so if you try to jump right in and start new threads, it will make everyone sad. Try responding to someone else's thread first, rather than starting your own.

Please do not, make a "hello" post or thread.

On a slow day 10 people may join the forums, on a busy day it may be 100. It's not a special occasion when somebody joins. So when you start a "hi everybody I'm new here!" thread it's like you think you're the Queen of Sheba or something. You’re inviting the lurkers to come out and toss you up a bit. {see above remark} So unless you are familiar with forum boards and can stand a bit of flaming right off, it would be better to just respond to a thread rather than start your own. Don't take it too seriously when someone calls you a "n00b", and accept that other users ask you to make a forum search before asking some over debated topics.

So gee, welcome and all, but we just don't care that much about you at the moment.

6pacfershur

Apr 7, 2013, 12:37 AM
Post #4 of 16 (8786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Newbie hello [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

So gee, welcome and all, but we just don't care that much about you at the moment.

"we"? .... speak for yourself asshole

marc801

Apr 7, 2013, 1:59 PM
Post #5 of 16 (8726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Newbie hello [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
marc801 wrote:

See what I mean?
Oh, we don't care about you, either.

Winemaker

Apr 7, 2013, 2:47 PM
Post #6 of 16 (8718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for that! It felt good. Please sir, may I have another?

My question was implicit in my post, and that was addressing the transition from top roping to lead climbing. A more useful reply might have been some analysis or advice re leading. But I guess I won't be able to ask a question that hasn't already been answered so I should shut up.

notapplicable

Apr 7, 2013, 6:13 PM
Post #7 of 16 (8698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
marc801 wrote:

See what I mean?
Oh, we don't care about you, either.

Neither of you sub-10K wankers are even a blip on the radar.

notapplicable

Apr 7, 2013, 6:26 PM
Post #8 of 16 (8690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Volumes have been written on the subject of transitioning from TRing to leading and overcoming the mental obstacles involved. Both online and in softback.

Some favor mock leading (going thru the motions of leading while still on top rope), some think practice falls do the trick, people also say visualization prior to the climb works. Maybe one or more will work for you.

There is an entire subform on here called "Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way". Go there and do some reading. Maybe pick up one or two of the books referenced.

Leading comes harder too some than it does others but the rewards are worth it. Good luck dude.

marc801

Apr 7, 2013, 6:27 PM
Post #9 of 16 (8688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Winemaker wrote:
My question was implicit in my post, and that was addressing the transition from top roping to lead climbing. A more useful reply might have been some analysis or advice re leading.
Who's going to bother reading a question in a "Hey, look at me I'm new here and an attention whore" post? Who's going to bother reading any of that post?

Winemaker wrote:
But I guess I won't be able to ask a question that hasn't already been answered so I should shut up.
Oh grow some thicker skin already and quitch yer whining.

marc801

Apr 7, 2013, 6:28 PM
Post #10 of 16 (8686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Newbie hello [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Neither of you sub-10K wankers are even a blip on the radar.
Hey! That's Mr. Wanker to you!

curt

Apr 7, 2013, 7:32 PM
Post #11 of 16 (8670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Winemaker wrote:
Hi everyone, Newbie older climber wannabe here with my first post. I've been lurking for a while and want to thank all of you who post some great information and useful suggestions...

...Last weekend I lead my first bolted route at Frenchman Coulee...

I guess my only suggestion would be to gain your initial lead climbing experience at someplace where the hand and foot holds are somewhat less portable.

Curt

Syd

Apr 7, 2013, 8:19 PM
Post #12 of 16 (8660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Winemaker.

How on Earth did your accident happen on top rope ? I found this description "The tendon rupture is therefore probably not the result of the fall but of maximum quadriceps contraction with the fall being the result of a rupture." ... which I can't really picture.

Winemaker

Apr 7, 2013, 9:59 PM
Post #13 of 16 (8642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Newbie hello [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A poor phrasing on my part. My tendon rupture didn't happen while top roped but rather while descending from a daytrip to Camp Muir on Rainier. I was descending quickly and slipped on sandy rock. My left foot caught on the rock as I fell down about two feet, folding my leg under me and I landed on it with full body weight.

Climbing has been a great help with rehad, as it has aided in getting some flexibility back after surgery, as well as strengthening muscles.

Syd

Apr 7, 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #14 of 16 (8637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rapping too fast on an abseil ?

Winemaker

Apr 7, 2013, 10:59 PM
Post #15 of 16 (8632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Newbie hello [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, I'm not being clear enough. Alpine descent on foot, not on rope.

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2013, 3:47 PM
Post #16 of 16 (8505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Winemaker wrote:
Sorry, I'm not being clear enough. Alpine descent on foot, not on rope.

I understood the first time through, so not you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook