Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Tdub1975

Feb 21, 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #26 of 52 (25998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grottoco] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there anything that we can do to help this process along? Any updates on the meetings with the City of London?
In reply to:

grottoco

Feb 22, 2013, 1:34 AM
Post #27 of 52 (25982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tdub1975] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for checking in. Not at this point. The application is being 'circulated'--sent through a rather large list (25 or so)--everyone from various city departments to Ontario Hydro to the Thames Valley Conservation Authority and Canada Post. When that is all done it gets posted--an ad goes up in a Saturday edition of the Free Press stating the property is up for any and all to comment. When that happens will be letting everyone know and they can comment. The planners I have spoken to says they really appreciate when people take the time to write in, especially positive comments, since so much of what the see is negative.

Tdub1975

Feb 22, 2013, 8:47 PM
Post #28 of 52 (25949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes please keep us posted and I will do my best to get as many people as I can to comment on the posting in the Free Press.

grottoco

Feb 26, 2013, 1:29 AM
Post #29 of 52 (25895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet. We will absolutely. It'd be cool to hit some kind of record for most positive comments.

J

Fournier4

Mar 17, 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #30 of 52 (25518 views)
Shortcut

New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am brand new to climbing i have only been a couple times indoor and still want to do more I love it. I live in chatham so there is nothing close to me for at least an hours around. does anyone know whats going on with this place and are looking for climbing partner, i may be green but i am willing to learn, i pick stuff up quick.

(This post was edited by Fournier4 on Mar 18, 2013, 1:25 AM)

Tdub1975

Mar 19, 2013, 8:11 PM
Post #31 of 52 (25453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fournier4] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard nothing lately on the progress. Our city counsel must be too busy with their own unsavoury agendas to care about adding local jobs and tax revenues to our community while adding quality of life for the people who desperately want a facility like this close to home. When the gym opens I'm sure there will be many people looking for climbing partners. Just keep your eye on this forum and I'm sure you will get the latest news when it happens.

Fournier4

Mar 20, 2013, 1:41 AM
Post #32 of 52 (25427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That really sucks you think they would pull their heads out of their butts and get this passed so it can be done. Jobs are a plus may not be hundreds but every job helps. Where do you climb in london? Like i said im rom chatham I have to drive an hour to climb just curious as to other facilities while we wait for this one.
thanks eh, I will be checking this forum regularly in hopes of some news.

Tdub1975

Mar 23, 2013, 12:10 AM
Post #33 of 52 (25336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't climb in London at all really. Used to go to spikes but when they shut down I didn't like what the other locations offered and got tired of commuting so pretty much quit climbing. With the news of a new gym opening I started again and have been several times to CLimbers Rock and Grand River Rocks. The commute is long though and keeps me from getting out much. We need the London Climbing Company to open!

Fournier4

Mar 23, 2013, 1:07 AM
Post #34 of 52 (25326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those both look like nice gyms, I go to one in Sarnia called to the stars its small but its a place to climb so im happy. im driving an hour no matter where I go which isnt that big of a deal, but it would be nice for this facility in London to open already! I dont see why they are taking this much time with it and making it so difficult

grottoco

Apr 2, 2013, 6:20 PM
Post #35 of 52 (25037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey All!

Update time! We've been talking to the planning department. The application is (slowly) moving forward but in a positive direction. We've also been in touch with a couple of the senior staff at city hall regarding other regulatory hurdles.

The support and interest we've gotten from London has been awesome and humbling. Thanks for being patient with us and your city!

More news next week!

John

Tdub1975

Apr 4, 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #37 of 52 (24935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is great news!!!I did a little digging on the City of London web site and found this.

1030 Elias Street – The purpose and effect of this zoning change is to permit the Guelph Grotto Climbing Company to develop an indoor recreational rock climbing facility at this location. Possible change to Zoning By-law Z.-1 FROM a Light Industrial (LI1/LI7) Zone which permits bakeries, business services establishments, laboratories, manufacturing and assembly industries, support offices, paper and allied products, pharmaceutical and medical product industries, printing, reproduction and data processing industries, research and development establishments, warehouse establishments, wholesale establishments, custom workshops, brewing on premises establishments, service and trades, automobile body shops, automobile repair garages, building or contracting establishments, repair and rental establishments, service and repair establishments, service trades, truck sales and services establishments, TO a Light Industrial Special Provision (LI1( )/LI7) Zone which permits a Commercial Recreation Establishment in addition to the above permitted uses.
File: Z- 8154 Planner: AB Watson (Dundas)

PROVIDING COMMENT
Your comments on these matters are important. You may comment by phone, mail, e-mail or fax by calling 519-661-4980, or emailing the planner assigned to the file you are interested in. Mail should be directed to: The City of London, Planning Division, P.O. Box 5035, 300 Dufferin Ave., London, ON, N6A 4L9.
Please note: Comments and opinions submitted on these matters, including the originator’s name and address, become part of the public record, may be viewed by the general public and may be published in a Planning Report and Council Agenda. If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to the City of London before the application is adopted or approved, the person or public body is not entitled to appeal the decision of the Municipal Council or the Approval Authority of the City of London to the Ontario Municipal Board. If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to the City of London before the proposed amendment is adopted or approved, the person or public body may not be added as a party to the hearing of an appeal before the Ontario Municipal Board unless, in the opinion of the Board, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
If you wish to view additional information or material relating to these applications, the files are available to the public at the Planning Division, 206 Dundas Street, or the Development Approvals Business Unit, 6th floor, City Hall, 300 Dufferin Ave., London, ON, Monday to Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. The notices indicate the office location of the files. Key maps for the lands described in these applications are not provided as they are available for review at the offices noted above. *Please ensure you reference the File Number or address in all communications.

Now is the time to give our city planners all the positive feedback and help John@grottoco and our local climbing community build this wonderful new gym.

grottoco

Apr 5, 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #38 of 52 (24926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tdub1975 you're too good! Our wicked awesome announcement for next week has been leaked!

Congrats on tracking down our location. We invite any and all interested folks from the London area and beyond to let the city know they want this to happen. Planners are used to getting lots of negative--'we don't want change" type comments from this process. This is a real chance to show how positive the climbing community can be. The planner who is assigned to us is new to the department and is being really supportive and is making things happen as fast as she can--some parts of the process just take time. You can reach her directly at awatson (at) london.ca

Cheers all--we'll have to think of something else for next week!

Tdub1975

Apr 5, 2013, 1:54 AM
Post #39 of 52 (24914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to apologize John! I didn't mean to steal your thunder. I thought that maybe the newpaper announcement had already passed, as the one I copied and pasted was posted two weeks ago back on March 21. I did take a short drive to see the location today and all I can say is that I am very, very impressed. I can't wait to see what you do with that amount of space and height. Good job!

My fingers are crossed that everything works out for you and we will be sending out our positive comments/feedback to the city by the end of the week. Sorry again for playing the spoiler.

grottoco

Apr 5, 2013, 3:00 AM
Post #40 of 52 (24903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries at all. We take it as an awesome sign of the community that people are so interested. Thanks for the compliments on the property. We're really happy with this building, it's bigger and better than any we've tried to make a go of before.

J

NicM

Apr 8, 2013, 3:28 PM
Post #41 of 52 (24768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been following this thread for months and I created an account just to reply to this. I'm so excited by the location. I live in Old East, on Lorne Ave., a very short walk from the proposed location on Elias street (which is across from a municipal park and community center). I will be sending *extremely* enthusiastic comments to the city, and since I am a resident of the neighborhood, perhaps it will carry more weight.

(Maybe I can even convince the local resident's association to support the endeavor--there are a lot of parents with kids living around here who would LOVE to climb...)

I'm absurdly excited that I will be able to WALK to this facility when it opens! Heck, if you're hiring...

grottoco

Apr 8, 2013, 5:42 PM
Post #42 of 52 (24744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NicM] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much NicM. So awesome that you'll be in the neighbourhood. We're really happy to be in a community and not out in an industrial park.

The resident's association is a great idea. If you know the contact info PM it to us and we'll try to reach out to them directly.

Sarah128

Apr 11, 2013, 3:15 PM
Post #43 of 52 (24584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is SO exciting. I too will have to dust off my climbing gear having returned to London after being in more climber-friendly parts of the world! Guelph Grotto Company, if there is anything I can do to help with this development, please let me know. I would be so happy to volunteer my time to make this happen. Thank you!

grottoco

Apr 12, 2013, 3:46 AM
Post #44 of 52 (24535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sarah128] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! And thanks for the kind offer. A big help is letting the city know that you want this to come to London through the contact info above. Can't wait to be climbing there.

J

NicM

Apr 17, 2013, 7:38 PM
Post #45 of 52 (24292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I walked by the proposed location the other day, after taking my daughter to the local park. What an amazing space. Whoa. I got to have a quick look inside since the hangar door was open. The ceiling is super tall--looks like (60-80) make that 35 feet--and it's basically a big, open play area (with support girders running down the middle). Seriously perfect for this kind of thing. Really psyched now!

edit: in my excitement I completely forgot how to estimate height

(This post was edited by NicM on Apr 17, 2013, 8:25 PM)

grottoco

Apr 17, 2013, 8:18 PM
Post #46 of 52 (24281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NicM] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks NicM! Our jaws dropped the first time we drove up to it. The actual height is 35 feet, which is plenty. The big doors or awesome though. Having them open on a day like today will be great!

JunctionLondon

Apr 18, 2013, 7:04 PM
Post #47 of 52 (24229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello All! Check out the new handle in the sidebar! The Junction Climbing Centre, partner with Guelph Grotto, will be opening in London this fall. In the interest of not abusing the non-commercial spirit of rockclimbing.com any more than we already have we invite any and everyone to follow us on facebook and twitter. PM's to this address are also welcome. Thanks all, see you in London!

JunctionLondon

May 7, 2013, 3:12 PM
Post #48 of 52 (23772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey All,

An update--was talking to the planner this morning and she has received more than enough calls to support our application. Thanks everyone who took the time to write in!

JohnnyQ1964

Jun 27, 2013, 5:42 PM
Post #49 of 52 (23013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JunctionLondon] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So... I haven't seen an update in awhile... Any word when this facility will open?

(This post was edited by JohnnyQ1964 on Jun 27, 2013, 5:43 PM)

parseeker

Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #50 of 52 (22988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JohnnyQ1964] New Climbing Facility in London, Ontario [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JohnnyQ1964 wrote:
So... I haven't seen an update in awhile... Any word when this facility will open?

Seconded/Bumped

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook