RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Yonah

Apr 10, 2013, 1:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4136 views)
Shortcut

SLAP 2 w/ Bankart Legion repair
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had a SLAP 2 w/ Bankart legion repair done. I did PT for 2 years before I decided to go through with the surgery. I have two anchors in my shoulder now I am finally pain free most of the time. I am 6 weeks after surgery two weeks into PT and 1 year off the wall. I wanted to know if anyone else out there has had the same injury and how long did it take you to get back to climbing, forget about what level just getting back on the wall is what is important to me right now.

jamesnater

May 5, 2013, 3:05 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yonah] SLAP 2 w/ Bankart Legion repair [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to know more about your injury. I was recently diagnosed with a SLAP tear, among other things. The ortho I saw suggested 4 weeks of PT first, then to come back for reevaluation to see if I'm getting better. Apparently, because I can still climb, though nothing hard and with lots of pain afterwards if not during, it's not an emergency to have surgery. Last I climbed was a week after resting after the injury. It still hurts doing day to day activities, and especially after I wake up (probably from rolling around in my sleep). I haven't climbed in a month or so.

I've gone in for an MRI, and here's the summary:

1. Reverse Bankart avulsion fracture of the inferior posterior glenoid.
2. Anterior labral periosteal sleeve avulsion (ALPSA lesion)
3. Probable posterior inferior glenohumeral ligament injury.
4. SLAP tear involving the biceps anchor.
5. Probable rotator interval injury.
6. Small, likely reactive glenohumeral joint effusion and subdeltoid bursitis.

Does any of that sound familiar to you? I'd like to know how much the PT helped for you, I really don't want to have to have surgery, it's the last resort, obviously.

(This post was edited by jamesnater on May 5, 2013, 3:07 PM)

jp_sucks

May 5, 2013, 3:56 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] SLAP 2 w/ Bankart Legion repair [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds very similar to the injury I sustained to my shoulder. The main issues was the SLAP tear to the bicep anchor but several other damaged pieces as well. Can't recall exactly what each one was but a few you listed sound familiar for sure.

I injured my shoulder in March 2012 and the ortho recommended PT for at least 12 months. He's well known as the top shoulder surgeon in BC and he said that he'd operated on many of these same injuries and most active people were not very happy with the results.

The first 6 months were very frustrating and the shoulder was not healing quickly at all. I had almost no use of it for at least 3 or 4 months (to the point that I needed help to put on socks, etc). At around the 8 month mark, it started improving more rapidly.

I began climbing again in January (10 months) by doing easy traversing only in the gym. Went in 2-3 times per week and saw fairly rapid progression. I was in the cave doing easy moves after about 7-8 weeks of this and have been climbing outside for the past month and a half.

It still hurts some days but working way better than I ever imagined 6 months ago and I'm really glad I didn't get the surgery too quickly and followed the ortho's advice.

jamesnater

May 7, 2013, 6:58 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] SLAP 2 w/ Bankart Legion repair [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, your input helps a lot. It sounds like you may have hurt yours worse than I did mine.

I feel like I can start traversing in the gym now (not without soreness afterwards though), but I may just hold off for another month just in case.

rkelso

May 13, 2013, 8:15 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yonah] SLAP 2 w/ Bankart Legion repair [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yonah, if you did the surgery, I personally would go through the full PT time of 6 months before you're really back on the wall. It's not worth jumping the gun and putting yourself back in the 6 month waiting cycle by reinjuring it. I had my type 2 SLAP repair done in Nov 2011 with three anchors. I still have pain at the end of my range of motion due to scar tissue in the joint but the joint itself is structurally sound. Also a lot of the PT is building back some of the muscle that atrophied... take in plenty of good protein during the process.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook