RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Jamie_B

Apr 17, 2013, 11:15 AM
Post #1 of 2 (665 views)
Shortcut

Keeping up Fitness when not Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a student an have great access to a climbing wall when at university, but this is only a little over half the year. The rest of the time I'm in a remote village with a single bus on a tuesday and again on thursday. I cannot drive so can only climb on the rare occassions my parents are willing to drive me. I just noticed after my last break that my forearms were getting pumped really quickly and I could only last an hour on V0 climbs (I was doing v1 with ease and the odd v2). Is there any way to keep my fitness up without being able to climb? Would getting/making a hangboard be any good as a beginner?

viciado

Apr 18, 2013, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 2 (583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jamie_B] Keeping up Fitness when not Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hangboards are NOT for beginners. They are a recipe for overuse and stress injury at your stated level.

What about using a bike to get around? You could be able to go to the gym more often. You didn't say how far, but if I can ride a bus, I can usually get to the same place on my bike... and also get the cardio benefits.

Are there any structures around your village which you could use to builder or boulder?

Good luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook