RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Sandman570

Apr 18, 2013, 2:30 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5318 views)
Shortcut

Chunk of rubber torn from sole
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm fairly new to climbing, and recently bought a pair of La Sportiva Katana shoes. After 7 climbs, a chunk of rubber was torn out of the sole of the left shoe from what I assume to be poor technique on a foot hold. The chunk isn't large, about 1 cm long and 2 mm deep.

I'm wondering if this is a normal tear in the rubber, since I haven't seen similar damage on other people's shoes who have worse technique than me.

shotwell

Apr 18, 2013, 3:02 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sandman570] Chunk of rubber torn from sole [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sandman570 wrote:
I'm fairly new to climbing, and recently bought a pair of La Sportiva Katana shoes. After 7 climbs, a chunk of rubber was torn out of the sole of the left shoe from what I assume to be poor technique on a foot hold. The chunk isn't large, about 1 cm long and 2 mm deep.

I'm wondering if this is a normal tear in the rubber, since I haven't seen similar damage on other people's shoes who have worse technique than me.

It happens on sharp holds sometimes but most often happens if you're climbing inside. Sometimes there are screws either left in or broken off in the wall when the holds get stripped. If your shoe hits one of these screws when you're flailing your foot around it will tear the rubber.

Sandman570

Apr 18, 2013, 3:08 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Chunk of rubber torn from sole [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, I don't think I hit any screws but it's possible. Is it reason for concern? I'm worried the tear might now grow with normal use.

viciado

Apr 18, 2013, 3:20 PM
Post #4 of 9 (5287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whether or not the damage will be a problem largely depends on where it is. However, most folks trash their first pair of shoes pretty quickly, so it probably will not be a big deal. Keep an eye on it. If it starts to open up too much, you may want to consider an early resole.

shotwell

Apr 18, 2013, 4:04 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sandman570 wrote:
Thank you, I don't think I hit any screws but it's possible. Is it reason for concern? I'm worried the tear might now grow with normal use.

I have a tear in the toe of my shoe from smearing a broken screw. Never realized it was there. It hasn't torn further in the 6 weeks since.

markcarlson

Apr 18, 2013, 6:30 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had much larger cuts in the soles of my shoes before. The only time it had a noticeable effect is when it is right on the edge.

If it is not near an edge, then you'll be fine. If it is, then it will be a bit annoying until the rest of the edge wears down (usually doesn't take long for beginners.)

Just be thankful it wasn't your hand or another body part that had the chunk taken out of it!

shockabuku

Apr 19, 2013, 2:58 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sandman570 wrote:

What difference does it make if it does or doesn't?

Sandman570

Apr 19, 2013, 4:17 AM
Post #8 of 9 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Chunk of rubber torn from sole [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just not sure if it's a cause for warranty replacement, or if I should sand it down to prevent it from tearing further. Fairly new to climbing and gear use so just gathering info

shockabuku

Apr 19, 2013, 4:41 AM
Post #9 of 9 (5139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fair enough. I don't think it's a legitimate warranty issue. I might sand, or more likely cut, off any pieces that are hanging loose and climb on. Climbing shoe soles are consumable. Mine last roughly 6-8 months and I get them resoled. If a chunk rips off and they don't last quite as long I chalk it up to variety in the product. They are hand made after all.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook