Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Top Rope Anchor setup
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


ARMClimbing


Apr 20, 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #1 of 15 (5194 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 2

Top Rope Anchor setup
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The most comon top rope set up when you have two bolts, either parallel o one higher than the other is to pass through some webbing, make a loop and then tie an overhand in the direction of the pull. My question is that if it would be ok to do the following: I have alot of old rope. I would take a 3 or 4 ft peace of old rope and tie double overhands to each extremity for bolt conection and then use a clove hitch with two opposing biners in the direction of the pull. Strength and security wise, would this be ok?
Attachments: homemade sport anchor.jpg (148 KB)


shockabuku


Apr 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #2 of 15 (5184 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4867

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ARMClimbing wrote:
The most comon top rope set up when you have two bolts, either parallel o one higher than the other is to pass through some webbing, make a loop and then tie an overhand in the direction of the pull. My question is that if it would be ok to do the following: I have alot of old rope. I would take a 3 or 4 ft peace of old rope and tie double overhands to each extremity for bolt conection and then use a clove hitch with two opposing biners in the direction of the pull. Strength and security wise, would this be ok?

Do you drive on tires with no tread?

Would it be okay, in a pinch, - probably - but I wouldn't use it and I probably wouldn't climb with someone who did.

Figure eight or the overhand would be a better choice in all locations, especially if you're going to use it repeatedly. If you have a lot of old rope, don't be cheap with it.


(This post was edited by shockabuku on Apr 20, 2013, 10:32 AM)


ARMClimbing


Apr 20, 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #3 of 15 (5168 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Posts: 2

Re: [shockabuku] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you have a good reason why this is not valid?
double overhand is being used for much more important aplications (like rescue operations) and it is said to be very similar to the 8 knot in pull tests. The clove hitch works well even when it is pulled from one end so the individuality of the points is maintained. Could you explain your opinion with facts?


shockabuku


Apr 20, 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4867

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not fully. It's unknown for use in this application (by me), and in the absence of a pretty good reason to use something unknown in place of something with demonstrated and known effectiveness - when my life is at stake - I'll stick with something I know. I also suspect the double overhand of loosening under cyclic loading.

Is there a good reason not to use the other?


csproul


Apr 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
Post #5 of 15 (5139 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Probably fine. I can't quite tell what the knot is at each bolt end, but an overhand or 8 on a bight would do just fine. But if it's a sport anchor, what's wrong with 2 quickdraws?


potreroed


Apr 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5136 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2001
Posts: 1454

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Keep it simple. You have two bolts there already, just use two quickdraws.


acorneau


Apr 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5131 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [shockabuku] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Not fully. It's unknown for use in this application (by me), and in the absence of a pretty good reason to use something unknown in place of something with demonstrated and known effectiveness - when my life is at stake - I'll stick with something I know. I also suspect the double overhand of loosening under cyclic loading.

Is there a good reason not to use the other?

FYI: A clove hitch as "master point" is common for some climbers and/or in some areas. I use it frequently.

The double-overhand (a.k.a. barrel) knot is widely used in the rescue and industrial rope access worlds. It will cinch down on the carabiner to hold it tight and there is no cyclical loading issues like a water knot in webbing.

I don't see any major problems with this rig, assuming the barrel knots have been pre-tightened with adequate tails.


shockabuku


Apr 20, 2013, 4:25 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4867

Re: [acorneau] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
FYI: A clove hitch as "master point" is common ...I use it frequently.

Why?


Winemaker


Apr 20, 2013, 6:16 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5021 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2013
Posts: 15

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a newbie, so be easy on me but........ a couple of things jump out at me. First, the load won't be equalized because of the hitch, so a single rope/anchor only will be loaded. Second, if the rope breaks at the hitch the anchor will fail. A runner through both hardware biners with a twist will at least equalize load and save your ass if an anchor point fails.


(This post was edited by Winemaker on Apr 20, 2013, 6:17 PM)


acorneau


Apr 20, 2013, 7:09 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4999 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [shockabuku] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
acorneau wrote:
FYI: A clove hitch as "master point" is common ...I use it frequently.

Why?

When I create rope-based anchors (frequently on trad/multi-pitch routes) I use a clove as a master point. It allows me to easily adjust the master point to the "sweet spot" after the rest of the anchor has been constructed. Doing that with a fig-8 master point would be laborious and time consuming.

Secondly, if one side of the anchor gets more weight than the other unexpectedly (misjudged direction of pull) the clove hitch will cinch down in that direction thus allowing for better equalization between the two sides even after the fact.

Thirdly, the clove hitch takes much less material to tie than a fig-8 or overhand on a bight.


bearbreeder


Apr 20, 2013, 8:04 PM
Post #11 of 15 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

its fine ... you wont die

Wink


wivanoff


Apr 21, 2013, 6:40 AM
Post #12 of 15 (4919 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 23, 2007
Posts: 144

Re: [Winemaker] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Winemaker wrote:
I'm a newbie, so be easy on me but........ a couple of things jump out at me. First, the load won't be equalized because of the hitch, so a single rope/anchor only will be loaded.

True, it won't be 50/50. But it can be "distributed" or "shared" by easily adjusting the location of the clove hitch. Let's keep in mind that the anchor shown is made out of two bolts and a length of climbing rope. The same diameter climbing rope that you tie into your harness with a single loop. And people regularly take leader falls on gear that is a lot smaller than that top rope anchor.

Winemaker wrote:
Second, if the rope breaks at the hitch the anchor will fail.

See my comments about the anchor being made out of a length of climbing rope. Look here http://www.geir.com/mythbuster.html and scroll down to Myth #4

Winemaker wrote:
A runner through both hardware biners with a twist will at least equalize load and save your ass if an anchor point fails.

Using your argument, you're concerned about one leg of the climbing rope anchor breaking. What happens if one leg of your twisted sling (magic X) breaks? Unless you've tired limiter knots, your screwed.

In short, while it might not be my first choice to build an anchor as shown, it's fine. I'd probably use one runner on each bolt and join them at the masterpoint. I see no reason to carry a length of climbing rope specifically to build the anchor shown - especially when I already have slings with me anyways.

Winemaker, for a while I too bought into the "[dynamically] equalized and no extension" bullcrap with all types of nerd-o-lettes. I now believe that "distributed as best as you can" and "NO extension" is a better anchor solution. But then, see my signature....


qwert


Apr 22, 2013, 1:12 AM
Post #13 of 15 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Posts: 2394

Re: [ARMClimbing] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ARMClimbing wrote:
I would take a 3 or 4 ft peace of old rope and tie double overhands to each extremity for bolt conection and then use a clove hitch with two opposing biners in the direction of the pull. Strength and security wise, would this be ok?
I cannot say anything about the double overhands, apart from this: I'd give them longer tails than shown in your picture.
The clove hitch: How does it behave with two biners? I could imagine that the possible movement of the biners against each other might cause some slippage/ prevent the clove from coming thight.
I'd just use a normal overhand for every pictured knot, and if I need some adjusting, I'd place cloves at the legs.

If you have some rope, and you need/want a dedicated toprope anchor that seems like an easy and cheap solution, but on the other hand, why would you need/want a dedicated toprape anchor…

qwert


qwert


Apr 22, 2013, 1:16 AM
Post #14 of 15 (4746 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Posts: 2394

Re: [Winemaker] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Winemaker wrote:
I'm a newbie, so be easy on me but........ a couple of things jump out at me. First, the load won't be equalized because of the hitch, so a single rope/anchor only will be loaded. Second, if the rope breaks at the hitch the anchor will fail. A runner through both hardware biners with a twist will at least equalize load and save your ass if an anchor point fails.
There are about 123325321 threads on the subject of dynamic equalization and whether it actually does work or even is beneficial instead of dangerous. Also, a lot of folks more educated on the subject than the tipical rc.com member have thought really hard on this.

I wont go into the details, but the current result seems to be that dynamic equalization does not work, and in those situation where you would need it the most, trying to go for it might actually be detrimental.

But in the case of a sport anchor with two solid bolts, it does not matter. If you manage to put a load on your anchor that is that big that you need to distribute it in order for the bolts to hold, you are doing something very very very wrong anyways.

qwert


Libbster


Apr 22, 2013, 8:08 AM
Post #15 of 15 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 16, 2012
Posts: 48

Re: [csproul] Top Rope Anchor setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Two quickdraws are fine when the bolts are right against the wall like in the picture. However if there is a ledge quickdraws are not good enough because you need to extend the masterpoint. I would still use some webbing and two locking biners anyway. I prefer a locked masterpoint


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$105.30 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook