RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

BSchoemann

Apr 19, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1511 views)
Shortcut

New Leg Pains for a Beginner Bolderer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got into Boldering, the top of the route I had attempted maybe a dozen times was about 10' off the floor. Every time I got to the top I would drop the entire way onto my feet onto the cushy floor they have at the indoor gym I go to. Now, today I have an odd pain in both my legs, some mix between joint pain [in my knees] and muscle pain [in my calves and thighs]. I was wondering if I continue to drop from the top of these routes, if the pain will eventually subside through use [like regular muscle growth] or should I just stop jumping from the top of the routes that I'm on.

RockyBobby

Apr 21, 2013, 9:33 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BSchoemann] New Leg Pains for a Beginner Bolderer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Work on down climbing as far as you can and then drop. Should help your endurance, technique and also take a little of the beating off your knees.

BSchoemann

Apr 21, 2013, 6:59 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RockyBobby] New Leg Pains for a Beginner Bolderer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks I appreciate it.

onceahardman

Apr 22, 2013, 2:51 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

BSchoemann wrote:
I just got into Boldering, the top of the route I had attempted maybe a dozen times was about 10' off the floor. Every time I got to the top I would drop the entire way onto my feet onto the cushy floor they have at the indoor gym I go to. Now, today I have an odd pain in both my legs, some mix between joint pain [in my knees] and muscle pain [in my calves and thighs]. I was wondering if I continue to drop from the top of these routes, if the pain will eventually subside through use [like regular muscle growth] or should I just stop jumping from the top of the routes that I'm on.

The muscular component of your pain is probably from strong eccentric contractions of quads, hams, glutes, gastrocs, etc. You could potentially strengthen enough to not have that.

The knee joint component, though, is a problem. Joint inflammation is, by definition, arthritis.

Downclimbing is a very valuable skill. Developing the habit of jumping off of stuff is probably not the best idea, especially if you plan on really "bouldering" (you know, climbing on boulders), instead of climbing on plywood and plastic.

In bouldering, every fall is a groundfall.

theextremist04

Apr 22, 2013, 4:51 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probably not that hard to give yourself patellar tendonitis if you keep falling from the top of the wall- you may be feeling the beginnings of that.

BSchoemann

Apr 22, 2013, 7:17 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] New Leg Pains for a Beginner Bolderer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate your input. Thankfully now, both muscle and bone feel fine. Next time I'll just do a little more down climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook