Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cleaning Routes and Names?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Sacredmonkeyman

Apr 24, 2013, 4:12 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1234 views)
Shortcut

Cleaning Routes and Names?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northcentral_Region: Blue_Run_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been frequenting the rocks for about several months now and I have cleaned some new routes that I don't believe have any names that I've seen posted. How do we go about establishing these as routes? Is it okay if I post them on here with the names I have given them?

5.samadhi

Apr 28, 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sacredmonkeyman] Cleaning Routes and Names? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

yes OK

if somebody contests you though be humble I'd say. Sometimes its obvious like if its an overhanging cave route that you bolted...then probably you have the first ascent. If its just a crack that filled in with dirt and plants...well...maybe not...one huge storm can fill a crack in with dirt...then it just takes a few months for seeds to drift over for plants to start growing.

Also probably try to go out of your way to find anybody climbing in the area for a long time, they might know much more about those routes than you think. I for one have tremendously enjoyed speaking to older veterans in the sport.

Sacredmonkeyman

May 2, 2013, 9:16 PM
Post #3 of 5 (972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [5.samadhi] Cleaning Routes and Names? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely going to check with the local climbing outfitter to find out about the climbs that aren't listed in the beta. It would be cool to see if the climbs I'm thinking of have been established and what the first ascensionist rated them versus what I thought they were too....ot maybe I really did send them firstAngelic that would be cool too. Haha cheers!

funk

May 23, 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #4 of 5 (830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sacredmonkeyman] Cleaning Routes and Names? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm going to have to assume that a certain former resident and guide book author of PA will claim to have FA'd all of the aforementioned routes and then talk sh*t on anyone else known to have developed areas.

Sacredmonkeyman

May 24, 2013, 1:51 PM
Post #5 of 5 (753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funk] Cleaning Routes and Names? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seeing as in his guide book he mentioned there being routes up there that need to be climbed and cleaned, that have not been, I doubt he will take that stand point. It is also very common knowledge that he was not the first person there to develope and climb that area, but it is obvious that there are climbs that people haven't touched in the past ten years, if ever. So if I ever get to cleaning them and naming them I will post them and if somebody sees it and contest, I will then ask them for the name of the route, when it was ascended, and what they think it should be rated. I will also ask them why they never posted it. Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook