RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

lighthouse

Apr 26, 2013, 4:06 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1907 views)
Shortcut

3month trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so i have a van and three months to go climbing, namely oct nov and dec. I am trying to plan an epic climbing trip thru the states, mainly cali. I would be classified as begginer but want to take this time to climb and learn. Any suggestions/ideas for such a trip?

granite_grrl

Apr 26, 2013, 5:06 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lighthouse] 3month trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how much of a beginner are you? Might be harder to hook up with people on the road if you don't bring some pretty sold basic skills to the table.

Also, if you prefer some climbing styles to others that will vastly change the areas people will recomend you visit.

potreroed

Apr 26, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's going to be pretty chilly everywhere so your best bets will be southern Cal, Joshua Tree, southern Arizona, Mt Lemmon, Cochise Stronghold and Texas, Hueco Tanks. The next logical step would be to dip into northern Mexico. El Potrero Chico is just 3 hours south of Laredo and has tons of well-bolted moderates, free camping, cheap beer and cheap living in general.

5.samadhi

Apr 26, 2013, 5:45 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] 3month trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would go to el portrero chico if I were you...maybe stop in las vegas red rocks for a couple weeks on the way south. Maybe hit heuco tanks if you are really liking bouldering.

Main thing is stay in one place for a while. If you have 3 months I'd say maximum number of destinations should be 3. If you move around a lot you won't really get into the type of climbing for each area. Every place has a different style and as beginner will really need to learn individual techniques for each area quite intensely.

Also if you stay in portrero chico you can be one of "those guys" that lives at the area and gets to know it and when trips with 2-3 people come in for like 2-3 days, then you know every route nearby and you know the classics and they will want to climb with you.

have fun man! My year off climbing was hands down the best time in my life. Met some lifelong friends and climbed some amazing routes and problems. And saw some amazingly beautiful places.

I will never forget sunrise in the buttermilks in bishop the rest of my life.

(This post was edited by 5.samadhi on Apr 26, 2013, 5:46 PM)

lighthouse

Apr 26, 2013, 7:18 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [5.samadhi] 3month trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the ideas folks

i hope to be a semi-confident sport climber by the time I hit the road, and I will be travelling with my girl who is the same level climber, so I wont have to worry about finding someone to climb with.

what is yosemite like in October? I was thinking maybe Yosemite in oct, bishop in Nov and joshua tree in december.

this seem reasonable?

Kartessa

Apr 27, 2013, 3:22 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lighthouse wrote:
thanks for the ideas folks

i hope to be a semi-confident sport climber by the time I hit the road, and I will be travelling with my girl who is the same level climber, so I wont have to worry about finding someone to climb with.

what is yosemite like in October? I was thinking maybe Yosemite in oct, bishop in Nov and joshua tree in december.

this seem reasonable?

All are possible, but chances are you'll get a good chill.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook