Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 ... 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 ... 1808 Next page Last page  View All


Partner macherry


Apr 24, 2013, 12:23 PM
Post #42651 of 45195 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15808

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
macherry wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
this place is dead

*crickets*

not just this thread

I wonder how the traffic numbers look. These guys have to be itching to let this place die at some point.

when i randomly check who's on line, it's amazing how low the numbers are. when i joined this place was very busy, especially at night. i'm sure sites like Facebook have contributed to low numbers.

I'd rather read and post on the Taco these days.

Me as Mod = rat
RC.noob = sinking ship

haven't been on the taco for a long time.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Apr 24, 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #42652 of 45195 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Donny,,


have you been up to Mineral King in SEKI before?
Yes for a couple of trips, 2 good week long backpacking trips.
Gorgous alpine area. At the time there was a ranger station to bet your backcountry permits there, can't say if that is still the case, the seki website should have the 411.
Miles of narrow rough dirt roads to get there, but otherwise easily 2wd driveable.
*eyes glaze over*
y due ewe axe?

I am planning a 4 day trip Memorial Day weekend. I have awl the logistics set in motion and plans made... except for one thing:


Marmot deterrent.

I've read a few different methods to do this, and since it will be early season they'll be out in force. How'd you do it? I've seen everything from tarping the bottom of your vehicle to surrounding your vehicle in chicken wire, a combination of the two, and even adding coyote urine and mothballs. Leaving your hood open is another method too...

Just looking for opinions/what people did.

Nothing.
Absolutly nothing.
Both times I was there they gave us the marmut rundown, "check your hoses before you leave." But never had a problem. Of course this was in the 90-95 time frame. So, I am afraid I am of no help again.
So this raises a question, has anyone ever had their hoses attacked by Marmuts? Does anyone personally seen or know someone who has? I've only ever heard stories spread around. Like momma bear sending the cubs up the cables to get the food. or the raid can wrapped in bacon. Seams to be urban lengend????
However, I have heard dryer sheets keeps the rats/mice out of the engine compartment. Might try that.
But otherwise, does anyone have any first hand experience with the notorious marmut?
Good luck. Tongue
so this raises a question, will AAA go to Mineral King to tow you to the nearest shop for hose repairs?

research says it's an $1100 fix, including towing...


Kartessa


Apr 24, 2013, 1:02 PM
Post #42653 of 45195 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [macherry] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Iz Raining Unsure


Partner epoch
Moderator

Apr 24, 2013, 3:51 PM
Post #42654 of 45195 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Iz Raining Unsure
Iz kind-of cloudy... warm, but kind-of cloudy


Gmburns2000


Apr 25, 2013, 5:53 AM
Post #42655 of 45195 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15173

Re: [macherry] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
this place is dead

*crickets*

not just this thread

I wonder how the traffic numbers look. These guys have to be itching to let this place die at some point.

when i randomly check who's on line, it's amazing how low the numbers are. when i joined this place was very busy, especially at night. i'm sure sites like Facebook have contributed to low numbers.

I don't doubt FB has contributed, but I really don't think that's it. As much as 1.5 years ago this place was still rockin' pretty well. I think it has a lot to do with poor site maintenance and the chasing off of good contributors.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Apr 25, 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #42656 of 45195 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
this place is dead

*crickets*

not just this thread

I wonder how the traffic numbers look. These guys have to be itching to let this place die at some point.

when i randomly check who's on line, it's amazing how low the numbers are. when i joined this place was very busy, especially at night. i'm sure sites like Facebook have contributed to low numbers.

I don't doubt FB has contributed, but I really don't think that's it. As much as 1.5 years ago this place was still rockin' pretty well. I think it has a lot to do with poor site maintenance and the chasing off of good contributors.
This...


notapplicable


Apr 25, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #42657 of 45195 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got a PM saying I am being bailed on for the RRG. That bitch!

Luckily I am bringing reinfocrcements.


edge


Apr 25, 2013, 4:18 PM
Post #42658 of 45195 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Just got a PM saying I am being bailed on for the RRG. That bitch!

Luckily I am bringing reinfocrcements.

Et tu, Brutus...


Gmburns2000


Apr 26, 2013, 1:02 PM
Post #42659 of 45195 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15173

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Just got a PM saying I am being bailed on for the RRG. That bitch!

Luckily I am bringing reinfocrcements.

I'm heading to the beach for five days. leaving tomorrow morning and returning wed morning (so that really makes it 3.5 days, but whatever.

at least one day will be spent on the beach. another on a boat. the other...pouring caipirinhas down my throat.


Kartessa


Apr 26, 2013, 7:49 PM
Post #42660 of 45195 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Just got a PM saying I am being bailed on for the RRG. That bitch!

Luckily I am bringing reinfocrcements.

You scared me


notapplicable


Apr 26, 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #42661 of 45195 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Just got a PM saying I am being bailed on for the RRG. That bitch!

Luckily I am bringing reinfocrcements.

You scared me

Pirate


notapplicable


Apr 26, 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #42662 of 45195 (1812 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to see beach pictures or it didn't happen.


Kartessa


Apr 27, 2013, 4:30 AM
Post #42663 of 45195 (1806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I want to see beach pictures or it didn't happen.

I'll have embarrassing ones taken by a 5 year old of me in a bathing suit... just to appease to beast


Gmburns2000


Apr 27, 2013, 5:49 AM
Post #42664 of 45195 (1797 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15173

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I want to see beach pictures or it didn't happen.

Thanks for the reminder. Almost forgot my camera


edge


Apr 27, 2013, 6:38 PM
Post #42665 of 45195 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
edge wrote:
Plans to return to the crag on Friday; supposed to be 50 degrees and no wind.

Perfect temps, and I got on a total of 5 routes from 5.7 - 5.10a/b.

Although I didn't plan on it, I scrubbed a new line and led "Raven Song" at 5.7 directly up the middle of the cliff. Not too many remaining blanks on the Longstack map, but I'm sure I'll eek out a few more lines before I move.

Another stellar day on Longstack. I only got on four routes, but one was a return to Raven Song to push the Direct Finish to the top of the cliff, 5.8, 175'.

Here's my friend Sarah following the complete route after I gave the thing a top down scrubbing.



edge


Apr 27, 2013, 6:42 PM
Post #42666 of 45195 (1773 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The wife is away for an out-of-state baby shower. Climbing, watching the Red Sox, and beginning to pack boxes to go in the storage pod that arrives on Thursday. We should be completely homeless and on the road in two weeks.


Partner macherry


Apr 28, 2013, 8:43 AM
Post #42667 of 45195 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15808

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
The wife is away for an out-of-state baby shower. Climbing, watching the Red Sox, and beginning to pack boxes to go in the storage pod that arrives on Thursday. We should be completely homeless and on the road in two weeks.

camping in the wal mart parking lot for the win!!


Kartessa


Apr 28, 2013, 9:29 AM
Post #42668 of 45195 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [macherry] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So the KY forecast has cleared up... 'cept down here in FL its rain every day now


edge


Apr 28, 2013, 9:41 AM
Post #42669 of 45195 (1750 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [macherry] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
edge wrote:
The wife is away for an out-of-state baby shower. Climbing, watching the Red Sox, and beginning to pack boxes to go in the storage pod that arrives on Thursday. We should be completely homeless and on the road in two weeks.

camping in the wal mart parking lot for the win!!

Ummm, no.


edge


Apr 28, 2013, 9:42 AM
Post #42670 of 45195 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
So the KY forecast has cleared up... 'cept down here in FL its rain every day now

Keep your lube adventures to yourself!


Kartessa


Apr 29, 2013, 6:35 AM
Post #42671 of 45195 (1731 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
So the KY forecast has cleared up... 'cept down here in FL its rain every day now

Keep your lube adventures to yourself!

What would you say about taking a SUP out when thunderstorms are forecasted?


edge


Apr 29, 2013, 7:15 AM
Post #42672 of 45195 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
So the KY forecast has cleared up... 'cept down here in FL its rain every day now

Keep your lube adventures to yourself!

What would you say about taking a SUP out when thunderstorms are forecasted?

Not much, 'SUP with you?

Personally I love thunderstorms; been known to climb a tall pine tree in them to feel the energy. If SUP is a typo for SUV, then I say go for it, perfectly safe. If its short for stand up paddle board, then I would do that as well, just keep an eye on the horizon and stay within 15 minutes of shore. Or maybe it means something else?

Salty Urban Pretzels?
Somewhat Unhappy Partner?
Slightly Unflattering Pants?
Stiff Uncut Penish?


donald949


Apr 29, 2013, 8:37 AM
Post #42673 of 45195 (1716 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11393

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Donny,,


have you been up to Mineral King in SEKI before?
Yes for a couple of trips, 2 good week long backpacking trips.
Gorgous alpine area. At the time there was a ranger station to bet your backcountry permits there, can't say if that is still the case, the seki website should have the 411.
Miles of narrow rough dirt roads to get there, but otherwise easily 2wd driveable.
*eyes glaze over*
y due ewe axe?

I am planning a 4 day trip Memorial Day weekend. I have awl the logistics set in motion and plans made... except for one thing:


Marmot deterrent.

I've read a few different methods to do this, and since it will be early season they'll be out in force. How'd you do it? I've seen everything from tarping the bottom of your vehicle to surrounding your vehicle in chicken wire, a combination of the two, and even adding coyote urine and mothballs. Leaving your hood open is another method too...

Just looking for opinions/what people did.

Nothing.
Absolutly nothing.
Both times I was there they gave us the marmut rundown, "check your hoses before you leave." But never had a problem. Of course this was in the 90-95 time frame. So, I am afraid I am of no help again.
So this raises a question, has anyone ever had their hoses attacked by Marmuts? Does anyone personally seen or know someone who has? I've only ever heard stories spread around. Like momma bear sending the cubs up the cables to get the food. or the raid can wrapped in bacon. Seams to be urban lengend????
However, I have heard dryer sheets keeps the rats/mice out of the engine compartment. Might try that.
But otherwise, does anyone have any first hand experience with the notorious marmut?
Good luck. Tongue
so this raises a question, will AAA go to Mineral King to tow you to the nearest shop for hose repairs?

research says it's an $1100 fix, including towing...
sew I googleplexed teh hose eating marmots. knot a lot of first hand stories. Butt there r sum, and pictures two. Including sum where furball wedged themselves in goodantight and couldn't be removed. Others that hid so well they ended up in ventura.
Appears to be true, not jess legend. Although won poster mentioned the dryer sheet as a deterent.
Good luck. Crazy


donald949


Apr 29, 2013, 8:40 AM
Post #42674 of 45195 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11393

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I want to see beach pictures or it didn't happen.
I saw a fb pic of a munchin on the beach


donald949


Apr 29, 2013, 8:41 AM
Post #42675 of 45195 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11393

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
I want to see beach pictures or it didn't happen.

I'll have embarrassing ones taken by a 5 year old of me in a bathing suit... just to appease to beast
hmm.....
somehow I missed those.

First page Previous page 1 ... 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 ... 1808 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$45.99 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$18.86 (10% off)
$123.30 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook