RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Gdog42

Apr 29, 2013, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 9 (9873 views)
Shortcut

Cargo pants or sweat pants?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I usually climb in either sweat pants, track pants or shorts. Haven't really done cargo pants yet but I was thinking about getting a pair soon.

I have seen people climbing in them before- then again I've also seen people climb in jeans, which I personally would not climb in because for me they'd be too restrictive (and they have the "fake boner" effect)

How restrictive are cargo pants compared to both jeans and sweat/track pants? Smile

(This post was edited by Gdog42 on Apr 29, 2013, 2:25 AM)

qwert

Apr 29, 2013, 8:24 AM
Post #2 of 9 (9817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gdog42] Cargo pants or sweat pants? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gdog42 wrote:
I usually climb in either sweat pants, track pants or shorts. Haven't really done cargo pants yet but I was thinking about getting a pair soon.

I have seen people climbing in them before- then again I've also seen people climb in jeans, which I personally would not climb in because for me they'd be too restrictive (and they have the "fake boner" effect)

How restrictive are cargo pants compared to both jeans and sweat/track pants? Smile
Well, they do restrict your ability to look like an adult, but sweatpants do even more so, so that does not seem to matter for you…

Their is no single type of pants that does not work for climbing, as there is not single type of pants that always does.

Fit is everything. If they fit well, jeans can be the perfect climbing pants (if we are not talking ice or alpine). I do about 50% of my climbing in "standard" jeans. You might have better chances to find something that is cut for movement when looking at outdoor brands, but having a patagonia logo on your pants is not a warranty for a movement friendly cut.

So try it on, make yourself look like an idiot by moving around weirdly in front of the mirror close to the changing rooms and decide for yourself.

qwert

Tfinney110

Apr 29, 2013, 1:25 PM
Post #3 of 9 (9775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Cargo pants or sweat pants? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yep. Just what my goal is when I'm climbing, to "look like an adult".. Laugh out loud.

iron106

Apr 29, 2013, 1:35 PM
Post #4 of 9 (9772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brightly colored Spandex were the best climbing pants ever. However, Zubaz could have been better with cargo pockets.

Gdog42

Apr 29, 2013, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 9 (9760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] Cargo pants or sweat pants? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok then!

lol speaking of "looking like an adult", I've actually seen a couple of climbers wearing pajama pants over the years. Then there was that one guy who always wore tights in that gym in Englandback in 2007 :/

I just realized I have one pair of jeans that fit fine without a belt and are quite loose, so they might fit good under my harness. I'll go ahead and try those tomorrow. I'll also be at khols later so I'll see what they have as far as cargo pants go. I'm expecting great things...

marc801

Apr 29, 2013, 2:28 PM
Post #6 of 9 (9740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gdog42 wrote:
ok then!

lol speaking of "looking like an adult", I've actually seen a couple of climbers wearing pajama pants over the years. Then there was that one guy who always wore tights in that gym in Englandback in 2007 :/

I just realized I have one pair of jeans that fit fine without a belt and are quite loose, so they might fit good under my harness. I'll go ahead and try those tomorrow. I'll also be at khols later so I'll see what they have as far as cargo pants go. I'm expecting great things...

Wait.
After overthinking the piss out of almost everything else, n00bs are now overthinking the piss out of what fucking pants to wear?
Hewsflash! They're just fucking pants! It doesn't matter.
Jesus.

lena_chita

Apr 29, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 9 (9720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Cargo pants or sweat pants? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Gdog42 wrote:
ok then!

Wait.
After overthinking the piss out of almost everything else, n00bs are now overthinking the piss out of what fucking pants to wear?
Hewsflash! They're just fucking pants! It doesn't matter.
Jesus.

Well, it DOES matter, insofar as climbing in uncomfortable/ill-fitting pants would be annoying (e.g. pants that are too long and won't stay rolled up) and/or would interfere with some movement (e.g. pants that are too tight and won't allow you to high-step)

But yes, it amazes me that anyone past toddler age needs help finding pants that fit them and are appropriate for the task at hand.

I think there is a niche market for clothes shopping -assistant who is familiar with climbing. I can just see a Groupon ad: For mere $50 on hour, your personal shopping assistant will help you find the best climbing pants! Guaranteed to look stylish and feel comfortable.

bearbreeder

Apr 29, 2013, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 9 (9694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thong ... totally unrestricted free movement for those 5.16 gym toppu roperu tofu guys and gals

Tongue

Gdog42

Apr 29, 2013, 8:15 PM
Post #9 of 9 (9654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Cargo pants or sweat pants? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol I just wanted to know how full-length cargo pants feel compared to the other types I've already been wearing!

I tried jeans once a couple of years ago but it was much more difficult to do any complex movements when bouldering in them. And I like those moves- they help out on difficult route problems like a nice bagel does on a boring Monday afternoon Laugh....

Thanks for the suggestions. And the advise on, well, just wearing whatever fells good!

(This post was edited by Gdog42 on Apr 29, 2013, 8:20 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook