Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

May 1, 2013, 9:21 PM
Post #26 of 33 (3660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Here's the Sherpa version of the incident,

http://www.alanarnette.com/...he-sherpas-viewpoint

Rob.calm

link doesn't work.

this one apparently does: http://www.alanarnette.com/...e-sherpas-viewpoint/

majid_sabet

May 1, 2013, 9:26 PM
Post #27 of 33 (3658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jorgegonzalez] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jorgegonzalez wrote:
I heard on the news that after dis-regrding the Sherpas' request that they wait to climb until after the Sherpas finished fixing the line, the trio went around and kicked off ice that fell and struck one of the Sherpas, injuring him.

While I wasn't there and can't say to what degree the Sherpas' reaction to the trio's action was justified, it certainly was not an unprovoked incident.

The history of treatment (or mistreatment) of Sherpas undoubtedly blew the situation up out of proportion, causing the climbers to suffer for the ills and misconduct of their brethren.

I'm just saying . . .

this came from friend of mine who is a Sherpa guide in Everest

On Apr 30, 2013, at 9:23 AM,

Hi

How you been ?

What is going on on Everest ? Fighting ?

Majid

Majid,
Namaste!

There was some misunderstanding between European climbers and Sherpa guides. As I noticed the Sherpas were fixing the rope on lhotse face below camp III and the other climber had kept climbing a head even the Sherpas ask them to wait. Some how the chunk of ice roll down, which was mis locate by the other climbers above. The ice hit on one of the route fixing sherpa and got injured. The discussion started from that point and turn into big issue once they reached back at the camp. The media made it huge issues although the both side considered their mistake and agreed to keep climbing with each others supports. The agreement paper was signed at base camp.

It is very sad news though. Everyone should respect each other.

Thank you.

Best,

Sent from my iPhone

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 1, 2013, 9:31 PM)

lofstromc

May 1, 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #28 of 33 (3630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Majid,
I've only climbed stone, so, what I think and say comes from that experience only. Keep that in mind, please before you answer.
My first thought to your post was, if a party chooses to climb past and beyond the sherpas, who are fixing ropes for other parties, isn't that their right to do so?

majid_sabet

May 2, 2013, 12:11 AM
Post #29 of 33 (3622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lofstromc] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

lofstromc wrote:
Majid,
I've only climbed stone, so, what I think and say comes from that experience only. Keep that in mind, please before you answer.
My first thought to your post was, if a party chooses to climb past and beyond the sherpas, who are fixing ropes for other parties, isn't that their right to do so?

yes and no. in hi alt climbing especially big 8s, the climbers and sherpas work together and have regular meeting to discuss their planning so every one is safe. when sherpas are fixing rope, they are fixing it for everyone so it would be proper to let them finish it up. Sherpas know the mountain and that is their business so whatever they do, generally its to the benefit of everyone .

if you are an individual with ego disregarding locals and something goes wrong then you better be ready to get your ass kicked down at the BC.

ObviousTroll

May 2, 2013, 1:24 PM
Post #30 of 33 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
if you are an individual with ego disregarding locals and something goes wrong then you better be ready to get your ass kicked down at the BC.

So threatening their lives, pelting them with rocks, and holding hostages corralled in their tent becomes synonomous with "ass kicked off the mountain." :)

Stir the pot.

dynosore

May 2, 2013, 3:02 PM
Post #31 of 33 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ObviousTroll] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"The lead fixing Sherpa spoke with one of the 3 climbers at which point physical contact was made, at that point Simone came in verbal contact with a number of the fixing team who had now congregated at one of the anchors to secure themselves from sliding down the face.

Simone began to shout, many of the words in Nepali language, and many of the words were inflammatory. At this point the fixing team made the correct decision to drop their loads of rope and hardware, attaching them to the installed line, and descend without any further interaction or confrontation with the 3 climbers. The fixing team descended to camp 2 and went to their respective camps as a number of expedition teams work together to fix the route on Mt. Everest. As the fixing team descended to camp 2, Simone radioed down requesting to know what the Sherpa were talking about. At one point Simone stated over open radio frequency (fixing frequency-tuned in by all the fixing teams and anyone listening on the mountain) that if the Sherpa had a problem he could come down to Camp 2 soon and “f—ing fight”. "

This big mouth shoved one of the sherpas while they were trying to do their job, cussed them out, and challenged them to a fight (if this account is correct).

Don't start something you can't finish. Having been to Nepal and interacted with sherpas, I tend to believe this account. They are kind and humble people.

majid_sabet

May 3, 2013, 3:39 AM
Post #32 of 33 (3483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

well this whole thing reminds me as this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D7rWLzloOI

kpb

May 3, 2013, 4:00 PM
Post #33 of 33 (3444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
This big mouth shoved one of the sherpas while they were trying to do their job, cussed them out, and challenged them to a fight (if this account is correct).

Don't start something you can't finish. Having been to Nepal and interacted with sherpas, I tend to believe this account. They are kind and humble people.

Also, according to this account, the Sherpas formed a large vicious mob threatening murder. Doesn't sound kind or humble. No one is reporting a one on one fight between a couple of over heated guys.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook