RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

petsfed

May 3, 2013, 4:05 PM
Post #1 of 9 (8431 views)
Shortcut

Topstepping with traditional aid gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That is, tree-style aider, stitched daisy chain, and simple (e.g. non-adjustable) fifi hook.

I was practicing last night, and found that I couldn't get to my top step without moving the fifi *down* from the top pocket on my daisies. Am I just unwilling to accept the reality of the situation, or is there something I'm missing?

I was still consistently getting into the second step, and I feel like I've got the sequence dialed, I'm just trying to go a little bit further with my placements.

ecade

May 3, 2013, 4:13 PM
Post #2 of 9 (8422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Topstepping with traditional aid gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How long is your fifi hook sling/webbing?

I'm new to Aid but perhaps that might be the answer. if its too long its an issue (falls out from not being tensioned), too short and I wonder if you get the situatino below.

Ah goldilocks... there is a reason that's a story for the ages...

and i could be entirely wrong and have misunderstood what you wrote, I've done about a week of aiding so i'm by no means proficient

csproul

May 3, 2013, 4:25 PM
Post #3 of 9 (8410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing wrong with clipping your fifi lower or just lengthening it out (or us a short quickdraw) if it'll help you stand tall in your top step. I think it's all about getting the length right to tension in opposition between your feet pushing down in the top steps and pulling up on you fifi. Are you tall? I don't have to lengthen my fifi, but I'm pretty short.

petsfed

May 3, 2013, 4:26 PM
Post #4 of 9 (8410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I'm in my second step, my fifi's at full extension (both daisy and fifi are girthed to my belay loop). I'm a pretty tall guy, so I wonder if that's part of it. I'm really wondering if I should mark the appropriate loop that allows me to topstep when fifi'd to it, rather than the up-down guess-and-check garbage that I considered, but ultimately rejected.

I'll post up a picture today after work to further explain.

edge

May 3, 2013, 5:16 PM
Post #5 of 9 (8388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm understanding you right, you can do two things:
A) Put a second daisy on the correct daisy loop for top stepping; in a pinch certain cliffhangers will work, particularly for the fifi closest to the harness. The downside of this is the extra fish hook that will hook on other gear when you least want it to.
B) Mark the "top stepping" loop on your daisy with some red tape or something so that you can instantly see and move the fifi to the correct spot. The downside of this is the chance of dropping the fifi.

csproul

May 3, 2013, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 9 (8369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Topstepping with traditional aid gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
If I'm understanding you right, you can do two things:
A) Put a second daisy on the correct daisy loop for top stepping; in a pinch certain cliffhangers will work, particularly for the fifi closest to the harness. The downside of this is the extra fish hook that will hook on other gear when you least want it to.
B) Mark the "top stepping" loop on your daisy with some red tape or something so that you can instantly see and move the fifi to the correct spot. The downside of this is the chance of dropping the fifi.
Why would you drop the fifi? It's still girthed to your harness, you're just hooking it onto an daisy loop instead of into the piece directly. Are you talking about girthing the fifi to a daisy loop? Not necessary, keep it on your harness (or belay loop) and hook it to a daisy loop instead of the gear, gaining you a little extra length.

BTW, I find a regular old quickdraw (in place of a fifi) to work well for topstepping. It's longer than my fifi and allows me to stnad straight up (learned that from one of Chris Mac's videos). The downside is clipping and unclipping it with all that mess.

Partner cracklover

May 3, 2013, 7:02 PM
Post #7 of 9 (8353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
That is, tree-style aider, stitched daisy chain, and simple (e.g. non-adjustable) fifi hook.

I was practicing last night, and found that I couldn't get to my top step without moving the fifi *down* from the top pocket on my daisies. Am I just unwilling to accept the reality of the situation, or is there something I'm missing?

Something you're missing? I don't think so. When you get your hips above your last piece, you need a longer attachment. How else could you possibly move higher?

Why do you ask? Is there a problem you're running into while doing this?

In reply to:
I was still consistently getting into the second step, and I feel like I've got the sequence dialed, I'm just trying to go a little bit further with my placements.

Absolutely, and I think you've discovered the solution.

GO

moose_droppings

May 3, 2013, 9:59 PM
Post #8 of 9 (8320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your going to be top stepping a lot, one piece after another, I'd go with a quick draw clipped to my belay loop and the daisy girth hitched to my harness. Some times if you've got a nubbin to hold yourself into the wall you can slouch in your second step enough to unhook and rehook for the top step.

Just in case....
Your not saying your daisy is to short are you? Fish has a longer one if that's the problem. You might also want to try an adjustable daisy if money ain't a problem, maybe some ladder aiders too if you do enough to warrant them.

shimanilami

May 4, 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #9 of 9 (8307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're not hammering, then it's easier to just hold onto the daisy with your free hand and tension it that way.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook