RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rocknice2

May 15, 2013, 8:37 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Usable Range C3 X4 C4 & Aliens
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So I took some time and compiled a chart of all the cams I own to see if there is a weak spot over redundancy. This is a compilation of
C3's 000-2
X4's .1-.75
C4's .3-6
Fixe Aliens 3/8-1

I started the chart with dimensions provided by the manufactures but then decided to actually measure my cams in our QC room. I took measurements when the cams were as fully closed as i could get them and at full open.

The charts range is minimum 5% open and maximum 65% open.

One thing I need to mention is after measuring the cams. I discovered that the Aliens were not close to their stated min or max measurements. The amount off was anywhere from .030" - .100" off.
All the BD cams were within .010" of their stated min/max.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on May 15, 2013, 8:38 AM)
Attachments: untitled.JPG (74.1 KB)

billcoe_

May 15, 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Usable Range C3 X4 C4 & Aliens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
So I took some time and compiled a chart of all the cams I own to see if there is a weak spot over redundancy. This is a compilation of
C3's 000-2
X4's .1-.75
C4's .3-6
Fixe Aliens 3/8-1

I started the chart with dimensions provided by the manufactures but then decided to actually measure my cams in our QC room. I took measurements when the cams were as fully closed as i could get them and at full open.

The charts range is minimum 5% open and maximum 65% open.

One thing I need to mention is after measuring the cams. I discovered that the Aliens were not close to their stated min or max measurements. The amount off was anywhere from .030" - .100" off.
All the BD cams were within .010" of their stated min/max.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=6540;[/image]

Interesting, but it's hard to read the chart in the small ranges.

Partner rgold

May 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Usable Range C3 X4 C4 & Aliens [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks; it is nice to see a comparison of practical operating ranges rather than the useless max's and min's. (And no, the chart isn't at all hard to read if you click on the image and view the .jpg in a separate window.)

The most interesting thing for me is the options for filling the gaps in C3 sizes. I've found the most critical gap to be between C3/1 and C3/2. Up until now, that gap had to be bridged by the green Alien, but the chart indicates the X.3 will do a slightly better job (although the marginal increase in range is not the point).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$26.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook