Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
What is there to do in Western New York?!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

fskie

May 6, 2013, 5:31 PM
Post #1 of 2 (303 views)
Shortcut

What is there to do in Western New York?!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I'm a Western New Yorker, and the only climbing spots nearby are the Niagara Climbing Center (~30 min away from home), and they will be opening Silo City Rocks (a record setting new gym, opening in End of June-Mid July).

Is there anything else to do climbing-wise around here? I've heard about Little Rock City which is a little bit northeast of Alleghany, and I've also heard of Thunder Rocks. Any suggestions?

climbinANF

May 15, 2013, 1:10 PM
Post #2 of 2 (208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fskie] What is there to do in Western New York?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Niagara Glen, over the border in Canada. It's good.

About two hours south of Buffalo in the Allegheny National Forest (in PA) there's good, climbable rock. Rim Rock is a good place to start. It's easy to find and the rock is apparent. The boulders downhill from the cliff line are generally better quality than the cliff itself so bring a pad or two and leave the rope and rack at home. That said, the cliffs are climbable, but so are alot of things.

There's some other rock around the ANF too, nothing quite as convenient and easy to find with as good of rock as Rim Rock. I haven't heard great things about the rock in western New York, but I haven't been up there to look around. I do know that the rock in Northwestern PA varies from crap covered in moss to very good, so I'd assume that maybe the same exists up there if you can find it.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook