RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

JDubs

May 20, 2013, 6:13 AM
Post #1 of 3 (554 views)
Shortcut

Input for New Venture Idea
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to hear some input from all of you regarding an idea I have for a school project. I am getting my MBA and this semester's assignment is to come up with a new venture (just a school project, not in real life). I love rock climbing and wanted to do something in that space. My original idea was some sort of a dynamic rock climbing wall for indoor gyms.

My thought was to develop a rock wall that is able to physically change based on input from the user. If a beginner wants to climb this wall, they input (through an app or GUI of some sort) a 5.7 route. Once they're done with the wall, a more experienced climber can select a 5.12 route, and so on. Some routes would be tagged as being pumpy, technical, etc. so climbers can focus on whatever it is they want to practice. To me, the appeal of this is two-fold: multiple climbers can climb one area of the wall; and I can always select a route based on what I am trying to work on. Sometimes it's frustrating when I go to climb one day and the project I'm working on has been reset. It's also frustrating when the gym is limited to a certain amount of routes that I am able to climb.

I know it might be hard to contribute to this while not knowing exactly how the mechanics of it would work. Hopefully you can imagine this wall without dwelling on how it would work. The design is a part of the project, but to start out, we would like to get a feel for this idea before going further with the design. If we decide to go with this concept, maybe I'll create another thread with details about the design and spark another conversation about that.

My group is discussing this idea with gym owners right now. I also wanted to run it by some climbers to see how they felt about it. I figured I'd post here and hopefully have a lively discussion about it rather than having you fill out a survey.

I am not posting this in the Indoor Climbing Gym area because I want input from outdoor climbers as well. Why don't you climb indoors? I want to focus this project on making indoor gyms more appealing to all climbers, so your insight might help.

Thank you so much!
JDubs

amarius

May 20, 2013, 6:33 AM
Post #2 of 3 (545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JDubs] Input for New Venture Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As an idea this is awesome. I am quite sure this could be done, but not cheaply, especially if you are thinking about morphing holds. If you are thinking about route customization based on existing holds, this has been done - I believe someone is already selling LED holds. If you are thinking about prepackaged routes, take a look Moon Board

Anyways, if you do a search, you should be able to find a thread about laser illumination/tagging system. One of the things being promised was creation of new routes based on user input.

Dynamically reconfigurable wall surface is a cool idea as well, I believe there is a wall in South Korea that has panels operated by hydraulic jacks.

Being and MBA student you, obviously, have done your research, looked at the costs of this project, time to recoup investment, compared cost and benefits of this project to the cost and benefits of the conventional approach. Being a climbing enthusiast you also understand how different 5.12 route is from 5.7 route.
Looking forward to hearing more about this

Gculk

Jun 23, 2013, 7:54 PM
Post #3 of 3 (363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JDubs] Input for New Venture Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello!

I've a better way to achieve this same effect. Generally holds are put in along parallel bolt-holes. As such, it would be easy to have an array value of holds. Imagine a 2x2 wall (sort of silly, but for our purpose ok). Then, each hold is assigned properties. 'pumpy' 'crimpy' whatever.

Then, above the hold, is an LED saying whether the hold is in or out (on for in, off for out).

Once the wall's form (hold qualities) are plugged into the computer, then some software can use a routine to generate a route from that.

It would be relatively expensive - I'd imagine software and hardware and installation it would cost about 2-3 thousand dollars to retrofit a standard wall, plus the requirement to have an accessible computer for the wall.

All said though - for a busy gym - it could easily be worth it.

If you plan on actually making this happen, I wouldn't mind doing the software/hardware for it. For a stake in the project or a consulting fee of course. Smile

Pm me if you wanna chat more.

Best of luck,
Nathan

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook