RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

zchandran

Apr 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 4 (6587 views)
Shortcut

Lens changes while on the wall?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing for several years. Recently, I got tired of the limitations of my point and shoot, and bought a Nikon D7000 and a couple of lenses. My last good camera was a N8008, so it's been a while.

I'm trying to come up with a decent carrying rig before I head out to the crag. I've read about a gazillion threads but I'm still going in circles. I started with a Tamrac "box", with a rifle sling and 1/2" strap and buckles, but it swings all over the place. I then ordered a Lowepro Slingshot 102, it's a great bag and I'm using it for hiking but my camera won't fit in there while I have the 70-300 lens on it.

So a question for you guys who have done all this before - do you routinely change lenses while hanging in the harness? Since most of my shots will be single pitch, my idea was to have a bag that I could sling on during the approach, then I would pick the lens and mount it, then start climbing. With the Lowepro I'll have to swap out lenses while on the wall, even if I know in advance that every shot I take will be with the 70-300.

Any ideas are welcome,

Z.

jeepnphreak

May 22, 2013, 9:00 PM
Post #2 of 4 (6334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] Lens changes while on the wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont bother swaping out lens on the wall. Go get your self a 18-300mm and just pack that lense. If you think that you need tighter than hook up the 80-400mm and be done with it.
Both lenses are not real fast compared to something like a 70-200mm f2.8 but you can not beat the veritility of that kind of zoom power. Get the lighting and ISO set and you should be able to get very good photos.
Its not going to have the razer sharp immmage of a prime lens but the flexability is what will get the shot instead of monkying with multipal lenses.

squeaka

May 23, 2013, 1:38 AM
Post #3 of 4 (6313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] Lens changes while on the wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not much of a climber but i have been doing photography for over 30 years.
for simplicity sake a good zoom will work fine.
Your budget will determine HOW GOOD.
Ideally you want to aim for a 2.8 up to about 300mm, If you need anything longer than that, GET CLOSERWink.

if you can afford it make get an internal zoom mechanism. not the ones where the lens gets longer or shorter when you zoom in and out. These lenses will restrict the lens speed at the longer end.

Also set your ISO for 200-400 for unless you are on a very bright cloudless day.

(This post was edited by squeaka on May 23, 2013, 2:24 PM)

sonso45

May 23, 2013, 2:22 PM
Post #4 of 4 (6271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squeaka] Lens changes while on the wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Nikon D7000 and a prime lens. I usually try to shoot from above and get close to the spot I want to capture.

I am a climber that likes to share memories rather than a great photographer. I use the Lowepro and it has enough room for my rig; I try to change lens prior to the climb. I also try to capture multipitch and with a single lens, I still feel like I'm carrying a #6 Friend.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook