RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

azon_123

May 27, 2013, 8:44 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Help figure out if it's possible to make this rock face into a bouldering wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

My apologies if this sounds completely stupid. I work with an NGO that runs a village school in the mountains of Kashmir, India. There is this rock face that I'd like to attach climbing holds to, so that the kids could be introduced to rock climbing. It's too flat for them to climb it now. I've attached a photo of what the rock looks like. Could you please help? I could get a local carpenter to follow a set of instructions if possible.

Cheers

Azon
Attachments: rock.jpg (147 KB)

acorneau

May 27, 2013, 2:04 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azon_123] Help figure out if it's possible to make this rock face into a bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

azon_123 wrote:
Hello,

My apologies if this sounds completely stupid. I work with an NGO that runs a village school in the mountains of Kashmir, India. There is this rock face that I'd like to attach climbing holds to, so that the kids could be introduced to rock climbing. It's too flat for them to climb it now. I've attached a photo of what the rock looks like. Could you please help? I could get a local carpenter to follow a set of instructions if possible.

Cheers

Azon

It doesn't look like a great place for climbing, but if you're totally set on it...

You can get some adhesive (like Liquid Nails) and glue on some small flat rocks to the face. Be sure to prepare the surface of the main face and the "holds" by scrubbing the gluing surfaces with a wire brush to remove any loose dust/dirt, otherwise the adhesive won't hold very well.

If you want to be able to rearrange or clean the holds like in a climbing gym then you'll need to use concrete drop-in anchors and bolt-on climbing holds.

Most importantly; prepare the landing surface by making it as flat as possible and then adding some sort of padding (like bouldering crash pads). That pile of rubble looks like a broken ankle just waiting to happen.

There's so much more to consider in this kind of undertaking but at least that's a start.

Good luck.

majid_sabet

May 27, 2013, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azon_123] Help figure out if it's possible to make this rock face into a bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

azon_123 wrote:
Hello,

Cheers

Azon

why not hooking up with group gym climbers and let them come to Kashmir to set it up for you ?

send me a pm

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$292.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook