RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

el_forrest

May 9, 2013, 6:21 AM
Post #1 of 3 (6085 views)
Shortcut

Trango Cinch wear; Cinch modification
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Saludos (greetings) climbers:

Several years ago(in 2008), I wrote an email to Trango regarding some wear on the Cinch release lever and a home-made modification, looking for some feedback on the issue. I never received a reply, so I’ve re-send it to a different e-mail, and post it here to see if this issue has ever been addressed. Below is a copy of the original e-mail and attached are the photos of the modified Cinch. The modification was made to explore a way to reduce the wear and improve on a new design, but not as a permanent solution. Actually the metal tab eventually came off (in end of 2010), but it did improve the use (easier lowering on heavy loads) on the worn-out lever during the time it was set. Would greatly appreciate your feedback.

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: mwedding@gthi.com
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:22 AM
Subject: Cinch Modification

"To whom it might concern:

Greetings, my name is Eduardo Rivera. I'm a climber from Puerto Rico, mechanical engineering student and a satisfied costumer of some Trango products (quick draws, harness, Cinch). Regarding the Cinch, I've been using it for a while now (for me it's still the best device for feeding out rope when lead climbing) and notice some wear and deformation on the lever that can be prevented with a simple modification. When lowering a heavy load (say a +160 lb climber) the small silver tab of the lever plate presses against the plastic lever, causing it to slightly deform, eventually creating a "groove" that makes the lowering a little more difficult. I worked around this problem by modifying my Cinch and adding a small metal plate in the inside groove of the lever (slightly carved in and glued with a 2 Ton epoxy), thus reducing the wear on the lever and allowing for more control when lowering/ rappelling. Also, I think reducing the inside groove depth of the lever and making it less concave might also improve lever control and wear. I know that you guys improved the Cinch, but I'm not clear if those were some of the issues improved, so I just wanted to suggest this modification for your design, since is such a good product. Some feedback on this suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Att. Eduardo Rivera ''
Attachments: CinchModification sm (5).jpg (66.8 KB)
  CinchModification sm (6).jpg (68.5 KB)
  CinchModification sm (9).jpg (69.0 KB)
  CinchModification sm (11).jpg (75.3 KB)

maldaly

May 9, 2013, 3:51 PM
Post #2 of 3 (6012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_forrest] Trango Cinch wear; Cinch modification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hola Eduardo,

I am one of the designers and patent holders on the Cinch but I no longer own Trango and don't work there. You should contact asanders@gthi.com for this issue. He is the main climbing guy there and should be able to answer your questions and respond to your idea. It would be helpful to include a clear picture of the face of the Cinch so he can identify the date of manufacture and which version it is.

Climb safe,
Mal

Kinobi

May 27, 2013, 6:14 PM
Post #3 of 3 (5768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Trango Cinch wear; Cinch modification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ciao Mal,
it's the first version of Cinch. Before the "fatter" cam and with the "small/short handle.
Most of issues of the handle (not to say all of them) were solved. I guess also geometry of cam was changed since the unit of the photo.
E

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook