RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

jclimbs

Nov 26, 2008, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5101 views)
Shortcut

Boulderwoods, Adirondacks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've posted a Visual Tour of the Boulderwoods at http://www.mtnsideview.com/...s.php?id=bldrwoods08,
the bouldering area near the Crane Mountain Parking Lot. The idea being to help boulderers know which boulder they're at. The New Guidebook's map is excellent, but I thought some photos would be helpful.
Of course, it's snowing and cold here in the Adirondacks right now, but since I'm recuperating from a shoulder injury it was a good project to tackle. Keep it in mind for next season.

rhythm164

Nov 26, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jclimbs] Boulderwoods, Adirondacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty cool man, you should tackle Snowy next. Hope the shoulder heals up nice so you can crank next season.

cheers,
A

jclimbs

Nov 26, 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Boulderwoods, Adirondacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, the Snowy Mtn. Boulders! That's a good idea. I haven't been there for quite awhile, so maybe a trip back there next summer would be worthwhile. Attached is a photo from my last visit there.
I did go out to the sport climbing near the summit of snowy and posted an article on that trip:
http://www.mtnsideview.com/...es.php?id=snowymtn01. If you like the idea of hiking to a sport-climbing area, I highly recommend heading up there. Fantastic climbing, fantastic setting. Use the regular hiking trail, though. Forgo the "herd path" as it doesn't save much time if any.
Attachments: snowybldr01.jpg (101 KB)

rhythm164

Nov 27, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

soooooooo, the regular hiking trail as in the DEC trail, or the other one? Redneck on a Rope & Vertebrae are on my list next season for sure, any beta on a hassle free approach would be useful. Nice pic by the way. That place is great, you might know my buddy Buzz, he's the guy that did a fair bit of the development there.

(This post was edited by rhythm164 on Nov 27, 2008, 12:08 AM)

jclimbs

Nov 27, 2008, 2:18 AM
Post #5 of 8 (5003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Boulderwoods, Adirondacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The regular, official DEC Snowy Mtn. Hiking Trail. My recommendation: hike to the summit, stash your non-climbing gear and either walk down around or use double ropes to rap Redneck (don't do this the first time - walk around first so you will know exactly where to set up the rap in the future. It is pretty dangerous searching near the edge of that cliff on the summit!). We did Iditarod but I don't recommend that unless it is very, very dry - and even still, it is a scary lead. The bolts lie under snow & water and already look pretty rusty.
We didn't do Redneck - which is why I'll probably go back next year - but we did do Vertabrae, which was awesome.
I don't, unfortunately, know Buzz. If he lives up this way, let him know he can give my a shout any time he is coming down by Crane Mtn.

rhythm164

Nov 27, 2008, 2:40 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool, thanks for the beta. We get up that way quite a bit during prime season, usually with a pretty good crew. I'll let you know net time we head out, you never know, we might get that thaw before winter really hits...

JPMilkman

May 30, 2013, 6:32 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the Super necro bump of this thread. I'm heading to Lake George with some friends to do some camping tomorrow and planned on hiking Crane Mountain as I have before and it's a great hike. I've been bouldering for about a year now and that visual tour was awesome. Seems like a lot of V0-V1 stuff there though. I'm looking for some V3-V6 range stuff. Would I find that in the Boulderwoods? I would totally buy the guidebook but I'll only be at Crane one day and it won't be a full day since no one except me is there to boulder and I'm sure they won't want to watch me for more than an hour or so. Any chance someone could advise me to which boulders I would find problems graded V3-V6? I'd appreciate it and thanks again for that tour.

jclimbs

May 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JPMilkman] Boulderwoods, Adirondacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a fair number of V3 to V6 lines there, and a lot more awaiting someone with the ability to do them...
Try Chuck Norris Warmup first. As you look at that side of the first boulder, to your right is a tight cluster of boulders with a cave. There is a V6 located in the cave. Graduation Boulder has a very good V4 traverse. The Dinosaur Egg Group has a few V3s and a cave with a V10ish project.
The King boulder has a a V4 on its eastern side, and a highball V3 on its northern one.
Note that there are scads of undeveloped boulders awaiting exploration to the east along the East Path.
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook