Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Directions to Aid Box
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ewalk

Jun 11, 2013, 8:25 AM
Post #1 of 3 (685 views)
Shortcut

Directions to Aid Box  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: DC_Metro_-_North_Eastern: Great_Falls_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I am planning a trip within a month to go climbing here for the first time(I normally climb at the New or Red River). I was wondering what trails to take once I am in the park. I also read that the parking lot at Difficult Run Trail is closer to the climbs.

I have only been to the park once to sight see and primarily just looked at the falls. How much further down are the climbing areas?

edvictorious

Jun 11, 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #2 of 3 (661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ewalk] Directions to Aid Box [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think people use Difficult Run primarily to avoid having to pay to get into the park; that and the lines to get in can be pretty long if you don't show up early. I don't believe it's closer than parking in the park, but I've never taken that way.

Given that Aid Box is one of the first areas from the "climber's lot" in the park, I recommend you use that. It's been a while, but I think you'll just take the River Trail. Of course, Aid Box won't be labeled, so access to a guidebook would be helpful. The Mountaineering Section of the PATC has the best guide for Great Falls, but Eric Horst's VA/WV/MD book will work as well.

The "climber's lot" is found by taking a sharp right U-Turn after passing the ranger kiosk where you pay to get in (or show your pass). It's smaller, but a little closer than the main lot. However, it's not a very long walk between the two.

Worth noting since you mentioned you climb at the New and the Red: Great Falls is primarily top roping.

Some additional information: http://www.potomacmountainclub.org/content/view/97/109/

hyhuu

Jun 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #3 of 3 (647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ewalk] Directions to Aid Box [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like it'd been posted, just take river road downstream, the first access trail to the river on the left should take you to AidBox area. You can't miss it. Unless you have nothing else better to do and just want to check it out for the novelty then by all mean. But be warned that it's very hot and humid there in the summer and the rock can be real slick.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$80.60 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook