Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Amazon and climbing gear?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


Gdog42


Jun 10, 2013, 8:11 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1486 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 18, 2013
Posts: 30

Amazon and climbing gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've seen a few harnesses I'm interested in on amazon.com but couldn't get a straight answer on what their return policy is for safety equipment.

I've noticed that a lot of online stores have a return policy that does not allow any returns for harnesses because of safety and lawsuit possibilities that could result from reselling them to other customers (even if they are only tried on and not used).

I'm just worried about it not fitting. If it doesn't fit do they:
- Allow returns for harnesses?
- Cover return shipping?
- Anything else?

I've tried searching but haven't found anything for this type of product. I couldn't even find a bloody phone number to call them and ask. Unsure

I would really appreciate any info that anyone has on this.

Thanks in advance!


SE_climber


Jun 11, 2013, 5:42 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 2, 2013
Posts: 31

Re: [Gdog42] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is the harness actually sold directly from amazon or is it listed on amazon, but sold by another company (i.e. sold by Backcountry, fulfilled by Amazon)? When you select your size, you should see the seller listed above. Sellers can either follow amazon's returns policy (which doesn't appear to exclude safety equipment http://www.amazon.com/...amp;nodeId=201077750) or they can set their own returns policy. Click on the seller link to find out.


jp_sucks


Jun 11, 2013, 8:20 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 240

Re: [Gdog42] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stores like REI (www.rei.com) will accept returns on things like harnesses but if they get one returned, they destroy it. Huge waste but they want to offer a "100% satisfaction guarantee" and at the same time can't resell them for safety reasons.

You're better off to go to the nearest store and try the model(s) on so you know what size you need first.


redlude97


Jun 11, 2013, 8:55 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1368 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2008
Posts: 988

Re: [jp_sucks] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
Stores like REI (www.rei.com) will accept returns on things like harnesses but if they get one returned, they destroy it. Huge waste but they want to offer a "100% satisfaction guarantee" and at the same time can't resell them for safety reasons.

You're better off to go to the nearest store and try the model(s) on so you know what size you need first.
They can't resell but it usually isn't destroyed, an employee volunteers to "take care of it" Wink


potreroed


Jun 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2001
Posts: 1448

Re: [Gdog42] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The best way to buy a harness is to go to a real climbing shop and try on different models and actually hang in them for a spell.


Gdog42


Jun 11, 2013, 6:56 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 18, 2013
Posts: 30

Re: [SE_climber] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

SE_climber wrote:
Is the harness actually sold directly from amazon or is it listed on amazon, but sold by another company (i.e. sold by Backcountry, fulfilled by Amazon)? When you select your size, you should see the seller listed above. Sellers can either follow amazon's returns policy (which doesn't appear to exclude safety equipment http://www.amazon.com/...amp;nodeId=201077750) or they can set their own returns policy. Click on the seller link to find out.

Ok, thanks. I selected my size and it came up with Summit Hut.
http://www.summithut.com/...mer-service/returns/

They allow returns on climbing harnesses, although I would have to pay. Oh well.

For the other replies, I can't try this one on in a store because I've never been able to find a store that sells Mammut harnesses.
This is the harness by the way:
http://www.amazon.com/...-Click/dp/B00CEQ79AM

There are very few online stores that even sell this particular one. Not sure why that is. Unimpressed


JupitersCock


Jun 13, 2013, 8:40 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 6

Re: [Gdog42] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

don't know what amazons policy is but i have returned a harness that did not fit to backcountry.com without any problems. as long as you have not hung in it they will take it back


Gdog42


Jun 13, 2013, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 18, 2013
Posts: 30

Re: [JupitersCock] Amazon and climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JupitersCock wrote:
don't know what amazons policy is but i have returned a harness that did not fit to backcountry.com without any problems. as long as you have not hung in it they will take it back

Actually that's Backcountry Gear's return policy; Backcountry.com has an unlimited return policy and they'll let you return even if you've hund in the harneess. I've already done it a couple of times. They are awesome. Wink


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook