Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Directions to Farley parking lot
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

midtempo

Jun 13, 2013, 9:37 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Directions to Farley parking lot  (North_America: United_States: Massachusetts: _Western__Mass: Farley_Ledge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This page doesn't even post how to park to Farley Ledges and does not even give directions how to get there, despite it being available on WMCC's website at http://www.climbgneiss.org/index.php/farley-ledges for anyone to see. Why not post at least directions to the parking lots? I can simply copy and paste their directions.

If the landowner (the electric company, apparently) did not want this posting of public information, they would have told WMCC to take down their info page on Farley.

ajc153

Jun 13, 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [midtempo] Directions to Farley parking lot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

midtempo wrote:
This page doesn't even post how to park to Farley Ledges and does not even give directions how to get there, despite it being available on WMCC's website at http://www.climbgneiss.org/index.php/farley-ledges for anyone to see. Why not post at least directions to the parking lots? I can simply copy and paste their directions.

If the landowner (the electric company, apparently) did not want this posting of public information, they would have told WMCC to take down their info page on Farley.

Under the paragraph titled "Parking" it describes in detail where the lots are.

I google mapped Holmes Ave in Farley Ma and followed route 2 west until I came across the parking lot on the right.

If you find the parking lot directions difficult, you may not like the fact there are no route descriptions or grades published.

The relationship with the private land owner and WMCC has take time and effort to develop. The crag is awesome and is on the scale of a Rumney.

Feel few to join and or donate money to the WMCC.

midtempo

Jun 13, 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajc153] Directions to Farley parking lot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was talking about the Farley Ledges page on Rockclimbing.com, NOT the directions on WMCC's website on Farley Ledges. Yes, the information is there, although nowhere do I see mention of which town Farley Ledges are in. Holmes Ave in what town exactly? Is this a Big Secret?

Are we intending on leaving the directions to the parking lot on WMCC's website only and not to post the directions on Rockclimbing.com?

It's not that I don't know the answers to these questions. I have been to Farley once and I love it, and know how to get there. It's that I noticed the following wrong information and feel compelled to change it but cannot:

In reply to:
Directions: Due to access issues regarding crossing private land, there is currently no legal "public access" to Farley ledge (sans helicopter).

This contradicts what is on WMCC's own website, which is the "official" page of Farley Ledges climbing if there ever were one. And wrong information bothers me more than missing information.

(This post was edited by midtempo on Jun 13, 2013, 11:59 AM)

olderic

Jun 13, 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are concerened about wrong information on rockclimbing.com.....

midtempo

Jun 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Directions to Farley parking lot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes you certainly do have a point. I wanted to correct the wrong information on the Farley page but the ability to do so for this page is not enabled for some reason.

olderic

Jun 13, 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Even if you could I think you are fighting a losing battle. Maintaining accurate route/problem information is best done by a group of locals who really are in tune with what is going on. Trying to do it on some vast anoymous server Wikipedia style with all related admin issues is never going to work as well as it being done by whatever local individual, group or club knons the local ins and outs.

Even if you don't totally buy that argument there is also the fact that the all comprehensive climbing data base is already being done better by SummitPost and MountainProject - why bother fixing something that is loosing anyway?

midtempo

Jun 13, 2013, 1:15 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Directions to Farley parking lot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought of Rockclimbing.com and Mountainproject.com as equals in the route info department. I didn't know that Mountainproject.com is now considered more accurate or comprehensive than rockclimbing.com. I'll have to remember that.

And I never even heard of SummitPost so I'll have to check that one out.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook