Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Shoulder Injury
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

 


lkeegan


Jun 10, 2013, 8:53 PM
Post #1 of 22 (5880 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 13, 2009
Posts: 54

Shoulder Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hurt my shoulder doing a whitewater roll (kayaking) and I haven't gone to the doctor yet but I plan to. I hurt it starting the roll and it felt like something pulled in my shoulder.

It now hurts to push off of things (like from lying down to sit up).

Has anyone had this problem before?


granite_grrl


Jun 11, 2013, 8:07 AM
Post #2 of 22 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14902

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I strained one of the rotator cuff muscles in shoulder a couple of years ago. Fortunatly it was only aggravated in certain positions when climbing, just when pushing at certain angles.

I had my chiropractor diagnose it for me on account that I haven't found my GP very useful when it comes diagnosing soft tissue stuff.


jp_sucks


Jun 11, 2013, 8:16 AM
Post #3 of 22 (5830 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 240

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You should definitely get it checked out. Ask your GP to refer you to a "sports medicine specialist doctor". If he thinks it's serious enough, he can refer you on to an Orthopedic surgeon.

You'll probably need an MRI to fully diagnose it but they don't work all the time either.

A third option is to go see a good physiotherapist who has a lot of experience in shoulder injuries.

All of these things take time as you'll probably end up on long waiting lists so get in there now and get the process started.


lkeegan


Jun 11, 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #4 of 22 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 13, 2009
Posts: 54

Re: [jp_sucks] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The plan is to go to physio and through my university, I can usually get in in a day or two. But I've had the suckiest week ever, I hurt my shoulder on Saturday and came down with the flu on Sunday. So I'm currently lying in bed feeling miserable and having a hard time rolling over cause my shoulder hurts.

In the mean time, I had my boyfriend who is a kinesiologist look at it, and he said I likely strained a muscle (he named the muscle but I forgot it, I'm only 50% alive right now)

I was just wondering if anyone had similar experiences and how it affected your climbing because I know shoulders are pretty delicate and once injured seem to be the easiest to re-injure.


(This post was edited by lkeegan on Jun 11, 2013, 10:54 AM)


onceahardman


Jun 11, 2013, 2:18 PM
Post #5 of 22 (5786 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lkeegan wrote:
In the mean time, I had my boyfriend who is a kinesiologist look at it, and he said I likely strained a muscle (he named the muscle but I forgot it, I'm only 50% alive right now)

My guess...Supraspinatus.


Learn how to strengthen your rotator cuffs. Continue doing it forever to avoid re-injury.


ChaseLeoncini


Jun 12, 2013, 9:59 PM
Post #6 of 22 (5726 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 6, 2013
Posts: 33

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

About a week ago i really hurt my shoulder belaying a follower from an atc guide.
I had full range of motion just hurt to apply pressure. The pain really came from the tip of my shoulder. I thought it was bursitis or impingment syndrome but after the doc had a look it is mere bicep tendonitis. Thank God!
You may just have that. Get it looked at and dont move it until he says. Not even stretches.
From talking to other people who have had more serious injuries/rotator cuff problems, many have said that after surgery, ot was like brand new. So dont be too afraid if it did come to that. I wish you the best of luck and hope it is something minor.


lkeegan


Jun 12, 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #7 of 22 (5722 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 13, 2009
Posts: 54

Re: [ChaseLeoncini] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
About a week ago i really hurt my shoulder belaying a follower from an atc guide.
I had full range of motion just hurt to apply pressure. The pain really came from the tip of my shoulder. I thought it was bursitis or impingment syndrome but after the doc had a look it is mere bicep tendonitis. Thank God!
You may just have that. Get it looked at and dont move it until he says. Not even stretches.
From talking to other people who have had more serious injuries/rotator cuff problems, many have said that after surgery, ot was like brand new. So dont be too afraid if it did come to that. I wish you the best of luck and hope it is something minor.

Woah. Okay, mine is not that bad. After a week of lying in bead coughing my lungs out (and expelling this virus in other ways) My shoulder is nearly better. There is very little pain at all. I think I'm just going to watch it and if it hurts in a day or two go to the doctor, if not, I'm just going to be REALLY careful kayaking in the future.


Thanks guys for you help!


ChaseLeoncini


Jun 12, 2013, 10:53 PM
Post #8 of 22 (5718 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 6, 2013
Posts: 33

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, just some friendly advice, if the pain is gone in two days it may not mean it has healed, just the swelling has gone. I'd wait at least a week after pain subsides before climbing again. Whatever you choose to do, again, good luck.


lkeegan


Jun 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #9 of 22 (5684 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 13, 2009
Posts: 54

Re: [ChaseLeoncini] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks :)

I do have a problem with pushing myself too soon after an injury, but I'm not sure how to go to the doctor and say "my shoulder did hurt when I did this, but now it doesn't".

I'll be careful with it!


benjaminlh


Jun 15, 2013, 1:04 PM
Post #10 of 22 (5601 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 9, 2013
Posts: 7

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

80% of shoulder injuries can be "cured" from doing this excercise http://www.bodybuilding.com/...me/seated-cable-rows Or excercises like that. If you do it every day theres a chance to fix it.


onceahardman


Jun 15, 2013, 7:38 PM
Post #11 of 22 (5588 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [benjaminlh] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

benjaminlh wrote:
80% of shoulder injuries can be "cured" from doing this excercise http://www.bodybuilding.com/...me/seated-cable-rows Or excercises like that. If you do it every day theres a chance to fix it.

Oh, my.

An 80% "cure" rate from shoulder injuries? By doing seated cable rows? What, exactly, do you mean by "exercises like that?"

Can you supply evidence regarding you claim? No, you cannot.

I'm not saying seated cable rows are a bad exercise. They are not. But they are an adjunct to a comprehensive rotator cuff program.


ChaseLeoncini


Jun 15, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #12 of 22 (5583 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 6, 2013
Posts: 33

Re: [onceahardman] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
benjaminlh wrote:
80% of shoulder injuries can be "cured" from doing this excercise http://www.bodybuilding.com/...me/seated-cable-rows Or excercises like that. If you do it every day theres a chance to fix it.

Oh, my.

An 80% "cure" rate from shoulder injuries? By doing seated cable rows? What, exactly, do you mean by "exercises like that?"

Can you supply evidence regarding you claim? No, you cannot.

I'm not saying seated cable rows are a bad exercise. They are not. But they are an adjunct to a comprehensive rotator cuff program.


+1


benjaminlh


Jun 15, 2013, 11:38 PM
Post #13 of 22 (5565 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 9, 2013
Posts: 7

Re: [onceahardman] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sry to make you feel that way, just trying to help. I just happened to have a shoulder injury myself.

The reason to do this is to strengthen the muscles in the back connected to the shoulder. This will stabilize the natural position of your shoulder so that it wont be damaged as easily.

It worked for me. And hey, it's just advice. You can do whatever you want. Try it if you want to, otherwise go see a physiotherapist.


onceahardman


Jun 16, 2013, 5:28 AM
Post #14 of 22 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [benjaminlh] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

benjaminlh wrote:
Sry to make you feel that way, just trying to help. I just happened to have a shoulder injury myself.

The reason to do this is to strengthen the muscles in the back connected to the shoulder. This will stabilize the natural position of your shoulder so that it wont be damaged as easily.

It worked for me. And hey, it's just advice. You can do whatever you want. Try it if you want to, otherwise go see a physiotherapist.


You didn't make me "feel" any particular way. You made a silly 80% claim for which no evidence exists, and I called you on it.

I'm glad your shoulder got better. But that good news does not make that exercise 80% effective.

I already am a PT. I wish your claim was true. My job would be greatly simplified.

Edit: seated cable rows could help correct a muscle imbalance in which the anterior muscles (Pec major/minor, Serratus anterior) are overly strong, like in a bodybuilder who benches too much. Not so much in a climber, most of whom already have strong backs from pulling and stabilizing on overhanging terrain.

Please tell me, what is the "natural position of the shoulder"?


(This post was edited by onceahardman on Jun 16, 2013, 8:36 AM)


benjaminlh


Jun 16, 2013, 2:25 PM
Post #15 of 22 (5512 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 9, 2013
Posts: 7

Re: [onceahardman] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am so sorry sir. Didn't mean to make a huge deal out of it. I was just trying to help.


jonapprill


Jun 16, 2013, 3:57 PM
Post #16 of 22 (5503 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Posts: 41

Re: [onceahardman] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Not so much in a climber, most of whom already have strong backs from pulling and stabilizing on overhanging terrain.

I've actually found that MANY climbers do not stabilize on overhanging terrain. Instead they maintain a sustained protracted position and have very weak scapular stabilizers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953287/


onceahardman


Jun 16, 2013, 7:02 PM
Post #17 of 22 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [jonapprill] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jonapprill wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
Not so much in a climber, most of whom already have strong backs from pulling and stabilizing on overhanging terrain.

I've actually found that MANY climbers do not stabilize on overhanging terrain. Instead they maintain a sustained protracted position and have very weak scapular stabilizers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2953287/

Clicky.

Thanks, it was interesting and the lead author is a sometime contributor here.

I'll point out that the muscles strengthened by seated cable rows are really not lower traps and serratus anterior, which are the weak muscles identified in the study.

Also, there is no mention in the study regarding whether the measurers were blinded to whether the subject was a climber or not. If not, confirmation bias is a serious concern in the study.

Thanks though.


(This post was edited by onceahardman on Jun 16, 2013, 7:18 PM)


amarius


Jun 17, 2013, 5:03 AM
Post #18 of 22 (5443 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 23, 2012
Posts: 122

Re: [onceahardman] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not bad.
I wish authors looked at one more specialized group that does quite a bit of hanging, but should be better balanced, e.g. male/female gymnasts

I was a little amused by the sample group of climbers - average of 8.4 years of climbing, and standard deviation of 7.2 years.

I am really disappointed that no effort was made to evaluate strength of the involved muscles, but, I suspect, this study was carried on to satisfy some sort of academic research/degree requirement.


onceahardman


Jun 17, 2013, 1:40 PM
Post #19 of 22 (5395 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [amarius] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

amarius wrote:


I am really disappointed that no effort was made to evaluate strength of the involved muscles, but, I suspect, this study was carried on to satisfy some sort of academic research/degree requirement.

This is another good point. The study assessed scapulohumeral rhythm. It did not test strength. So the paper purports to show that climbers have different scapulohumeral rhythm than non climbers, not necessarily that they have weak scapular stabilizers.

Similar differences are well-categorized in other sports, like tennis, swimming, and in throwing athletes, like pitchers and quarterbacks. Overhead athletes have different SHR, but not necessarily weakness.


carolyntran29


Jun 28, 2013, 2:48 PM
Post #20 of 22 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 28, 2013
Posts: 6

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Focus on muscle, shoulder strengthening exercises that will help you avoid re-injury in the future. You can find them via Google or Youtube/Vimeo video.

Another step you can take is using BFST treatments to condition your shoulder to adopt a higher level of blood circulation to help strengthen it and help it recover much faster. http://www.kingbrand.com/Rotator_Cuff_Treatment.php?REF=33PV5

The combination of shoulder stretches/exercises and increasing blood circulation will help build endurance, strength and minimize recovery time because your should will be more effective in dealing with minor problems from reoccurring.


lkeegan


Jul 2, 2013, 9:38 AM
Post #21 of 22 (5123 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 13, 2009
Posts: 54

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw a friend who is a phyiso and apparently its a nerve impingement.

Thanks all for your input!


markspend01


Oct 4, 2013, 9:36 AM
Post #22 of 22 (4163 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 2, 2013
Posts: 3

Re: [lkeegan] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Guys well i think that Shoulder area are the most portable joint parts in your body.To stay in a constant or normal position, the shoulder must be attached by muscle tissue, muscle and structures.Thanks!!
In reply to:


Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook