Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cmn003

Jun 16, 2013, 8:37 PM
Post #1 of 36 (10926 views)
Shortcut

What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there a different term for sport climbing when the quickdraws have already been placed on the first lead? (Similar to how finishing the climbs is considered a redpoint and a pinkpoint, respectively)

Or maybe I'm missing some terminology understand here, help me out :)

Thanks guys!

dagibbs

Jun 16, 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #2 of 36 (10903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmn003] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally speaking, no.

csproul

Jun 17, 2013, 2:06 PM
Post #3 of 36 (10745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmn003] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cmn003 wrote:
Is there a different term for sport climbing when the quickdraws have already been placed on the first lead? (Similar to how finishing the climbs is considered a redpoint and a pinkpoint, respectively)

Thanks guys!
Climbing with the draws already hung was originally called a pink-point...but this term is largely gone the way of the dinosaur, and the few that still use the term are headed that way soon.

dagibbs

Jun 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Post #4 of 36 (10616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
cmn003 wrote:

Thanks guys!
Climbing with the draws already hung was originally called a pink-point...but this term is largely gone the way of the dinosaur, and the few that still use the term are headed that way soon.

I always thought a pink point was climbing a gear route with the gear pre-placed. That would make a lot more difference than pre-hung draws on a sport route.

kennoyce

Jun 18, 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #5 of 36 (10548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
csproul wrote:
cmn003 wrote:

Thanks guys!

I always thought a pink point was climbing a gear route with the gear pre-placed. That would make a lot more difference than pre-hung draws on a sport route.

That is also correct, but in the context of sport climbing, back in the day, pink point was also used to denote pre-hung draws. Today, most people realize that since you didn't place the bolt on lead, it makes no difference if the draw is pre-hung or not.

Partner cracklover

Jun 18, 2013, 5:06 PM
Post #6 of 36 (10502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
csproul wrote:
cmn003 wrote:

Thanks guys!

That is also correct, but in the context of sport climbing, back in the day, pink point was also used to denote pre-hung draws. Today, most people realize that since you didn't place the bolt on lead, it makes no difference if the draw is pre-hung or not.

Actually, no. Most short climbers know it often *does* make a difference whether the bolts are clipped or not. It's simply that a redpoint has been re-defined to include the (optimal length) draws as part of the "fixed" gear.

GO

kennoyce

Jun 18, 2013, 5:12 PM
Post #7 of 36 (10494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
kennoyce wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
csproul wrote:
cmn003 wrote:

Thanks guys!

Actually, no. Most short climbers know it often *does* make a difference whether the bolts are clipped or not. It's simply that a redpoint has been re-defined to include the (optimal length) draws as part of the "fixed" gear.

GO

You're right Gabe, I guess I worded that wrong, what I meant to say is that since you didn't place the bolt on lead, you didn't place the protection on lead, so you don't have to place the draw to get the redpoint. Having the right length draw pre-hung can certainly make the clip much easier, even for us non-short climbers.

jomagam

Jun 18, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #8 of 36 (10491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

+1. It also makes a difference on overhanging routes with not great clipping positions. You're hanging on one hand for an extra couple of seconds with every clip if you have to place the draw.

Fred20

Jun 18, 2013, 6:04 PM
Post #9 of 36 (10472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

i think the term is DIFFICULT!...weee

but seriously, obviously it is more difficult to place the quickdraws and then clip (as stated above), than to simply clip a draw that's already been placed.

I don't get caught up in stupid terms for it though. A funny example was a friend stick clipped the first bolt on a climb that had a sketchy first clip, another person climbing with us busted his balls about it being red or pink or "copper"...and the hypocrit could barely climb the route and was grabbing dog bones, grant it...he mostly does trad I guess.

Was funny to hear the "discussion" about what they wanted to call the climb that he used the stick on though...

A pre-set route of draws can definitely be the difference to sending though, especially for the shorter folks out there that can have some great difficulty reaching the bolts.

Of course, I'm not all that into the grading's either, some folks are, I climb cause it's fun! Wink

mojomonkey

Jun 19, 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #10 of 36 (10404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fred20] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fred20 wrote:
Of course, I'm not all that into the grading's either, some folks are, I climb cause it's fun! Wink

You probably don't even own a TV.

csproul

Jun 19, 2013, 1:57 PM
Post #11 of 36 (10380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
kennoyce wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
csproul wrote:
cmn003 wrote:

Thanks guys!

GO
^^This is correct. Of course clipping draws does make sport climbing harder, but who cares? Sport climbing is intended to make climbing harder, not clipping. Back when Angry was on here, used to say that climbing while squeezing a quarter between your ass cheeks would make sport climbing harder too...but who cares!

Fred20

Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 PM
Post #12 of 36 (10367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll bite...

i will say it is pretty annoying to hear people talk about whether a route is a 5.10 a/b/c/d ...climb the fvcking thing or don't, the grades are good to a point, but are pretty subjective IMO... some moves are easier to some people and more difficult to others

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

marc801

Jun 19, 2013, 2:54 PM
Post #13 of 36 (10360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fred20] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fred20 wrote:
I'll bite...

i will say it is pretty annoying to hear people talk about whether a route is a 5.10 a/b/c/d ...climb the fvcking thing or don't, the grades are good to a point, but are pretty subjective IMO... some moves are easier to some people and more difficult to others

Thank you so much for this startling revelation that has never ever been mentioned before. Grades are a consensus rating. You don't get consensus unless you talk about grades.

Fred20

Jun 19, 2013, 3:18 PM
Post #14 of 36 (10355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you're very welcome!

(This post was edited by Fred20 on Jun 19, 2013, 3:19 PM)

Fred20

Jun 19, 2013, 3:26 PM
Post #15 of 36 (10348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome comment, i'm going to be sure to bring quarters for everyone on my next trip!!!

jt512

Jun 19, 2013, 5:29 PM
Post #16 of 36 (10323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
You don't get consensus unless you talk about grades.

Whenever did talking about a grade lead to consensus?

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 19, 2013, 5:30 PM)

marc801

Jun 19, 2013, 5:49 PM
Post #17 of 36 (10310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Never said that it would lead to consensus, but consensus is impossible without talking about it.

Partner cracklover

Jun 19, 2013, 7:51 PM
Post #18 of 36 (10277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

When? On every FA I've ever done, and also on lots of climbs where I've been an early ascent on FA's that friends of mine have done.

GO

lkeegan

Jun 19, 2013, 8:10 PM
Post #19 of 36 (10270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

When? On every FA I've ever done, and also on lots of climbs where I've been an early ascent on FA's that friends of mine have done.

GO

I glanced at your post without reading the quotes and thought you were talking about putting a quarter between your ass cheeks on every FA you've ever done. That would be far more note worthy than talking to your friends about what you think the grade is.

jt512

Jun 20, 2013, 2:59 AM
Post #20 of 36 (10207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

GO

So if I go and climb all your routes, I'm going to agree on every rating?

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 20, 2013, 3:00 AM)

csproul

Jun 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #21 of 36 (10156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

GO

Only if you talk about it.

Partner cracklover

Jun 20, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #22 of 36 (10113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

GO

No offense, but you are not required to build a consensus. Tongue

However by discussing the grade with your group of partners, you may very well reach your own consensus. Over time, if enough such groups reach a larger consensus, and there is significant difference between the larger consensus and the original grade, the grade may change. So don't feel bad about being left out.

And, actually, full disclosure requires me to mention: There is one route - it was one of my first - where I did not do this. The guidebook author was rushing me to finish my routes in the area, as the book was going to the printers soon. I finally sent the route, and submitted the name and grade to the author without getting anyone else on the route. Shortly thereafter I learned that someone found much better beta than I did for the crux. Now my inflated grade is forever memorialized in the guidebook, making me look like the weakling that I am.

At least I learned my lesson early on.

GO

chris

Jun 20, 2013, 4:30 PM
Post #23 of 36 (10097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cmn003 wrote:

Thanks guys!

Not to ruin the fun, but I'm going to address the OP.

Historically, "red point" came into use in the 1970's to denote that an already established aid climb could be climbed free. In the 1980's it came to represent that someone had climbed a route after multiple attempts (and hanging).

I read somewhere (and I'm trying to find the source) that the term "pink point" was first used in jest for someone who climbed a route with pre-placed gear or quickdraws. For a while in the late 1980's (maybe even in the 1990's), magazine used this distinction.

But with 5.14+ and 5.15 climbing becoming more and more common (relative to 20 years ago), pre-placed draws are becoming more and more common. The magazines stopped making the "red point" versus "pink point" distinction. On gear routes, its simply stated today that it was climbed on pre-placed gear.

(This post was edited by chris on Jun 20, 2013, 4:31 PM)

olderic

Jun 20, 2013, 5:26 PM
Post #24 of 36 (10072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chris] What type of climbing is it when the quickdraws are already placed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chris wrote:
Not to ruin the fun, but I'm going to address the OP.

Historically, "red point" came into use in the 1970's to denote that an already established aid climb could be climbed free. In the 1980's it came to represent that someone had climbed a route after multiple attempts (and hanging).

I read somewhere (and I'm trying to find the source) that the term "pink point" was first used in jest for someone who climbed a route with pre-placed gear or quickdraws. For a while in the late 1980's (maybe even in the 1990's), magazine used this distinction.

But with 5.14+ and 5.15 climbing becoming more and more common (relative to 20 years ago), pre-placed draws are becoming more and more common. The magazines stopped making the "red point" versus "pink point" distinction. On gear routes, its simply stated today that it was climbed on pre-placed gear.

Actually in the 70's the phrase "redpoint" hadn't been coined yet because Kurt hadn't started painting his circles - but as you say the sentiment was there and the lingo was "FFA" (First free Ascent as opposed to First Female Ascent)

dynosore

Jun 20, 2013, 5:34 PM
Post #25 of 36 (10064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Serious question: if you're going to pre-place draws, why not just top rope the route? You're really only pretending to "lead" at that point anyways.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook