RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

eps

Jun 22, 2013, 2:00 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I am taking a break from university for a semester or year or so and plan to travel alone in China, Vietnam, South Korea, Taiwan or wherever I feel like when there..

What I expect of my trip is essentially four things:

Meeting nice people.
Having fun.
Climbing.
Seeing new places and cultures.

I will be traveling with sport climbing gear, including rope and hope to climb as much as possible, and find the nice people through climbing in a way.

My question is about what you think is the best way to approach this? One plan is to take the transmongolian railway to Beijing, go to a climbing gym and say: Hey, where should I go now?

Any experience with traveling as an alone climber? Any good places where climbers pass by on the daily?

Anyone planning a similar trip and want to meet up at some point?

All inputs and people that wants to meet up are welcome! Smile

(This post was edited by eps on Jun 22, 2013, 2:08 PM)

Elisapb

Jul 21, 2013, 9:20 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eps] Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

IŽll be travelling in SEA for 3 months starting in October, my plan is very similar to yours. Visit new places, climb as much as possible. IŽll probably take with me my climbing shoes and harness.

Have you decide your route yet? Im still figuring it out. But would be great to meet

Cheers,

Elisa

eps

Jul 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Elisapb] Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello, sounds great!

Well yeah, I am at least starting to get a grip on how I am going to start this :P

My plan is to fly to Hong Kong in the middle of September, perhaps take it easy there for a while, and then go to Yangshuo in China and hope to find people to climb and hang with there. And depending on how that feels, whom I meet and how my plans might mix with theirs, I might stay there until it gets colder/VISA ends and then go to Vietnam, Laos or where ever I feel for at that time :) I will have a very open approach..

What is your plan? Something similar? It would be very fun to meet up! :D You looking for a climbing partner or travel partner or simply the comfort in someone expecting you? :)

The best,

Erik

lalipsie

Jul 26, 2013, 9:42 AM
Post #4 of 9 (3691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eps] Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there, I am thinking of taking a year off and travelling through Asia, would like to travel with someone and experience lots but also climb along the way. I am wanting to travel in about 2 months where are you, are you still travelling? Kim
In reply to:

eps

Jul 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lalipsie] Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Kim, In about two months, end of september I have pretty much just started my trip :) I will probably be in Yangshuo in China by then and will most probably stay there for a while. Are you planning to go to Yangshuo?

Perhaps we can meet there? Hang out, climb and get to know each other and maybe we will want to travel together for a while :)

Cheers Erik

Gleonl

Aug 2, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello, im gino, from chile. Actually I'm traveling through se asia since a few months. I've spent a month on tonsai beach, krabi, thailand. That place is really awesome. A nice and warm climbing community there, and so good limestone climb.

After that, I came to vang vieng, on laos, with no luck, cause is low and rainy season, so no climbers there.

Now I am on viet nam, looking forward to go climbing and check the place, since it looks so cool.

So, if you are close, we can climb together. Let me know.

Gino

SattMande

Aug 28, 2013, 7:32 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gleonl] Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be getting on a plane to Thailand in a couple weeks, and heading to Chiang Mai to check out Crazy Horse and the surrounding area. I'll be in Thailand for 10 months or so for climbing. Let me know if any of you guys come through Thailand and would like to climb together!

davo29

Sep 1, 2013, 7:50 AM
Post #8 of 9 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SattMande] Traveling as an alone climber in South East Asia fall -13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll be climbing in krabi till mid sep then i think i will catch the end of the season in koh tao b4 the monsoon hits then back towards krab n ton i shall see , i'm boulder , sport an trad climb to . if anyone is interested in hitting up koh tao to put up some new lines on trad let me know

eps

Oct 3, 2013, 9:32 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm currently in yangshuo and enjoying the climbing a lot!

I will probably continue into Vietnam, cambodia, laos or something in a couple of weeks, anyone wants to go with me? Or perhaps go to getu valley?

Cheers!

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook