Premier Sponsor:

ACJ

Jun 24, 2013, 10:46 AM
Post #1 of 3 (398 views)
Shortcut

Job Choices
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I've been pulling my hair out and losing sleep over 3 upcoming job opportunities and am finally starting to try and gather other peoples points of view on it.

By July 15th I have to make a decision on the following options:

Job #1
40k in Sandpoint Idaho as an Adventure Coordinator working with at risk youth in a therapeutic boarding school.
Reasons to go:
1. Best paying option
2. Something like 200 days off a year
3. This is the specific job I've worked towards for a long time
Not to go:
1. Small town Idaho (6000 people)
2. Therapists say things like "don't be such a girl" to the kids
3. The interview was horrible. Even the CEO didn't know who I was and some of the staff were confrontational and close minded towards the idea of an adventure program

Job #2
32k in Portand, Oregon as a Youth Mentor working with at risk teens in the traditional school system. I'd basically be a professional big brother.
Reasons to go:
1. No move necessary and a flexible schedule
2. Great job security
3. Extremely well respected program
Not to go:
1. They want a 5 year commitment
2. Living in a city is a challenge for me
3. Big career change

Job #3
28-32k in Bend, Oregon doing backpacking wilderness therapy with youth who are spending 90 days in the desert.
Reasons to go:
1. I've always wanted to live in Bend. 30 minutes to Smith rock, Mt. Bachelor and all kinds of other outdoor activities
2. Schedule is 8 days on 6 days off which is nice for traveling
3. Opportunities to move up quickly in a well established company
Not to go:
1. Lateral/backwards career move. I've done jobs like this before and would have to work towards a leadership position
2. Lowest starting pay (tops out around 37k)
3. 8 on 6 off is a blessing and a curse when it comes to having a normal life.

My brain seems to cycle between the three and isn't settling on any one. More often then not though I seem to lean towards the Bend job because of its location. I've spent a lot of my life rock climbing but also love to snowboard/splitboard and just started mountaineering. From a career standpoint I've invested the last 8 years working in outdoor recreation for companies like Outward Bound, climbing guide services, other boarding schools with adventure programs and really enjoyed it. Strangely enough I recently have felt like I would rather not teach anymore. I'm 29 now and would actually like to just focus on my personal outdoor goals instead of spending so much time introducing the skills to others. It seems like as I get older climbing 200 days a year institutionally and 100 days a year for fun just sucks the motivation and strength out of me...

So feel free to toss any thoughts out, harsh or thought provoking on career choices, life choices, the importance of location vs pay vs stature or whatever else you might want!

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #2 of 3 (364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACJ] Job Choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do what you would be most happy with, taking $$$ out of the picture.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #3 of 3 (332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACJ] Job Choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a dice. 1 and 4 represent represent option #1. 2 and 5 represent option #2. 3 and 6 are option #3.

Go roll the dice. The results of the dice are going to determine which job you will take. Do not read any further until you have done this.

Now, think back. As you rolled the dice, one of the options was in your head. This is the option you should take.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook