RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

torndimension

Jun 30, 2013, 4:53 AM
Post #1 of 13 (10789 views)
Shortcut

Small hard bump under the skin at the base of finger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a small hard bump that i can feel under the skin at the base of the inner part of my finger. It started to form the day after i was doing a lot of overhang climbing that kind of cut into the base of my fingers. What could it be? How do I treat it? Thanks!

majid_sabet

Jun 30, 2013, 7:06 AM
Post #2 of 13 (10763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [torndimension] Small hard bump under the skin at the base of finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your body is telling to back off so give it some time to rest and do not use them in climbing.

acorneau

Jun 30, 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #3 of 13 (10741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [torndimension] Small hard bump under the skin at the base of finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

torndimension wrote:
There is a small hard bump that i can feel under the skin at the base of the inner part of my finger. It started to form the day after i was doing a lot of overhang climbing that kind of cut into the base of my fingers. What could it be? How do I treat it? Thanks!

Sounds like a ganglion cyst to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

maldaly

Jun 30, 2013, 4:58 PM
Post #4 of 13 (10712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which finger? Is it on the palm side or back side. Ganglions usually form on the back side. If it's the palm side it could dupuytrens contracture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...tren%27s_contracture

I've had one on my left hand for decades and it has yet to cause much of a problem. Donini had one that was bad enough to need surgery.

Good luck with it,
Mal

torndimension

Jun 30, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #5 of 13 (10705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Small hard bump under the skin at the base of finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think it's a ganglion because it's on the inner part of my finger, not the backside, and it's too small to be one, just a small little bump.

i looked up the contracture and it doesn't seem to be that either. it's just a bump, doesnt affect mobility but it just painfully rubs up against the nerves. does that mean it could be a bone spur? it's hard, but i don't know if it's hard enough to be calcified bone or if it's just a hardened circular (1~2mm) inflammation of something

does any other ailment cause a hard little bump to form that kind of rubs up against the nerves other than a bone spur? im surprised i didn't notice it until last week, but maybe it's been growing over time and finally hit a nerve

onceahardman

Jun 30, 2013, 7:30 PM
Post #6 of 13 (10691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody ever believes me, but I'm pretty convinced I have formed these in the 2nd and 3rd flexor tendons bilaterally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesamoid_bone

I think they form as a response to the abnormally large forces climbers put on their fingers. They only bother me when I climb a lot of fingery stuff. I've had them for well over 20 years.

Partner cracklover

Jul 1, 2013, 3:51 PM
Post #7 of 13 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

torndimension wrote:
i don't think it's a ganglion because it's on the inner part of my finger, not the backside, and it's too small to be one, just a small little bump.

i looked up the contracture and it doesn't seem to be that either. it's just a bump, doesnt affect mobility but it just painfully rubs up against the nerves. does that mean it could be a bone spur? it's hard, but i don't know if it's hard enough to be calcified bone or if it's just a hardened circular (1~2mm) inflammation of something

does any other ailment cause a hard little bump to form that kind of rubs up against the nerves other than a bone spur? im surprised i didn't notice it until last week, but maybe it's been growing over time and finally hit a nerve

Sounds exactly like a ganglion cyst. They form quite suddenly, and then often grow slowly over time. I used to get them all the time at the base of my fingers, on the palmar side. If that's what it is, it's nothing to worry about. But you can't be diagnosed over the internet.

GO

torndimension

Jul 1, 2013, 4:32 PM
Post #8 of 13 (10640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Small hard bump under the skin at the base of finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
torndimension wrote:

Sounds exactly like a ganglion cyst. They form quite suddenly, and then often grow slowly over time. I used to get them all the time at the base of my fingers, on the palmar side. If that's what it is, it's nothing to worry about. But you can't be diagnosed over the internet.

GO

so with ganglions, i assume i just employ RICE, and if it doesnt go away i should consider surgery to drain it?

Partner cracklover

Jul 1, 2013, 4:43 PM
Post #9 of 13 (10637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

torndimension wrote:
cracklover wrote:
torndimension wrote:

GO

so with ganglions, i assume i just employ RICE, and if it doesnt go away i should consider surgery to drain it?

I don't think RICE will do anything to a ganglion, except I suppose it would probably keep it from growing. A ganglion cyst is a small herniation in the tendon sheath, allowing a little of the synovial fluid to leak into the inner layers of sheath, forming that bump. There's nowhere else for it to go, so it's not going anywhere.

The old fashioned way of dealing with a big ganglion was to hit it with a big book - popping it! The new version is not entirely dissimilar conceptually. They use a needle to poke lots of holes to drain it back into your hand. I wouldn't recommend doing either on your own!

GO

jae8908

Jul 1, 2013, 9:30 PM
Post #10 of 13 (10600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on how hard your were squeezing the holds, it could be a pebble that got pressed under the skin......

torndimension

Jul 4, 2013, 7:19 AM
Post #11 of 13 (10492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i found out that it is a ganglion cyst, but since it's like only a 1mm, the doctor said it's too small to do an injection, which sucks. i guess i'll just keep climbing, and hopefully it either goes away or gets bigger to be operated on

acorneau

Jul 5, 2013, 1:49 AM
Post #12 of 13 (10434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [torndimension] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

torndimension wrote:
i found out that it is a ganglion cyst,

Woo hoo! One internet point for me.

Wink

Partner cracklover

Jul 8, 2013, 4:52 PM
Post #13 of 13 (10328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [torndimension] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

torndimension wrote:
i found out that it is a ganglion cyst, but since it's like only a 1mm, the doctor said it's too small to do an injection, which sucks. i guess i'll just keep climbing, and hopefully it either goes away or gets bigger to be operated on

Believe it or not, it doesn't suck. Ganglion cysts are just about the best diagnosis you could hope for. Put a piece of climbing tape around that joint and I'm betting you won't even notice it as you're climbing.

GO

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook