RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

DaUndefeatedGol

Jul 2, 2013, 4:13 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5254 views)
Shortcut

Should I get a smaller harness?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm new to climbing and I got a Black Diamond Momentum in Large. The specs say this should fit a 33-36 inch waist. I have a 33-34 inch waist but to get the waist belt tight enough to pass the "two finger" test I really have to crank down on the waist belt so that there is 5-6 inches of tail.

Also, I have to adjust the leg loops all the way to their tightest setting to get them really snug.

Should I go to a medium? The medium says it holds up to a 33 inch waist so I don't want to barely squeeze into it and have 2 inches of tail.

Does my harness sound like it is too large or is it okay to really have to tighten everything up to make it fit properly?

(This post was edited by DaUndefeatedGol on Jul 2, 2013, 4:15 PM)

lena_chita

Jul 2, 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DaUndefeatedGol] Should I get a smaller harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A picture would help, but yes, based on things you describe, I would say that you should stick with size large, and not go to medium.

There is nothing wrong with a long tail on the waist belt, you can tuck it in, and it is better than a short tail. It is summertime now, but you may later find yourself wearing the harness over couple layers of clothes, and you would be thankful for a little extra room.

DaUndefeatedGol

Jul 2, 2013, 4:52 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Should I get a smaller harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply Lena. I will try and take a picture and post it tonight.

I don't have a concern about the safety of the harness, I'm just wondering if its a good idea to go smaller if I have to really tighten everything down or if that doesn't really matter.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to adjust the leg risers on this harness that would be great. I'm not sure how to shorten them up

(This post was edited by DaUndefeatedGol on Jul 2, 2013, 4:53 PM)

granite_grrl

Jul 2, 2013, 4:58 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found that while I can safely wear a woman's medium harness, I usually need to go with a large to have to gear loops sit right.

This depedns on the harness of course, but as long as you can cinch it down tight enough it seems a larger size will keep the gear loops centered better.

amarius

Jul 2, 2013, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DaUndefeatedGol wrote:
Also, if anyone has any tips on how to adjust the leg risers on this harness that would be great. I'm not sure how to shorten them up

BlackDiamond has this video - watch it, see if it makes sense. Video looks like promo, but there are 1-3 relevant seconds

DaUndefeatedGol

Jul 3, 2013, 7:55 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] Should I get a smaller harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay here are some pics. Let me know what you think. As you can see, the foam padding of the waist belt actually over laps when I really tighten it. You can also see that I have to have the leg loops all the way tightened and I can still get my flat hand in between the pads and my leg.

Keep in mind I am wearing athletic shorts and I will normally be climbing in clothes that have a little more thickness to them

Ugh, actually it says the pic exceeds the size limit. Is there a way to post pics without uploading them as an attachment?

(This post was edited by DaUndefeatedGol on Jul 3, 2013, 7:56 PM)

Syd

Jul 3, 2013, 9:27 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like from the video it has a single waist buckle ? I've found with my Safe Tech with one buckle, that I would have preferred a bigger size to make the gear loops more symmetrical. I'm just about at the limit for the smaller size.
I also disagree with the claim in the video about load distribution on the waist. The adjustable leg riser on the Safe Tech is the key to giving the best comfort in any harness I've yet owned.

billcoe_

Jul 11, 2013, 3:40 AM
Post #8 of 10 (4946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DaUndefeatedGol wrote:
So I'm new to climbing and I got a Black Diamond Momentum in Large. The specs say this should fit a 33-36 inch waist. I have a 33-34 inch waist but to get the waist belt tight enough to pass the "two finger" test I really have to crank down on the waist belt so that there is 5-6 inches of tail.

Also, I have to adjust the leg loops all the way to their tightest setting to get them really snug.

Should I go to a medium? The medium says it holds up to a 33 inch waist so I don't want to barely squeeze into it and have 2 inches of tail.

Does my harness sound like it is too large or is it okay to really have to tighten everything up to make it fit properly?

What I have repeatedly seen in the last 40 years is that folks will grow into their harness's. Then they get a newer and larger one. Which they then grow into. So no worries.

hyhuu

Jul 11, 2013, 1:30 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are better looking for another harness where your waist falls in the middle range so that it can accomodate when you happen to loose a little weigt or additional clothing layers in colder weather.

acorneau

Jul 11, 2013, 8:23 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Should I get a smaller harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
You are better looking for another harness where your waist falls in the middle range so that it can accomodate when you happen to loose a little weigt or additional clothing layers in colder weather.

That's a good idea, but not always a reality.

I regularly wear two different harnesses (Misty Caddy for climbing and Metolius Waldo for setting) and I fall right in between two different sizes in both harnesses. Either it's cranked down all the way in the larger size or I'm near the end in the next smaller size.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook