RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Rankin

Jun 24, 2013, 7:05 PM
Post #1 of 16 (6450 views)
Shortcut

Used Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Guys, Just another reason to be very very very careful IF buying ANY used gear. I just bought a used harness from ebay, for a backup, was nearly new and in great condition. One very BAD problem, it had apparently been taken apart and reassembled or maybe just really tangled up sometime. The problem was that the leg loops were replaced BACKWARDS and UPSIDE DOWN, seemingly not a big deal to the newby,,,, BUT this put 100% of the leg load on the little flimsy centering strap, not the load rated strap for the leg loops!!!!!! I fixed it in a few seconds but someone not experienced may have easily overlooked that rigging.Blush

marc801

Jun 24, 2013, 7:37 PM
Post #2 of 16 (6426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rankin] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rankin wrote:
Hey Guys, Just another reason to be very very very careful IF buying ANY used gear. I just bought a used harness from ebay, for a backup, was nearly new and in great condition. One very BAD problem, it had apparently been taken apart and reassembled or maybe just really tangled up sometime. The problem was that the leg loops were replaced BACKWARDS and UPSIDE DOWN, seemingly not a big deal to the newby,,,, BUT this put 100% of the leg load on the little flimsy centering strap, not the load rated strap for the leg loops!!!!!! I fixed it in a few seconds but someone not experienced may have easily overlooked that rigging.Blush
Personally, I would never buy safety-critical soft goods off of eBay, but that's just me. The one possible exception is if the seller is actually the manufacturer of said goods.

dagibbs

Jun 24, 2013, 7:53 PM
Post #3 of 16 (6420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hunh?

Harnesses should not be able to be dis-assembled and re-assembled without unstitching then re-stitching.

They can, and do, often get tangled/twisted up. I thought it was fairly normal, and expected, that one would carefully untangle/untwist one's harness to make sure it was correctly worn each time one went to wear it.

billcoe_

Jun 24, 2013, 8:18 PM
Post #4 of 16 (6401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who buys harness's off ebay? Jesus. Last one I bought was eaten through at the leg loops about 1/2 way. Really. Misty Mt Cirque. The 2 before that (Misty Mt Cadillac and a Metolius Waldo) were fine. I'm pretty careful where I go play with that last one. Think people, think. Jesus.

Rankin

Jun 24, 2013, 8:28 PM
Post #5 of 16 (6395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only way it can happen is to unclip back hangers and pull one leg through the belay loop,,,,,,,,,, that's exactly how I fixed it.

Rankin

csproul

Jun 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #6 of 16 (6350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
Hunh?

Harnesses should not be able to be dis-assembled and re-assembled without unstitching then re-stitching.

They can, and do, often get tangled/twisted up. I thought it was fairly normal, and expected, that one would carefully untangle/untwist one's harness to make sure it was correctly worn each time one went to wear it.
Wrong. I own two harnesses in which the leg loops can be completely removed, and could be re-attached upside down.

MrEction

Jun 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #7 of 16 (6286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this is (or should be) common practice when buying ANYTHING off Ebay. You never know what you're going to get, and even if you feel comfortable that what you're getting is decent there is always a chance your getting played.

I just got my first harness off Ebay, and it it came with the leg loops the same way. First thing I did when it arrived was try it on, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Fixed the leg loops pretty easily, and didn't think twice about it.

If you're new enough to climbing that you wouldn't notice and fix something like that with a harness... You probably shouldn't be buying one without supervision anyway.

dagibbs

Jun 25, 2013, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 16 (6225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
Hunh?

Wrong. I own two harnesses in which the leg loops can be completely removed, and could be re-attached upside down.

Ok. Any ones I've looked at haven't looked like they could, but it may be that I haven't looked at them closely enough.

rocknice2

Jun 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #9 of 16 (6091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Who buys harness's off ebay? Jesus. Last one I bought was eaten through at the leg loops about 1/2 way. Really. Misty Mt Cirque. The 2 before that (Misty Mt Cadillac and a Metolius Waldo) were fine. I'm pretty careful where I go play with that last one. Think people, think. Jesus.

Your actually using that harness. Jesus

billcoe_

Jun 28, 2013, 2:38 AM
Post #10 of 16 (6007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

I don't climb anything too serious with it. Anything long (Epinephrine, Crest jewel via Arches) or in the outback (Jimmies, Coethedral) I go with a solid harness.
gym climbing...meh. Good to go.

marc801

Jun 28, 2013, 5:49 AM
Post #11 of 16 (5987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

I don't climb anything too serious with it. Anything long (Epinephrine, Crest jewel via Arches) or in the outback (Jimmies, Coethedral) I go with a solid harness.
If serious, this is nothing short of idiotic reasoning.

majid_sabet

Jun 28, 2013, 6:49 AM
Post #12 of 16 (5972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought at least over 10 harnesses from ebay and never had any issues. you need to know when they were made and most people who sale harnesses and shoes on ebay are one time climber who wanted to try things up and gave up the next month.

Now if seller is selling old cams and draws and he has a harness for sale then I'll stay away from his auction.Always look to see what other item seller is selling. if he has too many other climbing stuff for sale and they all have millage on them then he is upgrading his gear and he wants you to buy his junk.Either that or he just had a baby.

rocknice2

Jun 28, 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #13 of 16 (5947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

Gotcha. Perfect for bouldering at the gym.

billcoe_

Jul 9, 2013, 5:54 PM
Post #14 of 16 (5742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

Yup, totally serious. Thanks for the heads up. Why is it idiotic?

sits all I got........

marc801

Jul 9, 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #15 of 16 (5698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Yup, totally serious. Thanks for the heads up. Why is it idiotic?
When you're a couple hundred feet off the deck, the harness doesn't know if it's a serious or merely casual route. If it's going to fail, the route difficultly or length is irrelevant. If that is the basis of your decision making process about whether to use the harness or not, that is the idiotic reasoning.

billcoe_

Aug 19, 2013, 5:33 PM
Post #16 of 16 (5405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Used Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
When you're a couple hundred feet off the deck, the harness doesn't know if it's a serious or merely casual route. If it's going to fail, the route difficultly or length is irrelevant. If that is the basis of your decision making process about whether to use the harness or not, that is the idiotic reasoning.

I suppose idiotic would presuppose how you see the harness failing.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook