Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

DaUndefeatedGol

Jul 8, 2013, 2:54 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6287 views)
Shortcut

Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry for so many noob questions.

I know climbing shoes are supposed to be really tight, even uncomfortable.

I wear a size 12 street shoe so I thought I'd be playing it safe when I ordered a size 12.5 mad rock shoe on clearance.

However the shoe is still extremely tight. On my left foot its definitely uncomfortable but not painful and I can walk around for a while and it feels okay.

However, despite appearing to be the same size my right foot hurts in this shoe. My big toe is curled up a bit and the knuckle hurts when I walk on it. Is this normal? Can I stretch a synthetic shoe at all with a shoe stretcher or any other method? If I could just get it to fit like it does on my left foot I think I'd be fine with that.

Not sure if I should send them back and get a size 13 but I don't want to wait another 2 weeks for shoes when I'm supposed to be climbing again in a few days.

Thanks for the advice

lena_chita

Jul 8, 2013, 3:02 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DaUndefeatedGol] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing shoe selection lesson m=number one: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

You could send the shoes back, replace them with size 13, and STILL have problems. Who knows what's wrong?

Maybe your right foot is bigger than your left, and you need to order split sizes, which pretty much means that you are limited to Evolv shoes.

Maybe this particular pair of shoes is not well-made, and another pair of the same shoes in the exact same size will be fine

Maybe you just need a different model of shoes, b/c in this particular model there is a seam, or something, right at the spot where your toe knuckle hits, but in a different model it won't be an issue.

Maybe you need leather instead of synthetic, bc they will stretch and accommodate slight difference in foot shape or size.

On and on...

Bottom line, find a store. Go on a trip to find a store, if you have to. Try shoes on. All shoes. Multiple sizes of every model. Buy the one that fits snug without hot spots.

DaUndefeatedGol

Jul 8, 2013, 3:12 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I bought them without trying them is because they were like $45 which seemed worth the risk. That being said, I think they shoes will work if they can stretch just a bit.

Will synthetic stretch at all?

granite_grrl

Jul 8, 2013, 4:04 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DaUndefeatedGol] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DaUndefeatedGol wrote:
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I bought them without trying them is because they were like $45 which seemed worth the risk. That being said, I think they shoes will work if they can stretch just a bit.

Will synthetic stretch at all?

Not really, but they will conform to your foot a little (but not in the same way that a pair of leather shoes will).

Figuring out what shoes works for your feet takes a lot of trial an error. I've had some great hits, and some great misses, but fortunatly I have bought most of my shoes on super sale and I just chock it up to a learning experience.

You will also find that your feet get more used to climbing shoes over time as well. Shoes that I think are comfortable will still seem quite tight and unconfortable to a newer climber. That being said, I have shoes that I used to wear in my first 3-4 years of climbing that I couldn't dream of wearing now with the way I used downsize and cram my feet into them.

Syd

Jul 8, 2013, 11:40 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DaUndefeatedGol wrote:

If you are a new climber, you will not appreciate the benefit of tight shoes. I've now gone back to more comfortable shoes, after damaging my big toes from wearing very tight shoes. I'm now climbing better than I was in the tight shoes a few years back. Unless you are competing, I'd go for comfort, with big toes well in contact with the toe of the shoe, and a good quality shoe. Cheaper shoes can stretch heaps. A good shoe probably won't stretch more than half a size.

curt

Jul 9, 2013, 12:20 AM
Post #6 of 9 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
DaUndefeatedGol wrote:

If you are a new climber, you will not appreciate the benefit of tight shoes...

Nor will you if you're an old climber. Cool

Curt

DaUndefeatedGol

Jul 9, 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay well I've decided to sell these shoes.

Is there a classifieds on this forum? They are brand new, size 12.5 mad rock jesters. I only want what I paid for them. $55 and I will cover shipping to you.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will send you pics. They fit pretty aggressively

Syd

Jul 10, 2013, 12:31 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Syd wrote:
DaUndefeatedGol wrote:

Curt

I am an old climber. I appreciate the benefit but I want to make my body last as long as possible. ;-)

shotwell

Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Shoes hurt big toe on my right foot. Go for bigger size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
curt wrote:
Syd wrote:
DaUndefeatedGol wrote:

Curt

I am an old climber. I appreciate the benefit but I want to make my body last as long as possible. ;-)

Use the right tool for the job and you don't have to brutalize your feet. I wear different shoes for different styles, all of them are comfortable. I get plenty out of my feet.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook