RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

nhdano

Jul 10, 2013, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 16 (11989 views)
Shortcut

Craigslist Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So as a new climber I've taken to checking my local craigslist for used gear. So how many of you would actually buy used gear from a craigslist post? I realize stuff like cams and quicklinks would need to be inspected really well to make sure they are sound but what else should I be looking at?

Kartessa

Jul 10, 2013, 7:48 PM
Post #2 of 16 (11972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nhdano] Craigslist Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nhdano wrote:
So as a new climber I've taken to checking my local craigslist for used gear. So how many of you would actually buy used gear from a craigslist post? I realize stuff like cams and quicklinks would need to be inspected really well to make sure they are sound but what else should I be looking at?

everything would need inspection, anything soft like webbing (that fabricy shit thats attached) will have to get tossed.

You will more than likely get hosed.

bearbreeder

Jul 10, 2013, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 16 (11962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

go with someone highly experienced to check out the gear ...

honestly if you need to ask whats good or not on craigslist on the intrawebs, you shouldnt be buying used gear

Wink

Partner camhead

Jul 10, 2013, 8:07 PM
Post #4 of 16 (11962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Craigslist Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends, obviously. I wouldn't go so far as to toss all soft gear as Kartessa says. Plenty of people use craigslist just to sell gear that they don't use anymore.

Also, keep an eye out for CL gear that is obviously stolen; if you think it might be, talk around your local climbing community to see if anyone has had gear stolen recently.

marc801

Jul 10, 2013, 9:55 PM
Post #5 of 16 (11920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Craigslist Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Also, keep an eye out for CL gear that is obviously stolen; if you think it might be, talk around your local climbing community to see if anyone has had gear stolen recently.
Check the appropriate climbing forums for your area as often the victims of theft will post about it. A lot of times those forums are not the ones here.

Some other signs that the gear is stolen is if the seller knows little or nothing about climbing, lists the items with incorrect names (eg: snap-links instead of biners), etc.

But seriously, as the one who fornicates with bears said, if you are asking here about what to buy/not buy or watch out for on CL, then you definitely shouldn't be buying the stuff on your own.

MrEction

Jul 11, 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #6 of 16 (11829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of people get very adamant about not buying gear online. Especially if it's used!

I don't think you should ignore a deal based on paranoia, but you DO need to be very careful! It's like buying anything online. You can never be 100% sure what you're getting until you've got it.

The upside to Craigslist is that you get to physically check out whatever you're buying before you buy it. Go check it out first, and use common sense.

Any obvious tears/wear/fraying on a harness?
Cracked seams or worn out rubber/leather on shoes?
Cracks/dents/rust/bends on any trad gear or biners?
Don't buy a used rope. From what I understand they can look fine, and you'll never know how many F2+ falls it's had.

If there's any doubt don't buy it. Remember, you're putting your life in it's hands.

Kartessa

Jul 11, 2013, 2:10 PM
Post #7 of 16 (11805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MrEction] Craigslist Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its funny how people are stressing that its ok to buy stuff used as long as you inspect it thoroughly.

But this guy don't know the diff between a carabiner and a quicklink.

MrEction

Jul 11, 2013, 2:15 PM
Post #8 of 16 (11800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Its funny how people are stressing that its ok to buy stuff used as long as you inspect it thoroughly.

Who me? At what point did I confuse carabiners with quicklinks?

shoo

Jul 11, 2013, 3:14 PM
Post #9 of 16 (11781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MrEction wrote:
Don't buy a used rope. From what I understand they can look fine, and you'll never know how many F2+ falls it's had.

You do realize that it's basically impossible to have a fall factor greater than 2, right?

<yes, I know, via ferratta, shut up>

MrEction

Jul 11, 2013, 3:19 PM
Post #10 of 16 (11774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Craigslist Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
MrEction wrote:

You do realize that it's basically impossible to have a fall factor greater than 2, right?

No, I didn't know that. I knew that ropes were rated for only so many F2 falls, and assumed it was possible (if unlikely) to exceed it.

Assumptions make an ass out of you and umptions...

shoo

Jul 11, 2013, 3:27 PM
Post #11 of 16 (11768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MrEction wrote:
No, I didn't know that. I knew that ropes were rated for only so many F2 falls, and assumed it was possible (if unlikely) to exceed it.

FF=(fall distance)/(length of rope out).

FF2 occurs when a climber falls twice as far as the amount of total rope out. This can (basically) only happen if a climber is climbing above the anchor, places no gear, and falls all the way below the anchor, on a multi-pitch climb.

If anyone takes a SINGLE FF2 fall a) they are probably fucked due to the extreme forces involved (anchor ripping, belayer unable to hold, etc.), and b) that rope is retired, period.

The number of falls a rope has taken is almost completely irrelevant, and the fall factor rating on ropes is absolutely useless (and arguably COUNTER to the actual durability of a rope)

Kartessa

Jul 11, 2013, 3:29 PM
Post #12 of 16 (11766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MrEction wrote:
shoo wrote:
MrEction wrote:

2 things:

1. It was the OP that talks about quick links

2. Ropes are not rated to so many FF2 falls.
I do not know the specifics but a section of rope is measured out, a weight is attached and is dropped a set height repeatedly over an edge until the rope fails.

MrEction

Jul 11, 2013, 4:06 PM
Post #13 of 16 (11752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did some more reading...

I guess it's a factor 1.77 fall in the UIAA test.

I don't know how I misunderstood Fall Factor after lurking around here as long as I did, but now it seems kind of obvious...

To amend my previous statement: Just don't buy a used rope.

csproul

Jul 11, 2013, 4:47 PM
Post #14 of 16 (11731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

MrEction wrote:
Did some more reading...

I guess it's a factor 1.77 fall in the UIAA test.

I don't know how I misunderstood Fall Factor after lurking around here as long as I did, but now it seems kind of obvious...

To amend my previous statement: Just don't buy a used rope.
Here's a little advice. This is not intended to be mean, but the advice is real none-the-less.

You are a nOOb. You have been climbing less than 7 months. Here is a recent post from you:
MrEction wrote:
I've scoured the forums for information on getting my first rope. Been climbing since January, and have SLOWLY been putting together my gear. (Could I have picked a more expensive hobby!?) Shoes, harness, biners, chalk, GriGri... Now I need a rope.

Please stop giving advice to climbers, especially other beginners. Especially given that you don't (didn't) understand something as basic as a fall factor.

MrEction

Jul 11, 2013, 4:59 PM
Post #15 of 16 (11724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Craigslist Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense taken.

I don't pretend I'm anything but a n00b, and do not intend to give advice as far as climbing goes!!

The only times I've said anything definitive were in regards to buying gear online, and I don't think I said anything that wasn't common sense. Basically 'It can be done as long as you're careful. Just remember your life is on the line.'

I'm here to learn (which I did today...). Not to teach. I'm sorry if you or anyone else got the wrong impression.

Edited for spelling

(This post was edited by MrEction on Jul 11, 2013, 5:00 PM)

markc

Jul 12, 2013, 4:18 PM
Post #16 of 16 (11592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

This. If you're new to climbing, you're probably going to waste a whole lot less time and energy (and potentially money) buying stuff new rather than combing through Craigslist. Besides, unless you're in certain locations, it's doubtful there will be much climbing equipment listed.

If you really want to look for used gear, I'd suggest checking the notice board at any local gyms or shops. If you're buying from someone you might bump into again, you're less likely to get hosed. As has been said, I'd personally avoid any softworks (rope, slings, etc) unless I was buying from a really trusted source.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook