RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jbrown2

Jul 11, 2013, 2:40 PM
Post #1 of 3 (758 views)
Shortcut

The Art of The Tick Mark and The Way of Tooth Brush
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tick Mark = A small mark made with climbers chalk denoting the proper placement of a foot or hand.

Reading the rock is part of climbing out side. Inside you have tape to mark holds but outside, part of the art is knowing what the rock has for you and reading it properly. Yes, sometimes it is hard to see a hold and occasionally there are hidden holds around corners. Tick marks are fine use them but dont abuse them.

It seems that recently these tick marks have been getting larger and have appeared on the rock marking all options. I was climbing just the other day and somebody actually outlined a complete flake that was about two feet long. There have been numerous occasions where there have been multiple six inch "tick" marks noting many options. This is obscene and unnecessary. Working a rout is a skill. Figure out the move, Tick whatever you need to tick, figure out the proper sequence and holds and then remove All unnecessary ticks.

The way of the tooth brush. I dont care what kind or what its made of USE IT. Brush your holds, brush em good. There are more people rock climbing all the time and more people climbing on your project. Keep em clean and tacky. Oh and Brush off those tick marks when your done.

Your beta aint my beta.

Thanks

brooklynclimber

Jul 11, 2013, 5:31 PM
Post #2 of 3 (715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbrown2] The Art of The Tick Mark and The Way of Tooth Brush [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Amen

notapplicable

Jul 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #3 of 3 (666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbrown2] The Art of The Tick Mark and The Way of Tooth Brush [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbrown2 wrote:
Tick Mark = A small mark made with climbers chalk denoting the proper placement of a foot or hand.

Reading the rock is part of climbing out side. Inside you have tape to mark holds but outside, part of the art is knowing what the rock has for you and reading it properly. Yes, sometimes it is hard to see a hold and occasionally there are hidden holds around corners. Tick marks are fine use them but dont abuse them.

It seems that recently these tick marks have been getting larger and have appeared on the rock marking all options. I was climbing just the other day and somebody actually outlined a complete flake that was about two feet long. There have been numerous occasions where there have been multiple six inch "tick" marks noting many options. This is obscene and unnecessary. Working a rout is a skill. Figure out the move, Tick whatever you need to tick, figure out the proper sequence and holds and then remove All unnecessary ticks.

The way of the tooth brush. I dont care what kind or what its made of USE IT. Brush your holds, brush em good. There are more people rock climbing all the time and more people climbing on your project. Keep em clean and tacky. Oh and Brush off those tick marks when your done.

Your beta aint my beta.

Thanks

True story

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook