RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climb4free

Jul 15, 2013, 5:04 PM
Post #1 of 4 (5887 views)
Shortcut

Youth SCS talent coming from ...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

... the Midwest!!!

Granted, there is AWESOME talent coming from all across the U.S. But lets not pass by the middle states as sources of great Youth Competition Climbers.

This blog post is a small compilation of information about up-and-coming "Rock Stars" out of the "flat" states.
http://realworldclimbing.com/...-the-obscure-states/

Where else do you see talent to be heeded?

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 23, 2013, 8:45 PM
Post #2 of 4 (5774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] Youth SCS talent coming from ... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it has to do with the excellent gyms they are building out there. Vertical Endeavors in Minnesota was an outstanding facility when we went there. Climb Iowa looks great and so does the Rocktown climbing gym that Chloe is a member of.

Land is probably cheap in some of those places and they find creative ways to turn inexpensive buildings into vast climbing surfaces.

I find it more interesting that one of the few states that does not have any substantial indoor climbing to speak of is also the state that has some of the best sport routes in the country. Kentucky definitely could use some indoor gyms for those days when the weather just will not cooperate.

Also there is a 4 time SCS national champion from Fayetteville North Carolina. The closest gym to him with walls above bouldering height is about 70 miles away and that one only has 24 foot walls. Yet he has found a way to absolutely dominate 3 separate age groups in both Bouldering and Sport climbing.

If these kids want it bad enough then they will find a way to do it.

shockabuku

Jul 24, 2013, 12:18 AM
Post #3 of 4 (5757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Youth SCS talent coming from ... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
I think it has to do with the excellent gyms they are building out there.

I think it has more to do with hard work.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 24, 2013, 1:39 PM
Post #4 of 4 (5731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Youth SCS talent coming from ... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
I think it has to do with the excellent gyms they are building out there.

I think it has more to do with hard work.

I didn't mean that the gyms were the only thing that makes the difference. I meant that your hard work can only take you so far in Sport climbing if you only climb in a small bouldering gym.

It is darn near impossible to get the endurance required to be a National Champion Sport climber if your tallest wall is at bouldering height. Those gyms in the mid west all have fairly tall walls and they are outstanding facilities.

These kids couldn't get where they are today without the hard work. However, they also couldn't get there without the great coaching and facilities that they have.

I have seen a ton of great talent never reach their full potential simply because their hard work didn't pay off as much climbing on a woody in the garage as it would if they had Stone Summit in their backyard.

I have also seen even more kids who do have a world class gym right next to them not put in the effort and never reach their full potential.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook